Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

I thought this dramatization rather a disappointment. Some of the characters are marvellously well done - Sir Walter and his daughter Elizabeth for example. The Admiral and Mrs Croft were good too as was Frederick Wentworth but I didn't think Anne came over very well as she seemed to spend most of her time not knowing what to say to people which was definitely not how she was in the book where she was depicted as calm and quiet but capable and able to play a full part in social situations with her quiet confidence.

The whole incident of Louisa's fall at Lyme Regis was almost glossed over as though it only took a couple of days for her to recover. It was pivotal to the story but it was almost pushed into the background. Anne's sister, Mary, was portrayed as bordering on insanity in the way she behaved and yet in the book she was portrayed as someone who was a bit of a hypochondriac who could be distracted from her 'ailments' fairly easily by Anne. In the film Anne didn't really seem to know how to treat Mary at all and had minimal effect on her.

I know the book had to be abridged in order to fit it into the time slot available but I felt that the essence of the book had somehow been missed. The ending in the book - either of the alternatives - fitted the rest of the story but the ending n this drama didn't seem right at all to me. Some may enjoy it but I didn't and I shan't be watching it again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 September 2015
Love this movie. This is the second movie version I have seen of Persuasion, the first one being the one from 1995 which is also very good. But this movie is just incredibly​ good and romantic. Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones are superb as Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. This was a movie I just had to buy after I had seen it!
on 8 August 2017
wonderful film
on 20 August 2017
Just loved it!
on 4 October 2015
As many others reviewers of this production of Persuasion have stated, the director's apparent misinterpretation and subsequent direction of the character of Anne Elliot is bewildering. In the book, Anne Elliot is a bright, calm woman with a sensible, practical nature, other than an unfortunate tendency when young to be influenced by her family and godmother.

In this production, we see none of the literary Anne, apart from when someone is injured when she immediately transforms into a Florence Nightingale-esque nurse of strength and fortitude. Unfortunately this only happens twice and for about 30 seconds in total. Otherwise Sally Hawkins alternately gulps, gasps, sobs, hiccups and whispers her way through the entire production. A more insipid character I can't imagine . What the director and actress were thinking they were doing with this character I can't understand but it certainly wasn't following the character of the book. This is a crying shame as I actually think Sally Hawkins is rather a good actress and could have brought a fresh, quite bright and clever layer to the character of Anne had she been directed to.

The production is intended to be more "realistic", with handheld cameras and the like. It works, to an extent - but sadly not well enough. Often I found myself thinking "Yes I understand Anne is supposed to be upset right about now but I don't need to see tear tracks and a bright red watery nose in order to grasp it". The scenery is good, the production of the sets excellent, the use of Lyme Regis very well done - it looked fantastically stormy - and Bath was cleverly filmed to show it in all its Georgian glory, though they play havoc with some of the locations (the Pump Room/Baths and Royal Crescent are a good 20 minute walk away from one another, not a 10 second sprint as suggested at the end of the film). The costumes were sumptuous - but again they dressed Anne in drab, dull fabrics and colours which I'm sure were intended to scream "wallflower" but ended up looking dreary and boring - very much like the interpretation of the production's lead character.

Rupert Penry-Jones is criminally underused I think. He is the purveyor of a lot of brooding looks and stormy frowns which I believe made the character seem somewhat one-dimensional. He really does look the part in long coats, knee-high boots and snowy white cravats - the epitomisation of a Georgette Heyer hero - but I don't believe they exercised his acting chops nearly well enough.

What on earth happened in the last 20 minutes?! Not only does the story suddenly accelerate from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat, rushing to the "grand finale" after much tedious shuffling through Anne's tears and runny red nose for the previous hour and ten minutes, but all sense of propriety and decorum is thrown to the four winds as Anne sprints through Bath without her head covered in pursuit of a man. It is an act one might expect from juvenile, flighty, foolish Lydia Bennett at a push, but not from 28 year old, calm, collected, intelligent Anne Elliot.

To add insult to injury, Sally Hawkins/ Anne then stands for a good five minutes gawping at Capt Wentworth like a guppy fish. I found myself rolling my eyes and shouting at the screen "Oh for god's sake say something woman" much to my boyfriend's amusement. Then to add further insult to injury she snogs him in the middle of the Royal Crescent in the centre of Bath, but only after much gulping and gasping of course. This is the one instance where Rupert Penry-Jones' acting skills came to the fore - he must have had to exercise severe restraint to stop himself from bursting out laughing at the sappy, doe-eyed, watery mess he was face to face with.

This had the potential to be an excellent production - a heavyweight cast, stacks of cash thrown at it by ITV and the chance to ride the wave of adoration for productions such as the BBC's Pride and Prejudice. It falls flat on it's face due to some poor character interpretation and direction.
on 17 February 2015
Two stars just because the settings and costumes were great.

Going to reiterate what has been said before me, blah blah blah, I'm a huge Austen fan...read all the books, blah blah.

This version completely fails to capture the Austen "essence" or what have you. Anne Elliot isn't my favorite Austen heroine by any means, but this adaptation paints a picture of a main character almost completely devoid of personality you wonder why you would ever root for her. I mean I probably projected myself onto her character when I read the novel, but to me Anne exemplifies a woman who has known regret and has learned that she should seize opportunities thrown her way. In growing up she learned her sense of self and how to be true to her own nature. The character in this film constantly sulks and is still plagued into inaction by the thoughts and opinions of the idiots she surrounds herself with. The scene where they kiss is as agonizingly slow, inexplicable. and passionless as the entire movie.

Honestly, this version makes it difficult to understand why Captain Wentworth would have ever believed himself in love with her again.
on 16 March 2016
The movie is terrific. Sally Hawkins is just perfectly cast as the lead.
But the blu-ray version is just terrible. Really poorly done.
The film looks really grainy.
I wish I could get my money back, I would rather not own the movie than own such an awful and substandard transfer of a lovely movie.
on 30 May 2017
For any Jane-ites out there, a word of warning...this is a travesty! It is one of those godawful versions where the screenwriter has added his own scenes to spice up the action, when no spice is required, and none comes from the addition! (Cue Mr Darcy's impromptu swim in the Pemberley lake, which still makes me cringe every time I see it.) Anne Elliott does not take a fall while the party are out for their walk around Winthrop! (And that is only one of the inaccuracies) The language is altogether too modern. Also, whoever cast the piece must have been having a laugh. - Sally Hawkins, whilst a fine actor, is too young to play Anne, Rupert Penry-Jones is not nearly rugged enough for Wentworth, Anthony Head not fey enough for Sir Walter, Mary Stockley was far too pretty for Mrs Clay (who is supposed to be ginger and freckled with prominent teeth and a dodgy wrist, none of which were in evidence) and as for Amanda Hale who played Mary...I couldn't begin to understand why she was making such odd facial expressions. Most of it I watched from behind a cushion! If you want the real deal, see the 1995 version. Amanda Root IS Anne Elliott, and Corin Redgrave was born to play Sir Walter. - Absolutely wonderful in the role!
on 14 January 2017
A really beautiful, vibrant, sexy adaptation of Austen's book. Her most troubled, mature and nuanced heroine is finally get the film adaptation she deserves!
on 7 July 2017
Well acted,but the story line is thin.