on 11 September 2011
UPDATE 13 FEB 2013 - WARNING...

I wrote the following 5 star review six months after I bought the two frypans it refers to. I've now had them nearly two years and they haven't aged at all in that time. But, last night when cooking pancakes in this 24cm one, paint came off and stuck firmly to my ceramic hob - see the photos I've uploaded. After ages rubbing with hob cleaner I was able to remove most of the paint but the glass surface seems to be permanently damaged.

Why it has taken this long to happen compared to the frypans of other reviewers experiencing this I can only guess. It was the first time that I had cooked pancakes in it and with them being so thin maybe the pan became too hot as there was little food to transfer the heat to. I used a medium heat setting, viz 3, with the occasional tweak up to 4, where 6 is the maximum.

I have downgraded it to 3 stars (rather than 1 or 2) because it is still perfectly non-stick and I have had it a long time but I'm reluctant to use it again. I can confirm that the 20cm one is still intact though I haven't cooked any such thin food in it - yet!

ORIGINAL REVIEW...

***** Not just a pretty bottom!

I bought this 24cm (9.5 inch) frypan and the Kitchen Craft Non-Stick Ecolution Frypan, 20cm (8 inch) one. I've had them six months now and they look as good as new. I must admit their lovely green bottoms were the initial attraction but I was, of course, impressed by their 'safer than others' non-stick material.

I have not had the problem other reviewers mention of paint coming off - maybe there was a faulty batch produced at some stage. I don't know if different hobs factor in this - mine is ceramic. I have found that by following the usual instructions - wash and dry them prior to first use, work in a little oil before cooking ('conditioning'), pre-heat them, wait for them to cool after use before washing them - they have been fine.

They take a while longer to heat up compared to my Tefal one but they seem to hold the heat better and I find I can use a lower temperature than the Tefal. A real irritation with my Tefal (and all previous Tefals come to that) is that - although it seems flat - oil, sausages and similar 'mobile' foods roll to the edges. The food stays put in these Kitchen Craft ones. Speaking of staying put, they also balance well on the hob - no tipping up so far. Plus the handle is indeed comfortable and has a nice feel to it.

I haven't used it in the oven but the instructions say they are oven safe up to 180 degrees Centigrade. They are also dishwasher safe - I don't have one but they are really easy to clean by hand anyway.
review image review image review image review image
on 30 October 2014
very misleading product description
the pan I actually received is this cheap $4.49 ikea kavalkad with flat edges and no green bottom
someone just put another sticker on top of the ikea sticker and resold it for a higher price...
would never buy again
not even worth the trouble to return it

I was expecting more from amazon products....
on 29 September 2015
Had this item for a few weeks now, and have to say I am very impressed with it. The non stick is great and will be buying the bigger size soon. Wanted something that was healthy to cook with for my family, and this is perfect. The only thing is that on the description it claims it is black when it is actually apple green- doesn't bother me but may do some people. Highly recommended.
on 23 May 2011
As the previous reviewer says, the pan leaves spots of paint on the hob. Fortunately, I cleaned them up easily. However, after using the pan more than twice, the problem seems to be eliminated.
Now, the pan is quit handy to use, feels heavy on my hand and cooks up to three eggs simultaneously. I am also using it to make crepes with success. Cooks really quick and after use, it washes even more quick, leaving no oil behind and its surface remains as new.
Overall, a nice product if you cannot afford buying something more expensive.
on 12 October 2015
Very good Eco Frying Pan, I've used it intensively for 2 years now, The food does not stick to the pan, I use little oil, it heats fast. It is the best alternative I've found to a teflon pan, much better than a ceramic frying pan.
on 9 April 2013
Replacement for a more expensive frypan that had given up the ghost...lovely little pan and great value for money, very pleased with it. Arrived quickly as well.
on 22 December 2010
This Ecolution frypan is a great buy, solid, strong and with an easy-grip handle. It's special non-stick coating is safe to use, which was the main reason I bought it, having heard of the dangers of toxicity of other coatings. It's base is a bright green colour, which matches it's green (eco) statement, and I love it.
on 23 February 2011
This pan has a green coating on the outside, including the base. Looks very smart and I may have been unlucky and just got a 'bad' one, but I used it twice and both times, I was left with flakes of green paint on my hob. Some were loose but others needed scraping off so I have returned the pan.
on 5 January 2015
Great little flying pan which does exactly what you would expect! IT is of high quality and after using for a few months it has still kept its non stick surface well. Overall a great product!
on 6 March 2012
Looks good when new but bottom already discoloured after a few times of use. Bottom does not remain flat when heated on the hob. None-stick works ok.