on 22 August 2010
I watched this documentary yesterday, loved it and will certainly go back to it. Some of the older stuff I had seen before, but there is a lot new to explore. Some of the clips from earlier performances are not of the best quality, but this is all about the people and circumstances which influenced the thoughts and work of Leonard Cohen, and this was done very well. Spanish poet Federico Lorca, Canadian Irving Layton, the beat writers as well as country singer Hank Williams, Ray Charles and the timely meeting with Judy Collins, together with his superior intellect and his Jewish background in French speaking Montreal, all helped putting Leonard Cohen on his path to the great artist he has become. There is also the very strong influence of Zen Buddhism in his life and work. The input by his biographer Ira Nadel, Collins and others really are informative and heart-warming.

Those who love this man for the extraordinary and unique artist that he is, go and buy this dvd. You won't be disappointed and you'll get a much better understanding of his work and the man himself.
on 19 September 2010
I thoroughly agree with the other reviews of this DVD. It was well put-together and very informative. There was a lot I already knew, as a long-standing LC fan, but, crucially, there was lots I didn't, both about the man himself and the 'lonesome heroes' themselves. There was some great footage and the contributors gave some fascinating insights and interpretations.

As mentioned, any fan of this needs to buy it (especially if, like me, you want the full collection of LC "stuff") - it's also a perfect companion to the Leonard Cohen's Jukebox CD, which follows a similar theme in putting together tracks from those artists who have influenced him musically.
on 11 October 2011
worth buying. Not the usual stuff I buy, as I don't usually care about an artist's background, I just want to buy the music. But Cohen is not just another musician, and I love to learn more about him. I thought I would plod through this but it was enjoyable and interesting.
on 3 June 2011
As I am a major Cohen fan, I purchased this dvd a few weeks ago expecting some new insights on the poets vast curriculum. I was a bit disapointed when I noticed that the quality of the image and sound is low. Just VHS burned on a dvd without a remastering or any other extra's. That's ok, it's an old documentary. But what I didn't like is the fact that Leonard himself is nowhere to be seen! He is not interviewed. Only some "connaiseurs" and all kinds of people with an opinion. This doesn't mean that the whole was not interesting. It gives us thourough insights on the context and historical aspects of the master's work. But still, I missed him!
on 20 August 2010
OK, I am somewhat partisan (to borrow one of LC's titles)but I thought that this DVD did shed a few more chinks of light onto a very complex and interesting character. Good companion to all the albums.
on 2 July 2015
great as expected
on 1 December 2016
Great item.
on 11 January 2013
I am biased but very good. I could watch anything about this man as he is a complete one-off. He just gets better
and better.
on 25 May 2011
If you're a dedicated LC fan, anything about the man will please you. This DVD is interesting from a different perspective in that there are a number of viewpoints from others, which in itself puts anew light on the great man. Still a very enjoyable hour of music and information.