Customer reviews

Catching A Tiger
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

VINE VOICEon 21 December 2010
What a great debut. There are obvious debts here to Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac and, on one track, Phil Spector. But none of that is a bad thing. This is a wonderful album; maybe my favourite of the year. Some of the songs sound like they've been around as staples of the American Singer/Songwriter catalogue for years;Surely I was listening to A Lot Of Loving 30 years ago! This is get in your head and stay for good music.
Fabulous.
on 6 April 2017
Great album
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2010
One of the albums of the year for me: Lissie's debut deserves to do well commercially and launch a hugely successful career. What a talent! Record Collector and When I'm Alone are pure genius but there's not a single poor track on the album. Superb.
on 11 June 2015
Lissie is a great singer and sings and performs amazing live
on 28 July 2017
Brilliant album
on 22 October 2017
Great item good delivery speed. V happy, thanks
on 12 September 2013
This is the best album I have heard for a long time. I just wish I had taken notice of Lissie sooner!
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2010
Jeez! I'm flabbergasted at the sheer brilliance of Lissie. I've just seen her live at the Glee Club in Birmingham and she and her band astounded and spellbinded and just dragged bluesy-folky-alterno-rocky-souly music slap, bang into the present. She's completely her own person. Her own, humble, almost diffident self. Refreshingly un-diva-like. A regular kinda gal with Mississippi mud permanently wedged deep in her fingernails and soul... Her songwriting is wonderfully free of cliche and cod-portentousness like so many of her over-hyped and under-talented contemporaries. Many of whom have ridiculous levels of critical and public adulation. Lissie, on the other hand, wipes the floor with all of them! She's nothing less than the voice of a generation and of a particular geography. She's as essential and important an artist as Regina Spektor. They both share a fierce intelligence and great songcraft. Regina is, obviously, madder. And her stunning, baffling compositions reflect this greater madness. Lissie is, arguably, more sincere. She's certainly less self-consciously quirky. But her simpler songs have an elemental power that is all her own. I love all the songs on this genre-defying album in their own way. But I'm sent into spirals of quasi-religious ecstasy by the "won't you fill me up with it..." mini-mantra in the middle of Record Collector that reminds me of the similar ecstasy that the goddess chant in Inkubus Sukkubus's Wytches sends me into.
Nevermind the religious epiphanies... just check out her versions of (improvements on) Metallica's Nothing Else Matters and Lady GaGa's Bad Romance on youtube. Sadly omitted from this album, they prove just how unbelievably versatile Lissie really is - best album of 2010. (Possibly first equal with Dommin... I'm not sure yet...)
on 5 May 2010
After hearing the mesmerising 'Everwhere I Go' on we7.com I checked out Lissie's other songs. I also saw her live in a tiny venue in London in February 2010. Quite simply, she's an amazing talent. Her voice, with a huge likeness to Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac, is so powerful and bluesey, and her sheer energy on stage has me hooked. 'In Sleep' reveals some decent guitar skills and 'Record Collector' steadily builds to a fantastic ending... I love this album, and urge you to check it out, and check Lissie out live, her band are equally as talented and can really rock... A real talent, and one to watch in 2010 and onwards. Buy this album!!
44 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2010
Heard Lissie on BBC Radio 2, doing a live version of her single Cuckoo, followed by what can only be described as an unbelievable version of Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven'. (If her management don't release this as a single they are missing a trick).
Not normally one to be impulsive, on the strength of the two live performances, I bought tickets to see Lissie at the Manchester Academy and purchased the album, Catching a Tiger.

Not a bad track on it - Every track a potential single. This girl sings with feeling and has a style all of her own. Brilliant phrasing, unique voice, superb tempo changes -this album has very quickly become a firm favourite.

If you've not heard Lissie, you are missing a treat.