Customer reviews

on 5 July 2016
THE ULTIMATE OTIS REDDING COLLECTION. OTIS WAS ONE OF THE GREATEST SOUL SINGERS OF OUR TIME,ALONG WITH RAY CHARLES,WILSON PICKETT,SAM COOKE AND ARETHA FRANKLIN,THEY CAME OUT WITH WONDERFUL ALBUMS DURING THE 60S AND 70S. THIS COLLECTION OF OTIS REDDINGS SONGS ARE A MUST FOR SOUL MUSIC FANS. RECORDED AT THE STAX STUDIOS IN MEMPHIS WITH STEVE CROPPER ON GUITAR,AL JACKSON THE GROOVIEST DRUMMER ON THE PLANET AND DONALD " DUCK " DUNN ON BASS AND THE MEMPHIS HORNS WHO AT THIS TIME WERE CALLED THE MARKEYS BACK UP OTIS ON THIS WONDERFUL COLLECTION OF SOUL HITS. THERE IS AN ARETHA FRANKLIN COLLECTION AS WELL IN THE SAME SERIES. BUY THEM BOTH FOR A TRIP TO MUSICAL HEAVEN.AND WHILE YOUR AT IT, BUY KING CURTIS ATCO COLLECTION AND IT WILL LIFT YOU UP TO THE STARS ,CAN I HAVE AN AMEN?
I wanted to expand my Otis collection, so I bought this, my jaw dropping at the price.

I have always thought 'Otis Blue' one of the greatest albums ever made by anyone. However the other albums I knew, mostly the first four, I felt were significantly less good, despite all having some standout tracks.

This came as a shock to me then, when especially on the last two discs of this collection there were at least thirty tracks I had never heard before of the very highest quality. I'm talking about 'Treat Her Right', 'Trick or Treat', 'Don't Mess with Cupid' and many more.

Furthermore, cross referencing with Allmusic, it seems that there are a lot more tracks from various posthumous albums not on this collection, so I have to disagree with Mr. Hopkinson's otherwise excellent review there.

Hey Stax, or whatever you're called now, put out a proper total collection.

In the meantime, not buying this should be an arrestable offence.
on 11 April 2012
This is great stuff. The bulk of Otis Redding's recorded legacy (the equivalent of about 8 original albums) for less than a takeaway lunch. If you have any interest in Redding, just buy it. The sound quality is good. The liner notes are non-existent, but you can go on the Web to learn more about the man...most of what you need to know is in the grooves.

You might think this is one of those shady reissues that falls through copyright cracks. How else to explain selling almost all of a major artist's recorded legacy for so little money? But this is legit. It's co-licensed through Rhino (Atlantic/Stax's reissue arm).

It truly boggle the mind and makes no financial sense.

Buy it now before they wake up.
on 17 February 2011
The thing that always bothered me about Otis Redding albums was his need to record cover versions when his own songs were so brilliant. Here you've got such a feast of music, that you can skip 'Day Tripper' and 'Satisfaction' without feeling you've been short-changed. I've neglected his stuff in recent years, so playing these CDs seemed like I was rediscovering soul music. But why did he feel he could funk up songs like 'Chain Gang'? I've never known anyone improve a Sam Cooke song, so why do so many people try?
Nevertheless out of a 100 tracks, there are at least 80 classics, so tremendous value for money.
on 6 June 2017
after purchasing the dock of the bay : the definitive collection i was looking for more from the great otis I found it & it's perfect a fantastic collection at a value for money price
on 9 October 2012
I had a otis redding greatest hits Lp when i was in my teens and i loved it, so when i saw this boxed set i thought i would treat myself,but i was a bit worried as to the quality due to the price, but no need to worry the sound quality is very good, all the ones off of my LP are there and loads more, very pleased that i bought it.
on 25 June 2011
I was a fan way back in the 60's but lost my collection. This one collection has replaced most of the tracks I had of this great artiste.
My first record i bought by Otis was This Heart of mine, and i just had to get more.
If you like 60's Soul then this collection is a must, 5 CD's packed with tracks from a much missed singer.
Don
on 28 March 2014
Got this very cheap and is a great collection of his music. If your new to Otis Redding or just a fan looking to bulk up their collection then I would recommend this as it has a good selection of his hits and lesser known songs.
on 18 June 2014
This is the must have album for any 60's Otis Reading fan, or a fan from any decade, excellent vocals with an honest original Motown sound. Well worth the purchase price to anyone.
on 30 December 2014
if your into soul music then this is must have
Otis Redding's cover of White Christmas is worth the cost of the album alone