on 18 May 2017
Very entertaining! Sally has a wonderful turn of phrase. This little gem had me in bits.

Not far removed from Jonathan Maitland's 'HOW TO MAKE YOUR MILLION FROM THE INTERNET'. Both are highly amusing and well worth a read.
on 22 March 2017
Quite enjoyed it.read the whole book in 4hrs.i normally find reading 20 pages a stretch.
on 9 November 2013
Brilliant read! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward to reading Sally's novel. I recommend every aspiring trader should read this book. There are some gems in here!
on 23 November 2006
This is the most readable, witty and seriously wise piece of financial advice I've ever read - and I've read a lot! At the same time it's a great piece of entertainment. However, spread betting is not for the mug punter, so if you are a mug don't buy this book. If, on the other hand, you can take good advice and apply it sensibly then you are on to a winner. The way that financial markets operate can sometimes be a little difficult to fathom, but Sally Nicoll explains things in such a clear and entertaining way that you find yourself becoming expert without ever noticing how it happened. And even if you never get around to taking up the spread betting challenge you will have read a great story brilliantly told. Buy it. Enjoy it. It's great.
on 18 April 2007
Excellent book which points out all the rookie mistakes I make. The book doesn't attempt to teach you how to spread trade, but it does help you identify your weaknesses i.e. irrational gambling, lack of a strategy, and most importantly not knowing your markets. Great read and very helpful!
on 21 November 2006
I was unable to stop reading this hilarious account of Sally's life in Primrose Hill with retired Reggie and much married Michael. She has been betting since she was 8 she says.

Sally's account of making love to her computer from the luxury of her desk reveals how in thrall she was to forex forays where she constantly was on the verge of losing her all.

Well recommended for a Christmas present.
on 17 April 2009
This book has a title that may make you think....and at times the author encourages you in the deceit....that this is a dumb blonde out of her depth. In fact this is one of the cleverest and most enjoyable lessons in betting you will get. Some bitter lessons, hard won, but delivered in the sweetest of pills.

Technical enough to cover the main points of a complex subject the main points are spelt out by an exemplary teacher. Funny and clever. Read, enjoy and learn.
on 23 February 2009
This is the book I have read in shortest amount of time from cover to cover. I could have given 5 stars if the book was thicker with more stories. Sally Nicoll was describing all her mistakes which any experience forex trader or financial spread better would remember when they started trading first time. I was expecting more of her successes too as much as she mad mistakes and lost lot of money. Before describing more of her successes, the book came to an end suddenly.

The language is bit colloquial but it is supposed to be from a diary and hence perfectly acceptable.

Some of the events are hard to believe. They are like dramas but I will give the benefit of doubt to the author. She almost lost 70% of her money and then inherits a will which puts a condition that she invests £20000 in financial betting!
on 25 April 2007
Never before have I read a book from cover to cover without putting it down! Bets and The City is a fun read. Sally's style of writing is honest and humorous.The characters that accompany her on her spread betting journey add another dimention to it. Since finishing the book I am even more obsessed with wanting to start spread betting myself! Thanx Sally! By the way I have just started reading the book again - It already proves to be even better second time round -similar to watching a great movie more than once - it's amazing how some things only sink in when you see, hear, feel it again! I intended to give Bets and The City 5 stars but my mouse moved ever so slightly the moment I clicked and now I don't know how to change the rating..! I can only hope this doesn't happen when I place by trades :-)
on 25 July 2007
I bought this book because I received a mailshot from a company that said that making money from options was easy, if only I paid £2,000 for their course. I was gripped and wanted to do it, but finally sense prevailed, and put spreadbetting into Amazon's search engine and noticed this book had more stars than others. So I bought it. (Well it was a great deal less than £2,000). I read the book in one day, and found all the advice very good, and laughed about her dog Dow Jones, and and her friend much married Michael. I haven't started spreadbetting yet, but I no longer think it's the path to instant riches, and have got a plan that probably would be more successful than if I had no plan, and time will tell to see how far I get along it. Thanks Sally.