These days it would appear that everybody is getting on the tired old band wagon by coming up with 'Vampires in love' tosh. Although there is a slight love element in this story it is more a tale of normal domestic life, well for Vampires anyway.
Matt Haig has a genius for taking, what seems on the surface, a normal everyday family and turning it into something much darker. The fact that it is a tale of vampires trying to give up the blood and 'go straight' is only the start of a gripping story of how life and family won't leave them alone. The real horror is there and sometimes family can be scarier than any blood sucker. (Although they can be the same thing!)

If you like your vampire stories that go beyond a skinny model falling for a tall dark and handsome blood sucker than you'll enjoy this book.
on 25 October 2017
Brilliant book!

Read a lot from this author and I never get disappointed.

Arrived on time in really good condition.
VINE VOICEon 21 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a more bizarre story this is the book to read. An apparently normal family living in a normal street in a normal town have a most unusual secret, they are vampires. The problem is the children don't know it. The story is written in a very 'toungue in cheek' manner and tells the story of this family as the children grow up to realise that they are in fact a bit different to all the other children their age. If you want to find out how the family deal with all these very strange issues then I suggest you read the book. It is well written, witty and very readable. The reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is not because it is not a good book, it is simply not quite the sort of book I would generally choose to read. However, I do admit I did enjoy it, and did find it funny, strange for a book about vampires!
on 3 February 2018
First time I've read a book of this genre and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Vampires in denial, with kids unaware of their heritage, the shocking event that turns their lives upside down and the unravelling that comes with it.
on 8 June 2013
I didn't realise this book was about vampires when I bought it; I haven't read any of the current vampire literature out there, so I'm a vampire virgin. I really enjoyed my introduction to the genre though, more so because this isn't really a fable about bloodsuckers but a much more identifiable story of a dysfunctional family. I found it both sentimental and amusing, as the teenage son struggled to accept who he really was; the (metaphorically) imprisoned wife battled to suppress her disappointment in life for the sake of her family; and the jaded father threatened to bow to his world-weariness. Really, the blood-sucking is secondary to these more realistic issues; but it does, of course, add a certain something to what would otherwise be an everyday tale of normal folk. I found it occasionally lost focus towards the end (SPOILER ALERT: I really couldn't understand why the "unblood" father took his vampire-bitten daughter back to the family he thought had tried to kill her. It didn't make his motivation clear enough SPOILER ALERT OVER) but otherwise found it a rollicking good read.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
That's not a spoiler, I hope. I think it is obvious to most people who read the blurb what this is about. It is entertaining, simply because it is unusual - a "literary genre" take on fantasy. There are certain conventions that come with the genre: there is no background depth, and many logical consequences of the life-style choices of the protagonists are ignored. Improbable behaviours happen in order to fit in with a perfect literary structure and ending. I am finding the choice of imperfect tense throughout considerably irritating, too.
on 19 October 2016
bought as gift, yet to give so no feedback yet but looks very good
on 29 August 2011
Once again Matt Haig has not let me down. I absolutely loved The Last Family in England and The Possession of Mr Cave, but I was a little worried about this novel as I am not usually a fan of vampire fiction. However, this story is so excellently written with the skill and wit just like Matt's other novels and I can't imagine another author pulling it off so well.

The Radleys are a family of vampires that are trying to live a normal middle-class life in Bishopthorpe by abstaining from drinking blood and the vampire lifestyle. They listen to Radio 4 and have normal jobs, but when the daughter stops eating meat, things start to go wrong.

It's certainly a book that you want to try to read in one sitting (not something I can do as I am a slow reader) but it just makes you want to keep reading. This would also make a great film.

I can't wait for a follow-up.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 September 2015
Vastly entertaining and deliciously satisfying. Dark, ever so slightly worrying and yet all in a cheerful 'happy ever after' sort of way. The Radley's is literary soap opera for dark fantasy fans and is, without doubt, one of the best, most engaging books I've read this year.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2011
MH melds the dark World of Vampire's with Suburbia expertly in this good fun novel. The Radley children are oblivious to their heritage until the night that an act of self defence leads Clara to suck the life from the class bully! Before they know it, vegan Clara and her nerdy brother Rowan are swigging from bottles of blood and fighting mid-air with dangerous relatives... A smattering of family values and a semi in a quiet unassuming street bring this book back down to Earth nicely. Amusing and witty, I am very impressed with my first MH and will certainly be looking at his other work.