Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Draper Expert 21301 Long-Handled Solid-Forged Fencing Spade

on 14 August 2013
I've recently had to dig approximately 40 holes to install a pergola and the decking area around it. Most of the holes have thankfully only been about two feet deep, but the six for the pergola posts were well over three feet each (six of them).

This spade has been an absolute godsend for getting right down into the bottom of the holes whilst keeping the diameter reasonably close to the size of the posts (obviously the holes need to be a bit wider so that you can back-fill and concrete around the posts). It's a very well made tool which is still looking good even after the amount of work it's been put too. I'd say that the dimensions were very good too. The blade is long enough and slim enough and with just the right amount of rake/pitch on it. Any less you wouldn't be able to get any leverage on it, any more and you'd struggle to get it down the hole! I also like the fact that it's quite long. This means that even towards the bottom of the hole you've enough handle to be able to easily use it without too much back bending. I found it quite light to use, which had both pluses and minuses. The lightness meant that I could use it for long periods without too much fatigue. The minus side of this is that it's not too much use for breaking through anything too tough (see below).

I used the spade in conjunction with a Roughneck 68250 Post Hole digger and a Faithful Digbar60 Digging Bar, both also purchased from Amazon.co.uk. The digging bar was an indispensable tool, allowing me to break through the odd brick and lump of concrete without the need for jack-hammer. I'd have been completely stuck without it. The Roughneck digger is a scissor-like tool which is used for getting the loosened soil out of the hole. Having never done this sort of work before I was wondering whether I'd gone over the top with the tools, but using all three together made (reasonably) easy work of the job. OK, it was an investment of about £100 for all three, but I probably saved myself about £300 in labour, and I still have the tools (and a bit more muscle).

A quick tip if you're putting up pergola or fence posts, get yourself a post level. This guide has spirit levels on two sides enabling you to get a post perfectly vertical whilst using both hands, as opposed to struggling with a spirit level in one hand, juggling it from one side of the post to the other. Another £7 well spent!
on 4 September 2017
Hubby very happy with this, helped him with the fence post holes a treat
on 26 March 2017
great spade makes digging post holes a lot easier.
on 11 October 2017
Well worth buying
on 29 August 2017
Awesome tool and not just for fence posts. I used mine to dig holes to plant trees
on 13 September 2017
Used this to dig 35 posts in my field. Did the job perfectly well.
on 3 August 2017
Robust, good quality, good value.
on 10 September 2012
Over the last 15 years we have erected quite a lot of fencing. How I wish we had found this tool sooner.
It would have saved so much hard work and aching back not to mention using less Postmix. The delivery from Amazon
was sooner than expected which meant getting on with the job. This is the ideal tool for digging those holes
for the fencing posts. Neater, less mess and will last for ever. Trouble is I have no more fencing to do but it will always be handy
for family and neighbours! One still has to be youngish and strong to use it. I am not but have a son who is.
on 25 July 2013
Having broken my trust "old faithful" spade, one which was almost bullet proof and built when things were built to last, I was sceptical that at £26 this one would be study and robust. I was greatly surprised when it a) arrived so fast and b) did look robust.
On closer inspection and after having dug a few fence post holes, dug up a few small shrubs and trees (I know it is not designed for this but it is excellent for doing this work as long You are careful not put too much strain on the shaft) I can confirm the build quality and weight address as excellent as my "old faithful" and should, hopefully, last as long. Excellent product.
on 19 April 2015
This is a heavy duty peice of hand machinery, you can thump roots and get through ground very easily, use it as a lever to get big roots out and great for pulling out consolidated bits of earth. A great tool to have in the shed.

See one answered question