Format: DVD|Change

on 12 September 2011
I hesitated before buying this DVD set after reading the reviews questioning the picture quality. I find the quality very good and I am glad I decided to buy it despite the reviews. I can only think that the playback equipment used by the reviewers was not up to scratch.
on 24 December 2010
I have always wanted this collection, and have seen it advertised on this website before for an astronomical price of £300! so it was out of my price range, so I was delighted to see it re-packaged at a more reasonable price, The picture and sound quality is excellent. There are bonus material including interviews with Bob Larbey one of the writers and Richard Briers the star, all the episodes are here including the Royal Command Episode which was recorded in front of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, we see behind the scenes of that episode, with the Queen arriving at the studio's meeting and greeting before and after the show is recorded. Well worth the money!
33 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2006
If you have ever wanted to shout "stop the world I want to get off", this is what this sit-com is about. Charming in it's wit and humor, it gently pokes fun at the classism and snobbery of british life. It contrasts the social climbing of Margo next door and toadying that "Jerry" her husband must do to keep in with his boss, with Tom & Barbara's poverty, freedom and self-sufficiency. It is as relevant today as then (mid 1970s). It's style of humour is perhaps "quaint" much in the same vein as Wallace and Grommit, or the Ealing comedies, and the humour of the characters are that they are all essentially likable - despite obvious warts and all.
Tom( Richard Briars) and Barbara (Felicity Kendall) have excellent "chemistry" together. All the characters are well acted. Because of this, each episode is guaranteed to leave you with a strong feel-good factor.
77 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2011
The Good life is as funny now as ever it was when on television. Does not seem to date as other sit com's do. The actors are perfect for the charecters they play. The danger when buying this box set is not being able to stop watching it untill the end.
on 20 May 2011
This series is as fantastic now as when it was first produced! Great entertainment, laugh out loud for all the family! Enjoy!
on 5 November 2011
Old but Gold - this series still reflects a lot between different layers of society & visions, is extremely funny but so true. G R E A T Entertainment value & good for many hours of laughs too.
on 27 January 2013
I am old enough to have fond memories of the series when it was broadcast originally (in the mid-1970s on) and so I recently purchased the complete set at a time when I wanted the relaxation of simply watching something on the TV, but not from the mainstream TV channels. This is all about the trials and tribulations of a suburban London couple, Tom and Barbara, who go "sustainable" ... and their relationship with the very conventional couple next door, Margot and Jerry. My main reaction to it was that I felt that the humour developed as the series progressed, i.e., the first episode or two were not as funny as I had hoped or remembered. Maybe one needed to get used to the gentler humour (of yesteryear) that is contained within this series. However, as I continued to watch the episodes (and they are all conveniently just half an hour long) I found myself laughing more and more. The jewel in the crown of the series is the character, Margot, who is consummately conservative with both a little "c" and a big "C" - she values superficiality (for example, she makes derogatory comments on her sustainable neighbours' awful clothes), detests socialists, keeps in with the local Conservatives (several with wonderful names, like "Mountshaft") and abhors anything other than suburban convention. But fundamentally, she is friendly and the sort of person you could rely on in an emergency, and she has her little vulnerabilities. Jerry, her somewhat dominated husband, is also a great character in the series, tempering Margot's excesses with common sense and humour. While any review is highly personal, I found this series funny enough to want to re-watch it and would recommended it to anyone in the political middle ground, having a sense of humour and finding themselves in the autumn of their life.
on 27 May 2011
It's just right. Lots of my favourite programmes and some I'd never seen before.
This is my favourite series of all time. I love all the actors and the show itself is
interesting and very funny. Fantastic.
on 1 November 2010
As the owner of a vast archive TV DVD collection and a fusspot when it comes to the quality of my AV equipment, I can honestly say that in terms of picture quality, this set is one of the worst I have ever seen - it's absolutely diabolical in comparison to just about any other. It's so bad, that right from the off, any discerning viewer will be so distracted by the blur (particularly motion) lack of contrast/colour depth, and the fact that it's like watching TV through a mosquito net, that you won't be able to watch it. It's nothing to do with the age of the material - I had a better picture watching this series on VHS ten years back (in fact I checked it out to make sure I wasn't mistaken, and actually found myself more drawn-in to watching The Good Life on VHS than DVD - that's how bad it is. I find this unbelievable and totally unacceptable. What on earth is wrong with the BBC when it comes to decent releases of their archive material? Lame art work, and big doorstop cardboard box sets still, when other manufacturers have moved on to slimmer multi-way cases. If only they would give their archive the same treatment as companies such as Network have given to the ITV archive - miles ahead.
1616 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 November 2010
I love The Good Life

It was, is and I am sure will continue to be one of my favourite TC series of all times.

I have been waiting for the full series to be available as a boxed set, and with glee ordered this set, which as always was delivered with Amazons efficiency.

All the episodes are here, including the Royal Variety Performance.

This set would have got 5 stars for this and the price if only the picture quality was better.

I agree with other reviewers, the picture quality is rather poor, is this I wonder so a remastered boxed set can be sold in the future?

However, after careful consideration, this gets 3 stars because of the magic that is The Good Life, but looses 2 stars due to the poor picture quality.