on 13 September 2013
I bought a bunch of these to help connect the power to some White LED strip lighting. At 2.1mm Inside Diameter (ID) and 5.5mm Outside Diameter (OD) the connectors are a standard size for most 12V DC systems, including many CCTV cameras and lots of Power Supply Bricks (PSBs). Some PSBs use the slightly larger 2.5mm/5.5mm female which usually (but not always) makes good connection to the 2.1mm/5.5mm male.

I measured the loop resistance of each of the five leads and they were all the same at 1.0 Ohm there and back. So if the lead is passing 1 Amp it will drop 1 Volt. This resistance is reasonable for powering a CCTV camera which typically uses 0.08 Amp in daylight and maybe 0.3 Amp when lighting the Infra Red LEDs for the night vision. Furthermore, most of the cameras have a local regulator and are designed to tolerate a small drop in the supply voltage when using long leads, so yes, we can use these leads with a CCTV camera - if the plugs fit.

However for my LED strip lights, which take a lot more current than a camera and are sensitive to voltage variations, I had to make sure these power leads were cut as short as possible before soldering the cut end to the strip, and the LED strips were also cut into short lengths so as not to take too much current, and all were star connected back to the two dimmers and the power supply.

Other 5m and 10m leads of this 2.1mm/5.5mm style I have used in the past, but of a different make (4.8mm cable diameter, but alas no longer available), were significantly better at about a fifth of the resistance, which means these thinner (only 2.8mm cable diameter) ones supplied by Kenable lose a star.
14 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 13 August 2017
I ordered this 10m extension cable but unfortunately it didn't work when connected! I contacted the Seller who was very helpful and sent me another cable and wrote off the first one! Upon receiving the second cable, I was confident that, as the first cable seemed to be faulty, the replacement would work just fine but, it didn't! I contacted the Seller about returning but again they told me to dispose of it. I don't think these "faulty" cables were the Sellers fault and, with loads of positive reviews from other buyers, I personally don't think that the cables were faulty; for some unknown reason, these cables were just not compatible with my CCTV camera.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2017
I bought this to use with my guitar/mic pedal board assembly. Specifically to extend a 9 volt power supply, from a spare flying plug on the board, to a pedal I place at the foot of my mic stand. It has the right size line socket on one end, to take the pedal board plug and a matching line plug on the other to plug into the pedal. That's to say it's the 5.5mm x 2.1mm standard DC power plug/socket used on most guitar pedals by Boss, Marshall and the rest.

So it's perfect for the job, with only a small amount of exposed steel earth sleeve. This one is a metre long, but they do come in various lengths. Now I've seen the quality, I'll buy a number of lengths to suit different situation. I don't like lots of spare trailing cable, or I may need something with plugs at both ends (not plug & line socket as this is).

And here's why I went to Kenable for this cable. Forty years ago, when I lived in a town in England, I could walk into a local store buy a product and pretty much everything I needed to go with it. If I realised I'd not covered every eventuality I could pop back to the store and get the other parts that I needed. Superstores came along, whom only wanted to stock the items with profit margins (maybe to sell them cheaply) and suddenly all the little extras we needed were no longer available, hard to find or weeks on back-order. And the smaller shops that supplied them, disappeared from the high streets of our local towns. The internet just accelerated the process. A lot of us ended up making-do, or learning to make ourselves (invalidating warranties in the process). Even the local electronics stores that we might have used to buy the components suffered the same fate and disappeared into oblivion. My last local one closed when the ageing owner died about 10 years ago.

So it's a delight to discover a supplier like Kenable. They have what I need. The quality is good (well it matches the price). Prices are very competitive (again for the quality) and the postal charges are not crippling. Responses to emails were almost immediate and helpful. This is a far cry from a number of other Amazon sellers whose products have proven faulty, poor quality, or just the wrong thing, with evidence of poor quality control. Not so with Kenable so far. I will be buying more from them.
on 10 September 2017
Just to confirm that this fits with my "Ctronics" brand WIFI Wireless Security Camera.

I needed to temporarily run a newly purchased camera over a greater distance than the cable & power adaptor came with, so ordered this "kenable" as a bundle to jerry-rig it in the interim.

The cable is THIN, so you need to ensure that it doesn't snag, get pierced or pulled whatsoever, yes it will do the job its intended (if you match barrel size) & for outdoors the sheathing will harden & crack after a time, that's the nature of this product, really it could do with being better gauge (thicker) & better protected (sheathing).

Otherwise no complaints, the price was good, as was the protection afforded it for delivery.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 March 2018
I own 2 similar cables, both white, by another manufacturer and the Kenable performs just as well. Where Kenable differ is that they offer lengths of between 0.5m and 10m. I purchased 5m. It is a simple device with very little to go wrong. These cable have a complimentary 5.5mm (2.1mm inner) plugs and sockets at each end of the cable and therefore 2 or more cables can be plugged end-to-end to make a longer cable.Recommended.
on 13 September 2013
I bought a bunch of these to help connect the power to some White LED strip lighting. At 2.1mm Inside Diameter (ID) and 5.5mm Outside Diameter (OD) the connectors are a standard size for most 12V DC systems, including many CCTV cameras and lots of Power Supply Bricks (PSBs). Some PSBs use the slightly larger 2.5mm(ID)/5.5mm female which usually (but not always) makes good connection to the 2.1mm(Pin)/5.5mm male.

I measured the loop resistance of each of the five leads and they were all the same at 0.6 Ohm there and back. So if the lead is passing 1 Amp it will drop 0.6 Volts. This resistance is reasonable for powering a CCTV camera which typically uses 0.08 Amp in daylight and maybe 0.3 Amp when lighting the Infra Red LEDs for the night vision. Furthermore, most of the cameras have a local regulator and are designed to tolerate a small drop in the supply voltage when using long leads, so yes, we can use these leads with a CCTV camera - if the plugs fit.

2 people found this helpful
on 22 August 2017
Very flimsy wouldn't buy again from you very disappointed the plugs wouldn't fit together very lose had to tape them together in the end I threw them away couldn't be bothered to send them back waste of money I went to another store got what I wanted and happy with that thicker wire and plugs held together not lose like yours.
on 22 April 2016
This 12v extension cable was exactly as described and works without issue. There isn't much to say about an extension lead, other than it worked, appears to be very good quality and has durable connectors that appear to be well made. The delivery was also very quick. Perfect really! I used mine for my HTC Vive base stations.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 July 2017
Excellent service arrived very promptly from order - and good quality too - used as guitar power cables for effects pedal off a multi power supply excellent(various lengths available so not dragging power supply around for likes of your wah pedal - different size plug/socket connotations available.
on 15 July 2015
Purchased as power extension lead to a 5m long DIY LED lighting kit operating at 12V.

It does what it's meant to but be aware that the cable resistance does result in a small power drop to the LED lights for which I used it. I've also used a 5m version which I calculated to give a 20% power drop to the 5m long LED light kit.

If you're not worried about a power drop then it's fine and does it's job.