on 12 January 2013
As an amateur musician I like to record some of my performances. Previously I'd used a variety of recorders starting with an open-reel Revox A-77, through a Sony DAT, Sony Minidisc, as well as using a digitla audio mixing desk and feeding this through a USB port to my computer. All worked well, but were somewhat bulky and inconvenient for one reason or another.

Then I spotted this little gem. It turned out to exactly what I was looking for. Using its internal microphones one can make excellent quality recording in a wide variety of formats and sampling rates. This is not the place to list its full specs, download a product sheet from Olymus. Suffice to say that all the normal formats are covered. There is also provision for an external microphone which can be a condensor or a dynamic, the polarisation voltage can be enabled or disabled, and for binaural recodings I have successfully used the Roland in-ear binaural earphon-microphone units. There is a line input socket, and with this I can make direct audio recodings from my keyboard line output. It also doubles as an audio player. One minor drawback is that normal WMA files with ID3 tags are not displayed correctly, but then this was never designed to double as a Wallkman or Ipod.

My only criticism is that the accompanying Olympus digital editor suite that is included with the product is minimal. There is an option to purchase the full editor but sadly when I tried I was informed by Olympus that "It was not available in my area."

Overall, an excellent product, which can produce superb audio quality recordings.
on 11 January 2014
Good sound quality and easy to use, quite intuitive for a non techie like myself.
Use this to record EFT sessions with my clients so that they can listen back to the session.
Really like this and for the price it does the job well from across a medium size room even if you are both
a different distance away.
Easy to upload onto a pc as an MP3 and can record in different file types and different envelopes
on 2 January 2013
An extremely well made, alluminium cased recorder that works flawlessly and is probably the best of the bunch sub £200.
Highly recommended.
on 25 November 2013
Discrete, easy to operate and sensitive, enabling very high quality recording. A must for recording conversations with official and commercial entities (especially insurance companies) and works well with the ReTell 145 Call recording adaptor.
on 16 January 2013
The LS-5 is a fantastic little recorder for the money. I am blown away by the quality of the built-in mics, especially on 96khz - 24bit. External mics are fed power via the mini jack port and I have tested this with a Sony ECM-CG50 and it is amazing! I do not regret buying this over similar products out there.
on 13 April 2014
Great sound and syncs nicely with my video camera, no longer need the wireless mics used previously. As it states not very practical for personal stereo player to listen to mp3s.
on 15 April 2014
YES I am well pleased with my little recorder
I found out Olympus had stopped making this model and I thought I wasn't going to get one.

Many thanks, Graham
on 19 April 2014
Simple to operate, this works very well. However, I find the Playback Volume very quiet and this is a real "Downer" as far as I am concerned.
on 19 January 2013
Liked it so much, have bought another for my father. Easy to operate and play back through the amplifier. Good product.
on 12 August 2015