on 23 December 2016
Here is my experience with these cameras. When I bought one of these I was foolish enough to allow my initial impressions to lead me to buy another one. So, they both worked for a while and then one of them broke (the video goes completely blank, only the microphone continues to function). So, I contacted Logitech support and it took me a week or two to explain that this is not a software issue but a hardware one. So, they replaced it with a new one. Then, the second one broke in exactly the same way (tested on different USB ports and three different computers and two different operating systems --- exactly the same result). So, I contacted Logitech again and after a few weeks of explaining they eventually replaced this one as well. The replacement worked for a few more months and it broke as well (in exactly the same way!) So I contacted Logitech again and this time it took TWO MONTHS of explaining what the issue is, but eventually they REFUSED to replace it because it's been more than 30 days since the previous replacement. So, beware when buying this product as you will only get TWO replacements and when it breaks the third time (as I am sure it will) you will get nothing and will be forced to buy a different webcam.
on 6 February 2016
Just as in Tigran Aivazian's review, my C270 went blank after about one and a half years. Well not exactly blank. It showed an image that looked something like a bar code.

I can honestly say that not one of the cameras I have owned over the last 60 years has ever let me down. From my first Brownie Box camera to my RoadHawk Dash Cam, not one of them has given me cause to complain, not even my CCT cameras that have been outside in all weather for over 10 years.

Let me assure you that this is a genuine fault with the camera, not my computer. I have 2 desktop computers and a laptop and its the same on all of them.

I switched back to my old Logitech Quickcam that I brought way back in 2008 and everything is back to normal, apart from the fact that the Quickcam does not have as good a picture.
on 19 May 2017
First Logitech webcam failed after 14 months. While waiting for a replacement we bought a C270. That also failed after 14 months. Logitech no longer honor their guarantees, having retrospectively changed the terms to now require you have ONLY the latest Windows. If it worked on another OS and then stops working, Logitech now have no interest. Their equipment appears prone to fail and their "guarantee" worthless. Avoid.
on 22 November 2017
I really like this webcam. The shape and look of it is really nice, with a sturdy monitor clip. And the video quality is truly excellent for something this cheap. I can't say how good the microphone quality is, myself being the transmitter in video calls, but people can hear you. The LED is also a nice addition for when the camera is on. That said, webcams can be accessed remotely by hackers without turning the LED on; just something to bear in mind. Great purchase.
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2015
Quite possibly the best webcam (in this price bracket) I have ever owned and used. The picture quality is very good (720p) the motion lag is minimal at 30fps the sound and contrast levels out of the box are very good, lets delve in further.

With Skype - The camera was instantly detected, however I did have to select the camera microphone over my PC's own microphone input (this was simple in a drop down, but may mystify other users not so tech savvie).

With Open Broad Cast - The camera was set up as a Video Device feed and set to size works well, the microphone pick up, with a little boost was excellent, and we can use the camera not only for close shots whilst streaming gaming/chat, but also we can use the OBS as a security camera, so that we can monitor our property whilst we are out and out!

The only negative so far has been that when the lense is directed towards direct light, or a bright lit scene everything saturates to maximum white and you loose the edges on any object in the white blur, but this is normal for a camera to struggle in this extreme of too much light. With a normal room it makes for excellent webcam service, and with minimal light switching to IR it still picks up a decent picture (however you do have to remove certain things inside the camera - filters - which voids your warranty).

The clip to hold it onto your monitor top is fine, you can get different vertical angles, there is no horizontal swivel however, if you wanted it to be at the edge of your monitor for example it would only picture the side of your head, you have to sit and angle it directly a head of the scene it is to picture.

The distance at which the microphone picks up is also impressive, we can be recording with OBS upstairs and have it pick up (perhaps not the details) but at least the sound of talking downstairs. (over 60 feet, around 3 or 4 corners).

The microphone pick up is more favouring treble than base, so you may have problems recording musical performances with this camera, however, I doubt that's it's intended purpose and therefore not something one can fault it for.
on 16 April 2016
What I especially like about the Logitech C270 HD Webcam was as soon it was plugged into the USB socket the computer recognised as new hardware and straight away installed the appropriate Windows drivers. Next the sheer ease of typing into the Webpage Address bar – [...] and simply finding the Logitech C270 HD Webcam by simply clicking on Webcams, and then downloading the Logitech Webcam drivers and Software which downloaded and installed flawlessly just like a dream. Once installed the Logitech C270 HD Webcam gives the facility of motion detection – where one can take one’s photo if desired.

The Logitech C270 HD gives flawless Video and Audio reception and playbacks making the person with whom with you are talking to appear so close by. The Video and Audio reception is simply sublime and very clear.

For saying this Logitech C270 HD Webcam is such a reasonable price it belies its sheer quality. If you do need to have a Webcam then you require to look no further than this excellent pure value-for-money Logitech C270 HD Webcam. You will be as pleased and delighted with your purchase as I am. I sincerely endorse and wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who might need or be thinking about getting a Webcam as this product is simply it. A value product and most reasonably priced.
on 28 December 2015
So far I haven't had any issues with the camera crashing but it is certainly not as good as I expected. The picture quality in a normally lit room is hardly HD quality and that is my biggest disappointment.

The mic picks up my voice well and people on Skype say it's very clear. There is a "follow my face" mode where the camera will zoom in on your face but every now and again (even if I don't move) it zooms out to wide angle, not a problem if you have your trousers on but it can be embarrassing when your messy room is suddenly being beamed across Skype for your mum to see!

If it starts crashing (like others have reported) I will update my review but after using it for a few weeks on windows 8 it is working OK for me. Maybe the software is a problem for others, I downloaded the latest version from the Logitech website.

Basically I find it just OK and nothing more. If I had known how bad the picture would be in normal room light I probably would not have purchased it.
on 14 April 2015
Great thing about this 720p (max) inexpensive webcam is it doesn't have that audio codec used in the top end logitech models that imo sounds nasty if you don't at least find the settings for FM quality audio in recording settings.
It has the sound of a condenser mic with pretty linear frequency range.It's sibilant and crisp without sounding tinny.

As for the camera it's ideal if you aren't sure how powerful the persons pc is that you are getting it for as it can (in the downloadable software) be reconfigured to a lower resolution.
Just search logitechs uk site for the driver software entering the model number and voila.
The follow my face feature when used at 720p can sometimes tax old pcs processors but don't worry on anything i5/7 ish.
Colours and textures look nice and I even recognized my Dad's wallpaper as being spot on the same colour as in real life (He was too).

He's a bit scared that it tracks his face but I told him he can always disconnect it or turn that feature off.
The control panel UI for the camera is a tad big for 720p laptop screens but otherwise this is a steal.

You do have to download the software for it unless windows update is now including it in later versions of windows,theres no disk with it(or i should say there wasn't with ours)
It will work without the logitech software but just be on the max resolution which sometimes shows up too much of a room for some people.
The nice thing about this camera is it just works and you can buy it for someone who isn't crazy about adjusting too many things with confidence. Slower internet upload connections benefit from turning the resolution down for skype and freeze less often if at all once adjusted.

*Item paid for,review voluntary
on 6 March 2015
If you're looking for a HD webcam without a hefty price tag, this is the webcam for you. At just £17 it does the job very well and setting it up is extremely easy, it was just a case of plugging it in and letting Windows 8.1 install the drivers automatically. Having said this, there is software you can download from Logitech's website which offers additional configuration options.

The webcam's video quality is very nice and far exceeds my old 1.2 megapixel webcam I bought in what seems like the stone age now. Despite not being full 1080p HD, the 720p video still looks fantastic and is more than enough for high quality video calls or for recording use, and it runs at 30fps. As long as you're sitting at a medium to long distance the focus is very clear, although anywhere closer than about 15cm will cause focus to be lost slightly, and there is no manual or auto focus built in (one of the few negatives about the C270). The microphone quality is also decent enough to be understood, but not anything amazing. It's a little bit muffled but does the job nonetheless.

Logitech's 'Logitech Webcam Software' is where you can configure the webcam's settings. Here you can adjust things like exposure, gain, brightness, contrast, colour intensity, and white balance. Although it's nice to have these features, the default settings are already adequate. The software also lets you select widescreen and 720p large mode, something you'll want to select if you're after the best quality. My one dislike with the software is its built in 'RightLight' feature which automatically adjusts the settings based on your environment. At night when it's dark the software would illuminate my face to the point in which my skin was literally white in colour and I looked like a glowing ghost. Luckily you can turn this off.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the value for money, in my opinion (unless you're a professional video streamer or recorder) there is no need to pay extra for 1080p HD webcams, this one will suit you perfectly well!
on 16 February 2016
It has been years since I had to buy a webcam, but with the better half living in Germany this year, and only owning an old IBM Thinkpad myself, this camera needed to be bought.

I did some research and this got a good write up. At the time I was using Windows 7, and it autodetected drivers for this fine. Since upgrading the ageing Thinkpad to Windows 10, this camera still works fine automatically.

The mounting method is fairly unique. It simply hooks over the screen. it has a kind of anti-slip rubber on it, to help prevent is slipping off and this works well. You can sit it flat on a table or such, and this works well too.

In terms of quality, it seems to outshine her 2011 Macbook Pro camera over Skype! I tried a few stills and it is good too.

Glad I chose it, and sure it will get me through the year...