Format: DVD|Change

on 5 August 2010
From the first season Waking the Dead was gripping and reviting television it hasn't changed, if anything it's got more gripping. The 3 surviving characters from the 1 series are still as interesting and get more complex. But the series finally will have you thinking of another's shows ending words "What now?"; but I'm not going to spoil it for you. Watch this and you'll be an addict. Wanting to know what the next chapter can have in store for this brilliant team of cold case investigators!
on 10 July 2010
As usual the eighth series in this set is well worth viewing. I have watched set one through eight and have noticed that the show had three different names for Supt. Boyd's son. In one episode he was Matt in another his name was Joe and then finally Luke. A bit confusing. Boyd goes off on his usual tangents and Spence has his "one
look" (pensive) down pat. I notice, with the exception of Sue Johnston, the women have been killed off and new ones have come on. I guess Spence is untouchable since he has survived all the bloodlettings. Sue Johnston, is just great in this series and really holds the show together. If they have "knocked her off" with cancer (the latest episode) I will really be upset. She is the only reason Boyd is tolerable. Is there a series 9? or is series 8 the last group? I purchased a multi-region DVD player just so that I could watch the great British mysteries that take forever to be transfered to American DVD. New Tricks, Waking the Dead, Judge John Deed, Dalziel and Pascoe are among my favorites. I also enjoyed Wire in the Blood = which I guess, disappeared after "Prayer of the Bone." Of course, one of the very best in British Mysteries is "Midsomer Murders". Why are you not doing more of the above type of shows? You do these series so much better than we Americans and they seem to be very popular over here. You have to wait weeks to receive DVDs of "Midsomer Murders" at our local libraries and you are lucky if you get an undamaged copy of a particular show. Please MORE SHOWS LIKE THOSE LISTED ABOVE. I will purchase them and so will many other of my countrymen.
on 8 September 2010
Series 8 brings back a cold case from an earlier episode and it is one of the most intense groups of episodes ever in this long, dark series. Hugely suspenseful & riveting as ever, it almost had me in tears. Highly recommended.
on 22 August 2011
Wow - what a fantastic series Waking the Dead is, it just gets better and better. Every episode in Series 8 kept us on the edge of our seats.

In Magdalene 26 you see the darker side of the 1960s mixed in with an up to date mystery woman found running along a road naked, the way the story unfolds keeps you gripped to the very end.

In End of the Night the effects of serious crime on a victim are shown along with possible consequences for the perpetrators and ultimate revenge/justice for the original victim.

In Substitute you see a different side to Eve and although you want it to turn out well for her, you can't help but feel it's going to go pear-shaped and what an ending!

Endgame - fantastic episode with more than the usual amount of twists and turns and a good but shocking ending!

Brilliant set to own and watch again and again, I'm soooo glad I bought it!
on 24 May 2013
This is definitely one of WTD's strongest series, with some really gripping episodes. The quality of the show is still going really strong, this series touches a spot of darkness also. It brings up a convicted murderer from the past, who launches a vendetta against Boyd and his team.

Magdalene 26: This was quite a strong story. You were gripped right the way through, the twist was great. It got "Very Good."

End Of The Night: One of the most powerful stories in this set, thoroughly enjoyable and dark with a sense of realism. One of the best we've ever had - "Excellent!"

Substitute: A very clever episode with touches on a personal meaning for a team member. It is very well thought through and the plot is intriguing. "Very Good"

Endgame: This double-parter is the best episode in this set, being right at the top of "Excellent." The plot is superb, the delivery is phenomenal and everything is just right with this one. It brings up a murderer from the past, concentrates on the enthralling case and then moves onto the team and is personal to Boyd. What a climax too! The twists were amazing. This is absolutely fantastic, one of the best.

Series 8 is one of the best WTD series out there, every episode was top-notch...
on 8 August 2010
As a fan of Waking the Dead, I own all eight seasons on DVD. I highly recommend Season 8 as one of the most spellbinding sets in recent years. All four episodes are extremely well-written with edge-of-the-seat viewing. After a dismal Season 7, Waking the Dead is back at full-speed with an engaging new team member in Stacey Roca. I was also pleased to see more of Sue Johnston, who plays such an empathetic figure against Trevor Eve's harshness.
on 16 October 2010
Please be aware that this is a foreign copy of the BBC original.There are half the number of discs than the original and all the instructions and menus are in Dutch. My copy had one disc that would not play. It also changed all the settings on my Dvd Player. Supplier replaced the faulty copy with no problems at all. The service was excellent but unfortunately the product was not.
on 23 March 2013
Great TV series on DVD that nobody should miss. Great characters played by a great cast and far more believable and better written than the so called American equivalent. Buy a set now, you'll thoroughly enjoy it.
on 23 August 2014
Delivery was a disaster they had to try THREE times even though we were in!
Wasted a lot of time calling Amazon who contacted the courier three times.
Each time they and I requested a call to let me know they were nearby.
NOTHING happened. No calls...at last by luck, not judgement they managed to
Deliver using a different driver. I have to seriously wonder if I want to use
That service ever again.

They have let U and Amazon down big time......
on 6 February 2012
Trevor E's character is absolutely awful. it is like every trait in a human that is unpleasant is encapsulated in the one role. It left me quite moved his reactions to the wounding and subsequent death of a close colleague. Great stories, well acted and definitely NOT Midsomer!