Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 22 September 2011
The bottom line is - the diet works for as long as you stick to it. But of course this is true of any diet you care to mention. Sticking at diets is the hard bit. I personally find sticking to the Dukan unreasonably hard so it's not idea.

The good news is that you will lose weight (not the same as fat) very quickly in the attack phase. This is because you're doing Atkins without the fat! You're eating mostly protein which means you lose a lot of water and glycogen and so are guaranteed to lose several pounds of weight. How much fat you lose will depend on the calorie deficit created. It could be a couple of pounds or more I guess. Normally you'd put this right back on in the first few carby meals you eat, but Dukan has thought of this and so tapers up the re-carbing slowly. You will put some back on but then you're losing some fat in the next phase anyway so it's not totally demoralising. By the time you get to the maintenance phase you're eating a relatively sensible lower carb diet.

The bad news is that over a few months, you don't lose any more weight than any other diet. You can't of course beat the cals in vs cals out rule and this diet is no exception. I found the attack phase almost unbearable and my wife found me literally unbearable. I had no energy, looked awful, wasn't happy and so on. but at least I'd lost a few pounds of whatever it was I lost!

The science behind it is sketchy to be honest. He plays down the water loss. He claims you're eating "Pure protein" but when you calculate out the carbs you are allowed to eat (low fat yogurts, cottage cheese, oat bran etc) you can actually eat a lot more carbs than Atkins. Not that this really matters because as long as your cals are low, you lose weight. But it's not what he's telling you, I find this off putting.

Some of the suggested recipes in the book and on his site are AWFUL! God knows who made up that fish pie thing but even my dog wouldn't eat it. I was reduced to eating cooked meat and the odd omelette and stopped trying to make things that looked like normal food but tasted horrid!

Would I recommend it? I'm not sure. It makes little sense as a diet but one this he has right is that some people (like me) need a kick-start - they need strict diet for a short time to get the ball rolling and see results. So in that respect he is dead-on. The larger amounts of protein definitely reduce appetite and cravings in me.

Since giving up after a few weeks I'm doing my own lower-carb diet where I eat a lot of protein and hardly any bread or pasta because of this appetite effect and this is working just as well as Dukan. I'm dropping a pound a week on average, don't feel hungry, few cravings and don't feel ill like on Dukan.
11 comment| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2010
Ok, I'm 42 years old and have never really dieted before other than a week of Slimfast after Christmas/Easter/Birthday etc so maybe I'm not the best person to review a diet book but here goes. I decided that I needed to lose a stone and so should 'go on a diet'. I tried the Food Doctor as it's supposed to be a way of life rather than a diet but as I don't like most veg and avoid fruit like the plague I was cheating within a week. This book was serialised in the newspaper and seemed to be something I could stick with so I bought the book. The guy that wrote it is a French nutrtionist and there is a huge amount of guff about how he's tried this out on his patients over many years and that this is the fine tuned, tweaked to within an inch of its life, Rolls Royce of diets. It is also quite repetive (the book I mean not the diet - although that too is repetive) but who cates if it works? I found it very easy to stick to but I have to say that if I had a lot of weight to lose or huge changes to my diet to make I would probably have become bored and given up. You start off eating nothing but protein, then you alternate between days of protein and days of protein and veg. You aren't allowed starchy carbs, sugar or fat at all until you've hit your weight loss target. The idea of doing a consolidation phase after you've acheived your goal is excellent as I know from friends that have spent most of their lives dieting it is the 'eating normally' bit that trips them up after they've lost all their weight. If you want to lose weight and change your eating habits then this diet will work and it works quickly but as I said earlier it is boring and monotonous and I wouldn't want to stick to the weight loss part for any length of time (but then that is probably the case for any diet). I easily lost my stone and have nearly come to the end of the consolidation bit and have managed to stick to it with just the two slip ups (two friends with significant birthdays!) and I have virtually no will power and consider a day without chocolate to be a wasted day so I guess that means most people should gain (or should that be lose?) something from this book.
on 25 May 2010
The Dukan diet book is an easy read, well laid out, simple and clear. You don't need a background in physiology to understand it. The principle is sound and it works. Since beggining the regime 3 weeks ago, I have lost 11lbs, a minor miracle as I have been struggling to lose even a few pounds for some years. Highly recommended especially for post menopausal weight gain.
on 5 August 2010
Doing this review for all women in their 40's/50's who when following a diet the weight loss is that little you end up giving up. I am now 44 and have been on most diets known to man. I originally had great success with Atkins in my 30's but despite following it to the letter for several weeks the scales barely changed. This was despite going the gym 3 times a week.
The good news is that the Duken diet works. I have gone from 11stone 11lb to 11stone 2lb in three weeks. Can't tell you how great it is to see the scales move. He refers several times to how difficult it is for women in their 40's to lose weight and explains why that is, but says his diet will work.
Obviously the success will be keeping it off, but up to now I have every faith in his methods and am hoping by following his long term strategy will not only lose more weight but also keep it off.
WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND.
on 23 May 2010
I have had the best results from any diet I have ever undertaken. After 2 weeks I have already lost 9lbs, and I intend to follow the instructions 'till it's end. Normally diets leave you hungry and searching for food, this one allows you to eat as much protein, which fills the stomach, as you want.
I am thrilled that I am already fitting into a size lower (trousers)
on 13 October 2011
Normally I'm not one of those to write a reveiw on a product I've bought, but I felt like I really must comment on this.
Firstly, the basics, very fast delivery, cheaper than major retailers so can't complain there.

Now onto the diet itself, having seen my boyfriends Auntie start this diet (very petite uk size 8 and lost 10lbs so far-not aware of time frame) I thought to myself if she can lose that weight and she's barely got any body fat, then surely I must be able to (female/23 years)
I started the diet on October 5th 2011 and did the first phase (Attack) for 5 days (this varies depending on how much you wish to lose; I, having put on around 2 stone in the past 3 years felt that this was a substancial amount of days for me to achieve...not going to lie it was difficult-stupidly enough I started this on a Wednesday so had a weekend of torture eating protein and yoghurt (Total 0% and Onken are the best ones out there) and having to endure everyone around me eating carbs. Either way, I persisted through it all and then decided to check my weight on the weighing scales after 3 days; I had already lost 4lbs so that was definitely something to smile about. The hardest thing is starting as it is quite intense, however when you see the scales go down it's such a wonderful feeling and as I have been drinking between 1 1/2-2 litres of water a day my skin has become so clear (I also have cut out alcohol, although did have a few vodka and diet cokes last night) so it like a complete detox.
I am now on the Cruise Phase-where you incoporate vegetables to your diet, alternating days and in total in 8 days (although I haven't weighed myself this morning) I have lost a total of 9lbs, far better than a week at slimming world that I had ever achieved, don't get me wrong I am not classed as 'really big' I'm around a size 12 (fitted) so I was quite suprised/happy that I had lost that purely by sticking to this diet....shall be keeping a log to see how I do...
Now onto the book, the text is very simple and easy to understand, however it is very repetitive (I'm not sure if it's a case of 'drilling' the information into your head or the fact its been translated from French to English) that was one of my downsides. Another point was that it doesn't go into a lot of detail regarding specific foods/brands, I think that would have helped a lot...he states something in his book about 'fat free yoghurts' but then 'if they have fruit in they aren't allowed' then 'fruit yoghurts are allowed' something like that either way, I just found it quite confusing/misleading so have simply stayed clear of any fat free yoghurts with a fruit in i.e Onken Strawberry, but I eat the Vanilla.
Overall a really good diet, with amazing results, but this is rewarded by the effort you put in and you must follow everything he says. As people have stated there are plenty of forums out there to aid you on the way and I've found them really helpful. I also have the recipe book, this is good for ideas because there's only so many ways you can eat slices of ham...oh and before I go, this is an expensive diet as it contains a lot of meat-I've found Morrisons do an excellent range (virtally fat free cottage cheese/onken/Total 0%/Oat Bran/various meats and fish) I wasn't able to find the virtally fat free cottage cheese from Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda etc but Morrisons do sell this and remember to prepare your food; I work in an office which indulges in cakes/biscuits and chocolates and if you don't have any food with you, you may be tempted so get prepared.
on 24 May 2010
My partner and I started the diet a week ago. We spent all week on phase 1 (Attack Phase). He lost 10 pounds. I lost 4 (I have a thyroid problem so it was always going to be harder for me).

It does exactly what it says on the cover - the diet really works (so far). Didn't think we would be able to cope without vegetables and other carbohydrates but we have felt really full all the time and enjoying delicious meaty meals.

Vegetarians - don't even bother trying this one!!!
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2011
Over the years I have tried many diets. We all know that dieting is really willpower to leave alone the foods that make you put on weight. I wanted to lose about 8lbs as I don't really look over weight I just prefer to feel slimmer.I bought the book out of curiousity really as my sister lived in France and I don't remember seeing a slim woman in the area that she lived in!!! Anyway, I started the and diet once I got the gist of it as I decided that I could read the book as I went along. Seven days on the diet and I have lost six and a half pounds so I am thrilled!! I haven't found it hard to stick to at all and am rarely hungry. I had a bit of a blip one day as I didn't feel well at all. To cut a boring story short I visited the doc and explained everything and she said I could carry on with the diet but if I felt poorly again whilst on the diet to go back to see her. Low blood sugar might have been the problem that day (not confirmed) but I would say that Diabetics should be very careful and consult the doc first before starting this diet. Overall, this is a very informative book and it worked for me so it could work for you. Most diets tell you to change your eating habits and this is no exception but it has made me face up to the fact that I will have to be good and not eat too many sweet items (choc -oh no!) too often.REMMBER!! IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!!!!!

I am adding this p.s. about the oat bran. I disagree with the lady who said it was awful. One and a half tabespoons is 40 grams and it is better to weigh it as I wasn't having enough by spooning it. I simmer it ina pan with either milk or water for about five minutes on a low heat. I love it because it reminds me of my childhood. When I was little my mum used to make something called 'gruel' if I wasn't well and it reminds me of that.Very comforting!!

Two weeks on and I have lost NINE AND A HALF POUNDS!!!!! I am so pleased. I wasn't fat to start with but I feel so much better. I know the pounds have crept on slowly and were not that noticable but to me it is well worth the effort of addressing the problem. I have got into the habit of eating the way the book says and I no longer crave sweet things the same as I did. I still like them but only have a proper dessert on a Saturday. Duing the week I have had strawberries and blueberries with plain yoghurt. Very satisfying. I did make a mistake earlier in my review. The one and ahalf tablespoons of oat bran which I said was 40grams should have been approx.25 grams but is still plenty when combined with the water and simmered. Even so, I still lost the weight having 40 grams!!!!!
My blip with feeling unwell has never returned. I put this down to my body having a shock because of no sweet things being eaten!!! To sum up I would say give this diet a go!!!
on 22 May 2010
At last, a diet that works for me. I thought it would be harder, but I knew I had to give it a try. Quick results meant I am keeping going and have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks and feel much better for it. It's a sensible, steady loss and I find it easy to stick to the diet, with the odd blip - I have had to introduce prunes to my diet, though - be warned!
on 7 May 2010
This book is incredibly insightful and informative. Pierre is great at explaining in a simple manner the nature of our bodies, why we are prone to weight gain and how to be one step ahead of our bodies in combating excess fat. Also he explains how, after the diet, we can keep the weight off in very reasonable terms. I've found this book to be the most helpful yet! I've lost quite a lot of weight, my skin has also improved as well as my mood and cellulite... without ever feeling once hungry or depressed. It is absolutely fool proof, and an utter revelation.