on 13 August 2014
Arrived promptly. I was a bit surprised when the jack did not seem to be gripped properly by the earphone socket on my laptop, as if it had not been pushed in far enough: it pulled out too easily. I then found a bit of plastic jutting out over the metal and realised that it could prevent full insertion. I cut the excess plastic off and then the plug went in fully. So quality control in the manufacturing process needs to be improved. However, there was no problem with the socket end, and the cable worked well after that. I have the impression that material is not of the highest quality, which may affect its expected life. But that's compatible with the very low price for this product. Still good value for money.

Several feedback reports mention the discrepancy between the quoted uncoiled length of the cable (4m) and the usable length due to coiling, so I tried pulling it as far as I could without pulling the laptop off its support. It stretched to about 1.8m with fairly high tension, and a considerable amount of coiling left, which is reasonable for a coiled cable. By applying considerably more force I was able to stretch it to about 2.8m, though I would not normally wish to use it with that much tension. I think the product description should state: "Length prior to coling 4m, usable length after coiling 1.8m to 2.8m. The shorter length is enough for my purpose, and the fact that it is coiled simplifies storage without tangling, etc.

I was a little surprised at the weight of the cable. This is because it is significantly thicker than most headphone cables. The thickness is presumably required to enable the cable to maintain its coiled state, as in the picture.

Summary: works fine with headphones. Used stretched to more than about 1.8m requires considerable tension, possibly unsafe for lightweight laptop resting on a table.
11 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2017
as so many others have said - you get what you pay for.
bought this on strength of other positive reviews but l must have drawn the short straw on this one.
firstly, as soon as l plugged it into my laptop, the jack felt a bit loose and wiggly, not the snug fit you'd expect.
secondly, within 3 seconds of inserting the jack, the laptop crashed. coincidence? had to wait forever for battery to run down just to switch the thing off.
thirdly, while laptop was in throes of breathing its last, l moved about 6inches away from it and jack on extension cable leapt out of laptop socket - and that without exerting any pressure on coils at all.
fourthly, risked inserting jack into another device - this time no sound at all !!
so, all in all, a shoddy item best avoided.
it's only because item is so cheap
all in all a shoddy product.
it's only because the item was so cheap that l can't be bothered with hassle of requesting a refund and repackaging and returning etc. though having said that, if other dissatisfied customers feel the same way and just bin the offending item, the vendor is onto a nice little earner...
3 people found this helpful
on 31 July 2015
Proper headphone cable, like back from the 70s; curvy, funky, flared afro cable, not like your modern day skinny cables. This cable's got groove too - they're not like your average, limp headphone cable, hanging wearily from your ears, just oozing aloof disdain at the ease at which they perform their task - like so much hi tech does these days. It isn't just me is it? Tech is definitely getting more arrogant don't you think? But hey, let's not dwell, because this bad boy brings some good old boogie to house; plug them in and they just can't help bouncy and bopping and bringing some swing back into the listening experience.
So how does it do this? Well it's good old old school science: modern headphone cables use all their energy and resources being 'longer'. What this headphone extension lead does is...coil. Ok, I know it might sound very technical, but basically it means the cable bunches up coz it just ain't cool to be trying too hard, so why be stretching yourself for the man if he ain't prepared to stretch for you? So, all the energy that is saved doing this, and here's the clever part, is used to get its freak on the beats and do some serious jumpin' jack flash.
It makes me feel like I'm not dancing alone.
But don't be deceived by the playfulness of the 'coils' though, when it comes to doing the business they literally 'spring' in to action going long just when you need it. These easily stretch from my iPod to my bedroom mirror, which I find handy for those times I like to practice my 'sexy approach' dance moves.
Great for pretending you're a cyborg, CIA agent or have a tail too.
I would have given it 5 Stars but it doesn't come with a wireless option.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2012
I wanted this to extend the lead length of earphones when using my iPhone. I hoped the coiled design would avoid excess trailing leads.
The first thing to note that if you use the official iPhone earphones (white with volume control in lead) they do not work. This is because these have 4 connections on the jack. It plugs in OK, but sounds extremely tinny and distorted. Cursing that I'd bought a duff lead, I tried out 2 alternative earphones and both of these worked absolutely fine - but these have a 3 connection jack. (You can count up the "metal layers" separated by insulating black plastic.) So check the jacks on the leads you want to extend to ensure they are suitable.
With regard to the coil, it works OK for me, but as a reviewer has already pointed out pulling too hard to uncoil can pull out the jack! In my case (I use the iPhone in a holder at the side of my drum kit) I can secure the lead partway along the coil against a drum, and this gives me the correct length, without trailing leads. So works for me, fine.
7 people found this helpful
on 11 May 2015
Hopeless quality!! I ordered this to extend my earphones from my PC whilst listening back to minutes recorded on a dictaphone at work. First the cord is very short and doesn't uncoil unless stretched quite forcefully so it actually ends up dragging my earphones LOWER than they were before, which is completely counter productive! Also, the sound quality is useless. Whereas before I could listen to recordings on stereo, plugging my earphones into this coil seems to make everything mono, and very very quiet and muffled. Going straight in the bin as it's not worth the money sending them back. What a waste when a product has only one function and it completely fails in that!!
on 19 November 2014
If you ever get 5mtr in length out of this you will be doing incredibly well! 5mtrs? No way! This at best will stretch to not much more than 2mtrs. Fair enough it may have taken 5mtrs of cable to make it but to sell it as a 5mtr cable is 3mtrs short of what you actually get! Connection (male) was not the best of fits either, just a little bit loose allowing movemt to lose a good continuous connection. Conclusion. Comes up somewhat short of what I expected! Which was a 5mtr cable!
2 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2016
Had this in use for a week and already had problems with the volume dropping in one ear with my headphones. Attach my headphones directly and no problems, so I'm requesting a refund on this cable

It's also too tightly coiled so you actually only get a metre extension at best before the stress pulls the jack from the socket, not even close to the 4 metres marketed.
on 1 July 2016
Be aware that this coiled cable about 75cm long and 4mt is the total length of the cable.
DO NOT BUY if you need a 4mt cable and read ALL the product description. Cheeky sellers tend to write important details in the small print, at the bottom of the page.
You can of course extend the cable up to 1.5m not longer or the jack will we pulled out of the plug.
Delivery was super prompt!
review image
on 15 February 2015
For some reason this cable smells like when a mouse crawled under my bed and died.......had to replace the bed and cut out a pice of the carpet to get rid of that smell. Also the coil on the cable is real tightly sprung, i.e. has a lot of tension so yeah it extends but you have to hold it with one hand so it doesnt pull my headphones out of my ears. Pretty useless for anything light, seeing as its a small jack extension that probably most things you can use it for.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 July 2017
The coils on this needed stretching before it reached to where I needed it to go. The cable seems well made and works well.For the price I don't know how they do it and delivery from Kenable was excellent. Fully recommended and will use this company again.