TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 March 2016
Picked this sharpening steel up after looking over all the options available to sharpen knives. There's some fancy stuff out there, but they all seemed to have mixed reviews - no matter how magical, or expensive, they were. My parents had always used sharpening steel as a kid, and the reviews were terrific for this.

Turns out it was an excellent choice to pick this up. It's a simple process to sharpen the knives (although definitely something you'll need to practice once or twice) and quite fun to do! I ended up finding as many knives as I could find in the kitchen to test this out.

If you're looking for something to sharpen knives, this is what you should get first. It's a basic tool that should be in every kitchen and it has many positive reviews for a reason. If you have a friend who doesn't have one, it would also make an excellent gift.
on 5 April 2014
I'm no chef, but I do like sharp knives. This is my second steel from Amazon. The first been the fancy silver handled cheap one, that served it's purpose for about two years. At this cheap money, I think it's all you need. Get your use out of them, and replace them. Maybe the expensive ones last longer, but I'm not taking that chance. You'll know when they start losing their effectiveness. Steel will feel smoother, and knifes duller. This one sharpens my cheap knives very well with a few strokes. The handle and ring on the top are excellent. They may not last forever, but at this money, I can't complain.
on 16 May 2017
Good quality steel for the price and does a great job. Has a fine to medium grade for keeping quality knives with a good edge professionally sharp. This grade won't be as effective upon knives that have been poorly maintained or that have been completely blunted (they'll need a much coarser steel, a wet stone or other means of bringing the edge back first), then use this grade of steel regularly from then onwards. Ultimately, it's designed to maintain a good working edge on knives that are already very sharp and they do this very well. Use one of these steels EVERY TIME you use any given knife, your knives will NEVER go blunt on you and they'll always have an excellent edge.

*** Learn how to use a steel properly as well for best results. *** Plenty of video tutorials for this if you don't know a professional to teach you. With practice you can soon maintain professional edges!!

Would recommend and buy another if I lost it. 5/5.
on 11 April 2014
Hi, Over the years I have tried all sorts of sharpeners. Electric, manual, belt. This is the best one by a country mile. I have now thrown the others out. This will now outlast me. Very good price for a class act. Hope this helps you to decide. Chris.
on 29 December 2013
Should have bought one of these years ago and not silly sharpeners with wheels. I've sharpened 4 knives that no longer had sharp blades using the correct technique and after 5 cuts on each side they are as sharp as when they were new. Excellent.
on 20 April 2017
Have used many of these in my lifetime but this one has been the best by far. Have sharpened all knives in my house in no time and now have the peace of mind that when I'm going to cut myself I'm going to make a good job of it. Not to heavy to hold or use and very sturdy. Protection for hand more than suitable so should only be cutting yourself with your newly sharpened knives. Arrived on time, well packaged with great guarantee. Would recommend.
on 16 June 2017
The handle could be a little more comfortable, rather than using hard plastic, but the steel sharpens just fine. The steel has a useful ring on the handle end which I use to hang the steel in my shed as it is used for sharpening my fishing knives, which it does well.
VINE VOICEon 4 June 2017
Good old fashioned sharpening steel.

Tested on a loaf of bread and a paper cut.

Put a sharp edge on in seconds.

Very solid tool.
on 20 March 2017
The serrations are not very course, so I doubt that this will sharpen very quickly. However it is well made with a good hand protection collar.
on 3 May 2017
Using this on a 19cm Victorinox Fibrox.
Does the job.
Decent price and just the right size for me.