on 31 March 2011
I first ordered a more expensive replacement £30 'alternative brand' battery (different brand, different supplier) and it would not even work with the Canon charger so I had to send it back. Because of that I did not have high expectations of this one, the Powerplanet brand, as it was even more moderately priced at under £20.
Well, I was mistaken (happily) - the Powerplanet seems a really good battery.

I have only been running it about a week but it has had heavy daily use and is holding up well so far. It seems to take a couple of recharges/use in the camera to settle down for an accurate 'percentage left' reading but I also found the same with Canons own brand battery that came with the camera.

This battery works fine with Canons own charger and acts in my 7D camera just like the original battery. It registers normally with the camera and the 'remaining percentage charge' display in camera is fully operational.

I use my camera a great deal so I have now ordered a 2nd of these batteries as this first one has been a real success so far. They last a long time on a charge so it will mean I don't have to take the charger etc. with me when I go away for long weekends etc.

Edit 1 - additional info:

Some weeks later and I have been using these batteries heavily and they are excellent, so far I have gone up to 600 photos one one day just using one battery and it still had more than 40% charge left in it. In the orig review I forgot to say they each came with a handy clip on cover to protect them when not in camera/charger.

Edit 2 - additional info:

I have ordered in the last 18 months several PowerPlanet brand batteries for both my Canon 5d and 7d.
This model battery is the one that fits the 7d.

I have found them all to be reliable, long lasting in use and to hold up just as well if not better than the manufactures own. I have ordered some more today as I am doing all day shoots and wish to have a large supply of spares, to cover several days without recharging. The first sets I bought (mentioned earlier in this review) are still acting as if they are brand new and have proved to be very reliable long term.

Very happy with this brand.

Found my review of these batteries while ordering a different sort for my other camera and see a lot of people have found it a helpful review so I thought I would add some more follow up. I am still using all the 7d batteries I ordered from PowerPlanet and still have not had a problem with any of them. They are still outlasting the Canon one that came with the camera and my cameras get very heavy use, its unusual for both cameras not to be used most days. I will be ordering some additional batteries for my 5d shortly, to replace the ones it came with originally and I intend to stick with this brand for those as well. Hope this additional update is helpful.
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2010
Bought this from the seller, ordered it on Wednesday and arrived Saturday morning, very happy with the delivery times, added bonus it was free postage even to N Ireland.

As for the battery its works perfectly, I charged it and shot with it this afternoon in the studio to try it out, it charges in the Canon Charger and displays info on the camera, it even counts the shutter releases and displays the battery information, I checked and it had shot 800 images and was displaying that it had 63% left, this was on the 1st charge and its about the same as Canons own battery, I am very happy, as its approx 1/3 of the price of Canons.
I shall give an update if it goes pear shape, but as it stands, its works perfectly unlike the Ex-Pro battery that was more expensive and didn't work, had to return.

Highly recommended.

I decided to run the battery until it had 2% power left and checked the shutter count, the Battery had delivered 2387 shots in studio conditions, lens used for the test were Canon 50mm f1.4 and Canon 85mm F1.8, flash heads/strobes were triggered via Elinchrom Skyport trigger system, Raw and Jpeg small were captured and processed to sandisk cards, I am very impressed as the back LCD is switch on and I also spent time showing clients sample images from the shoots,

So still very highly remommended. :)
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2013
Having found that the Wi-Fi and GPS functions drain the battery relatively quickly on my new Canon EOS 6D, I thought it would be advisable to get a spare battery and ordered this PowerPlanet LP-E6. Unfortunately the first battery I received from PowerPlanet brought up the message "Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?" It was possible to select 'OK' and use the camera, but the battery indicator bar showed empty and the menu option to show battery information was disabled. A search of the internet revealed a lot of compatibility issues with the EOS 6D and third party batteries, and it appeared that the PowerPlanet LP-E6 was not immune from this. I therefore initially gave the product a two star review.

Following the appearance of my review, I was contacted by PowerPlanet's customer service department and offered a new LP-E6. I'm pleased to report there are no issues with the replacement battery. It appears that PowerPlanet have dealt with the previous compatibility issue. Not only does the battery's power level show on the camera's main display, its serial number and remaining capacity can be accessed via the camera's menu system alongside those of the original Canon battery.

As the PowerPlanet LP-E6 has a capacity of 1600 mAh compared with 1800 maH for the Canon original, battery life is inevitably slightly shorter. Given the level of customer service shown by PowerPlanet, however, and the fact that their battery is less than a quarter of the price of Canon's, it seems only fair to give this product five stars.
on 15 October 2010
After seeing many products which claimed to be compatible with the Canon charger and display battery charge information on the camera but had reviews against this claim I settled on this battery pack and decided to give it a go. I'm using a 7D and it does indeed charge using the Canon supplied charger and display battery charge information on the camera. I haven't had chance to see how many shots I get out of it but don't foresee any problem given that it is the same capacity pack as the genuine Canon battery. To summarise, if you're looking for a compatible battery pack and aren't willing to pay the steep price for a genuine Canon one this appears to be a viable alternative.
on 27 June 2011
Quite simply these are copies of the Canon 7D's battery. I bought 2 as back ups for my canon battery and one a recent wedding photography job I used the Canon for the first 2/3 of the job and the PowerPlant battery for the final 3rd. The Canon battery last a lot longer, probably about a third or half again as long as the PowerPlant batteries BUT the powerplant batteries are cheap, work just fine, let you see the battery charge levels and aren't bad at all. They last long enough but I just remember to be slightly more vigilant in checking my battery levels between photos.

Definitely worth the outlay and for the cost you can have several of these for the cost of a genuine Canon battery, like I said, I own two and they haven't let me down yet.
on 25 July 2012
Charge quickly and work as good as the canon original for a fraction of the price. Used in a 5D3 + grip. Cannot fault them, why pay more?.
on 24 December 2010
Item delivery time was good.

Battery has been charged on my Canon charger with no problems.

Battery indicator on camera recognizes battery functions the same as the Canon battery.

Battery was a fraction of the price of the original Canon battery.

Very pleased with my purchase would definitely buy another one.
on 21 September 2012
I have used these batteries non stop since receiving them, they both register in the camera's menu when used in the Canon battery grip, they charge and run just aswell as the original Canon batteries, what more can I say other than get some in and save a wad of cash.Delivery and packaging were all okay.
on 22 March 2014
In September 2012 I bought one of these Dot.Foto batteries for my Canon 5DII, bought the same month. It worked fine for about two cycles but lost its charge *much* more quickly than the Canon kit's original LP-E6 battery did - and still does. That Canon battery still works perfectly, whereas this Dot.Foto one soon stopped working all together. I have since bought a second Canon LP-E6 battery and, on the basis of my experience anyway, I advise against buying this Dot.Foto battery - a false economy for me.
The first one I received didn't work - it wouldn't charge (I tried three chargers) and it wouldn't be recognized in any camera. They quickly sent a replacement which works well. Charges normally, is recognized in my 70D and even registers a serial number with the camera. So far, so good. I will check out it performance over the next few weeks and report back....

December 2014 update - one year later, still going strong - no complaints