Customer reviews

Futurist Manifesto - 1974-1978
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 October 2012
Years ago I purchased 'Futurama' and 'Modern Music' on vinyl and felt then as I do now, that BBD were a major talent that should been a lot more commercially successful then was the case in reality. This is truly a great set- it's very comprehensive, nicely packaged (sleevenotes are informative if a tad anodyne)and it is reasonably priced.The demo material is of some merit, especially the rather intriguing 'Heavenly Homes' and 'The Saxophonist',but as you'd expect they are works in progress and must be appreciated in that same spirit.

However having all the studio albums in place confirmed a suspicion that Bill - great guitarist, musical visionary and on his day inspired songwriter that he was and is,could have a been little more inclusive in terms of collaboration with other band members. This might have led to more consistency and perhaps a little less of the occasionally overwrought,needlessly intricate arrangements that tend to clutter things up a rather too much on occasion.I'm not sure that Bill was ever really comfortable with the idea that BBD were a 'straight ahead' rock band. Bill's musical vision stretched from the sublime pop-rock of 'Maid in Heaven' to the fascinating but bizarrely off-kilter art-song that is 'Futuristic Manifesto' and then into areas that might be described as jazz fusion.Perhaps he was and is, an artist for whom musical labels mean nothing, leaving it very difficult for audiences to precisely identify exactly what brand 'Nelson' stands for,hence his relatively limited appeal.

I brought this set so that I could get my hands on 'Futurama','Modern Music' and individual tracks such as the beautiful 'Visions of Endless Hopes' and the stunning 'Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape'. 'Axe Victim' has its moments with tracks like 'Rocket Cathedrals' but remastering has has not disguised the quasi demo like feel of the production. 'Drastic Plastic' sounds like an experiment that stretched the idea of what Nelson could put out under the BBD moniker way to far for the existing fan base. It was a brave experiment but the songs for the most part are not amongst Bill's better efforts and they tend to groan under the weight of the arrangements.

In summation then -I rate this set. I must confess I thought the remastering could have been a bit sharper, especially 'Futurama', an album that sounds great on vinyl as you'll appreciate if you are ever lucky enough ever to track down a decent copy. If you are a guitar player, this collection is definitely required listening. Bill is astonishing through out- his tone, taste and ability to create excitement puts him in the premier league of guitarists.In my opinion, Bill Nelson could just about anyone a run for their money- he is simply brilliant.

So, despite my quibbles and groans, this is a great set and very good value. Recommended.
on 2 September 2017
Great music from Yorkshire very own bard

I loved this band at the time and, was fortunate enough to see them more than once- Compositional and musically brilliant with surely, one of the most underrated British Guitarists of all time.

when this man picks up an axe any musical instrument in fact - magic things start to happen - and to this day too
on 12 February 2015
One of the most interesting bands from the 1970's, it is my considered opinion that Bill Nelson and his musical compadres were a very special musical filter creating truly original music that influenced so many bands in the '70s and '80s... and still influences musicians today. They achieved wonderful artistic highs across five BBD albums, plus this box set comes with a bonus disc of extras. And what extras! Some of the best live rock and roll you will ever hear recorded by anyone, anywhere at any time. Bill is surely one of England's greatest composers and plays a truly mean guitar solo. He's criminally under-rated. To wrap up, the remastering sounds great, there are nice liner notes included - it's an unmissable package if you have even a passing interest in Be Bop Deluxe, Bill Nelson or top rate rock music of the 1970s.
on 27 October 2012
I first became interested in music at about the time that Be Bop Deluxe disbanded; I gradually accumulated their albums on vinyl but they were never a particular favourite. When the CD era dawned I didn't upgrade their albums and for many years my only BBD on CD was the BBC in concert disc. Listening to them now I am struck by how fresh and modern most of it sounds and how they have leapfrogged most of their rock contemporaries in my estimation.
This collection has (to the best of my knowledge) every studio recording they made, including singles and rarities, so it ideal for people such as myself rediscovering the canon and also for anyone who hasn't indulged before but values intelligent rock music: they are in for a treat. For the hardened fan the main attraction is likely to be disc five which features previously unreleased demos and a large slice of previously unreleased live material, mainly versions from Modern Music which to my mind is their masterpiece.
Absolutely recommended.
on 12 June 2016
Superb! Back catalogue & extra unreleased tracks, worth every penny, get this, Live at the BBC &Live in the air age, Job done!
Just about every thing Be Bop Deluxe have recorded, In my opinion one of the best bands around in the 70s and sadly very underrated, should have been massive.
on 26 February 2013
Be-bop are a band who for a while teetered on the brink of greatness but are now largely and as this collection shows only too well unfairly forgotten. I mean when was the last time you heard a be-bop song on the radio. Yet listening to this now, much of which I haven't heard for more years than I care to remember, and it still sounds fresh sharp and relevant. With the added bonus that buying the albums in this set was several pounds cheaper than buying them individually and it takes up less room on the shelf.
on 9 November 2013
This is a very nice set and it really does illustrate what a fantastic band Be Bop Deluxe was. We're so lucky to have all this wonderful music to listen to!

I have to confess though that I was hoping for a little more from the remastering, particularly where 'Sunburst Finish' is concerned. The original CD sounded pretty flat and lifeless when compared to the vinyl edition and, unfortunately, the version presented here doesn't sound any better in my opinion.

The other albums always did sound OK on the CD format so no complaints about those, although a few 5.1 surround sound remixes would've been welcomed and might've made the set a little more interesting :-)
on 28 February 2016
There is no bad song in this fivefold box.I'd bet that good part of their work has influenced on the debut of Television if I'm not mistaken.
on 19 September 2017
Fabulous songs, great remastering. It doesn't get much better...especially at this price.
on 2 February 2012
My copy arrived (in Canada) today, and, although I'd have preferred a "proper" box for the set, the jewel case is perfectly adequate. The 16-page booklet has a one-page write-up on each album by Kevin Cann, and Bill Nelson has written a page on Disc 5. A truly *deluxe* Deluxe would have cost 50 quid if it had a full size book and all the trimmings. As it is, we have a genuine bargain - all (I think) of BBD's official studio output and a few bonus cuts. Pretty good for me!