VINE VOICEon 21 December 2010
What a great debut. There are obvious debts here to Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac and, on one track, Phil Spector. But none of that is a bad thing. This is a wonderful album; maybe my favourite of the year. Some of the songs sound like they've been around as staples of the American Singer/Songwriter catalogue for years;Surely I was listening to A Lot Of Loving 30 years ago! This is get in your head and stay for good music.
Fabulous.
on 6 April 2017
Great album
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2010
One of the albums of the year for me: Lissie's debut deserves to do well commercially and launch a hugely successful career. What a talent! Record Collector and When I'm Alone are pure genius but there's not a single poor track on the album. Superb.
on 11 June 2015
Lissie is a great singer and sings and performs amazing live
on 12 September 2013
This is the best album I have heard for a long time. I just wish I had taken notice of Lissie sooner!
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2010
Jeez! I'm flabbergasted at the sheer brilliance of Lissie. I've just seen her live at the Glee Club in Birmingham and she and her band astounded and spellbinded and just dragged bluesy-folky-alterno-rocky-souly music slap, bang into the present. She's completely her own person. Her own, humble, almost diffident self. Refreshingly un-diva-like. A regular kinda gal with Mississippi mud permanently wedged deep in her fingernails and soul... Her songwriting is wonderfully free of cliche and cod-portentousness like so many of her over-hyped and under-talented contemporaries. Many of whom have ridiculous levels of critical and public adulation. Lissie, on the other hand, wipes the floor with all of them! She's nothing less than the voice of a generation and of a particular geography. She's as essential and important an artist as Regina Spektor. They both share a fierce intelligence and great songcraft. Regina is, obviously, madder. And her stunning, baffling compositions reflect this greater madness. Lissie is, arguably, more sincere. She's certainly less self-consciously quirky. But her simpler songs have an elemental power that is all her own. I love all the songs on this genre-defying album in their own way. But I'm sent into spirals of quasi-religious ecstasy by the "won't you fill me up with it..." mini-mantra in the middle of Record Collector that reminds me of the similar ecstasy that the goddess chant in Inkubus Sukkubus's Wytches sends me into.
Nevermind the religious epiphanies... just check out her versions of (improvements on) Metallica's Nothing Else Matters and Lady GaGa's Bad Romance on youtube. Sadly omitted from this album, they prove just how unbelievably versatile Lissie really is - best album of 2010. (Possibly first equal with Dommin... I'm not sure yet...)
on 5 May 2010
After hearing the mesmerising 'Everwhere I Go' on we7.com I checked out Lissie's other songs. I also saw her live in a tiny venue in London in February 2010. Quite simply, she's an amazing talent. Her voice, with a huge likeness to Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac, is so powerful and bluesey, and her sheer energy on stage has me hooked. 'In Sleep' reveals some decent guitar skills and 'Record Collector' steadily builds to a fantastic ending... I love this album, and urge you to check it out, and check Lissie out live, her band are equally as talented and can really rock... A real talent, and one to watch in 2010 and onwards. Buy this album!!
44 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2010
Heard Lissie on BBC Radio 2, doing a live version of her single Cuckoo, followed by what can only be described as an unbelievable version of Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven'. (If her management don't release this as a single they are missing a trick).
Not normally one to be impulsive, on the strength of the two live performances, I bought tickets to see Lissie at the Manchester Academy and purchased the album, Catching a Tiger.

Not a bad track on it - Every track a potential single. This girl sings with feeling and has a style all of her own. Brilliant phrasing, unique voice, superb tempo changes -this album has very quickly become a firm favourite.

If you've not heard Lissie, you are missing a treat.
on 25 June 2010
I kept hearing the song 'when I'm alone' on Radio 2, but Steve Wright didn't say who it was until yesterday!
I downloaded the album from Amazon that same day without hearing anything else, which is something I very rearly do as I am very fussy where music is concerned. I'm pleased to say I'm glad I took the risk! This is a great album, it's so refreshing to here someone like this, with a great voice and song writing skill who is not following the same template as most artists these days.

There's a mix of styles here, Folk, Rock, Blues and Pop, and it's all good! I'm only on my second listen and I love it already, which is another rare thing for me, as it usually takes a while for something to catch.

If you are a fan of Female vocalists but fed up with Gaga, Rhianna, etc, etc.. This could be for you.
on 17 July 2010
I very rarely feel the need to write reviews of music I buy, but this girl is just so amazingly talented that I felt the need! I first heard Lissie's song "In Sleep" some months back now, and was totally hooked by her voice and lyrics. I looked her up on youtube, and came across her version of "Bad Romance" (I can't stand Lady Gaga) which is possibly one of the best performances you are ever likely to see, and from that moment on I have become increasingly spell bound by this beautifully raw amazingly talented girl. Songs like "Here Before" and the haunting "Everywhere I go" show she has been through some tough stuff, but she is just so still totally her own woman, and you feel like you know her after listening to her music as it's just so honest and you just know she puts every inch of her soul into the songs. I honestly cannot rate this girl high enough, she fully deserves all her success, but I just hope it doesn't change her or her music, because at present they are both simply hauntingly perfect.

My only slight gripe is that the recordings of some of the songs on the album are slightly inferior to the live versions on YT (if you haven't yet watched any then you simply must).