on 2 May 2013
Having pulled the package from the envelope, I tore at the plastic wrapping unleashing the heady fumes of sealed plastic into the tight air of my living room. Perhaps, if I realised then what I know now, I might have stopped and put the accursed thing back in its envelope. But I was intoxicated with joy at the thought of the funny little seagull and how much it would look at home, hanging from my ceiling. And so, I inflated it...
Things went well for the first day or two. It dangled quite serenely from a corner of the ceiling; catching the occasional waft of fresh air from the open window.
I couldn't have been happier.
However, slowly but surely, over the next few days, something crept over me, like a frail shroud of fear.
It started innocuously enough - the glimpse of the seagull's plastic skin, turning slowly as I enter the room and flick on the light. A movement when there is no breeze to form it. Then, the eyes. Those once-so-welcoming orbs, which now seemed to stare at me, caught in the corner of my eye as I watch television. Never blinking. Only staring. Silent. Judging me.
It has been over a week now.
I want to take the seagull down. I need to. But something stops me.
Once, I was scared to enter the room. Now I am afraid to leave it.
What strange, mesmeric power does this thing hold over me?
Why does it stare so?
Why am I so powerless against it?
My body feels more drained with every passing moment.
I know it will come for me soon. Swoop down from that accursed corner of the ceiling which it inhabits. Feed on me as I sleep. Pluck out my eyeballs with two simple stabs of that orange beak. But I must rest soon.
I am tired. So tired. But I cannot close my eyes, nor turn my back for one second on this fiendish thing.....
1919 comments| 355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2011
This was impossible to inflate as the main seam leaked. As we needed it as decor for a party the same evening we tried to fix it with insulating tape, but no luck. The decorations ended up rather sinister, with what appeared to be a dead seagull hanging from a tree. We didn't return it as we had messed about with it so much trying to make it airtight, also it is very cheap and it didn't seem worth the aggro.
on 6 May 2013
When I bought this superb Seagull, I called it Leo and it hung proudly in my front window. My neighbour's inflatable eagle that he calls Glenn, immediately deflated and was never seen again. I can only conclude that Seagull Leo is far better quality than Eagle Glenn.
on 19 March 2015
Good value product for a lively indoor beach party, with just the right level of tackiness, and a handy loop to hang it up by. The real challenge is finding a way of keeping the gull inflated while putting the stopper in, since surprisingly the concept of a non-return valve hasn't yet reached China (at least not at this reasonable price). A self-taught technique that seemed to work was to put the stopper in for an hour or two, to get it bent into the right shape, then put the inflation valve and the stopper into your mouth, inflate the gull, then use your tongue to work the stopper in before taking out of your mouth and pushing it fully home. Good exercise for harmonica players. The product has a second use after the party as a gull-scarer. I live by the sea, and introduced Inflatable Gull to some of my feathery mates who had checked in for lunch. They haven't been seen since.
on 7 May 2013
I got the seagull home, blew it up and it suddenly started belting out:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall

For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

There was nothing in the description that it was going to do this.
Blew it up and hung it from a branch of an apple tree to deter too many other birds from my grass seed and fruit. No idea how effective is is but it's a good laugh watching it swooping around in the breeze on its piece of string! Mercifully it does not leak air very readily - it has stayed serviceable for a couple of months. I also mounted a plastic owl on a pole and am now wondering whether to open an inflatable zoo. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.
on 3 March 2014
I seriously cannot top one of the reviews on here.....never read anything like it. That's said, I went ahead and bought two, despite the warnings if the beady eyes. He was right......they do get you.....in the end.
on 11 June 2015
poor - now flat and was only inflated on friday ... lasted til sunday ... untouched and on sitting on the inflatable palm tree that is also self-deflating ... pretty poor quality all round for all the inflatables i bought for a birthday party. fun whilst the kept there air-in, but such a shame they carnt be deflated and re-used at a later date ... proves to be expensive as throw-away decorations.

so, in my experience - not good, but others have found them okay, so like me maybe you just need to take the plunge and try/buy yourself and see how long yours lasts.
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2015
This is a really cheap blow up seagull. Postage was quick and easy, and it came as promised. It is simple to blow up and crucially, it has a tab on the bird back to enable you to attach string/ wire etc, to hang it up to give the impression of it flying. It is at the end of the day very plasticy, but for this price is is what you would expect.

Recommended.
on 20 January 2014
When I bought the 'Lifelike Rubber Lobster Toy' for my partner to wear to 'The Surrealist Ball' I saw a postscript beneath 'Customers who bought this item also bought...' you guessed it 'New Inflatable Seagull 76cm' (I wonder what the old one looked like?) At £1.10 what's not to like? It doesn't inflate quite to the buoyancy indicated in the photo, but who's quibbling? I had many admiring glances at 'The Surrealist Ball' I crafted a head-dress from white tinsel covered wire, with an aerial like protrusion on which my seagull hung, like a Hitchcock extra, menacingly following me the whole evening. It was even light enough to dance with balancing from the head-dress should you be thinking of doing something similar.