• Zaz

Customer reviews

Zaz
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 October 2017
After a “suggestion” from Amazon (“Frequently bought together with…” or “Recommended for you based on…” or whatever Amazon’s marketing ploy was!), I listened to some of Zaz’s music using digital samples, and liked what I heard, and liked it enough to purchase Zaz’s eponymous album – “Zaz”.

Well if that helpful little marketing ploy from Amazon gave me the opportunity to listen to Zaz, I am very grateful, and any cynicism about the ploy is tongue-in-cheek, because the first three times I listened to this album, I did so on repeat and I love it!

Listening for the first time, there were one or two songs that I thought would probably be very easy to remember, but listening to “Zaz” that first time, I wondered how easily I would be able to recall the rest of the album. But, after it had played out to the end I put it on again straight away and second time round songs were starting to become more familiar (as they should) and more enjoyable. Each time I have played “Zaz” I have enjoyed it more and more, the songs, all of the songs are memorable and I think that Zaz’s voice is incredible and that she and her band sound fantastic. I don’t speak French (which is my loss as far as I am concerned) and so can only imagine at how much better my enjoyment could be if I know what the lyrics meant, as there’s no translation of lyrics and no subtitles on the DVD (nor should they be expected to be there!), but there’s plenty of emotion and fantastic singing that gets much of the sentiment across for me (or anyone else who also doesn’t speak French) and to be able to enjoy anyway.

There are a number of different versions of this album. The version I bought is a CD and DVD combination (Zaz”, Label: Play On - 886978051929), and the two discs are presented most beautifully in a small hardback book arrangement. Each disc is in a sleeve on the inside of the front and of the back covers, and there’s a 24-page booklet inside that has lyrics, photographs, and a sort of watercolour cartoon – “Le voyage de Zaz”. The CD of eleven songs is 39 minutes long and the DVD is a 26 minute documentary.

CD Tracklist

11 Éblouie par la nuit

Plus “Bande dessinée”

Plus DVD: “A travers ZAZ”: un documentaire inédit de 26 mn
on 4 September 2017
Love her music. The CD is a bit short of songs, but the only irritating thing about that is I have to hit the replay button several times on a long car trip.
on 22 March 2018
Zaz is a brilliant French singer and this CD is brilliant. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys music from across the Channel.
on 1 April 2017
A very enjoyable album, plenty of foot tapping and spontaneous " get up and dance "track's.
All with the added pleasure of the wonderful voice and French lyric's from Zaz. 10/10
on 17 September 2012
I read the reviews here on Amazon before buying this cd and one that made me laugh (and decide to buy it) was by someone going by the name of wadrad, as quoted in my title. From the moment I received it and started playing it, I understood what he meant.

I don't understand a word she's singing but I really don't care. Her voice is amazing; she's got this slightly husky/smoky quality to her voice and the slightly folksy music compliments her perfectly. Her songs are nearly all upbeat with some scatting here and there, and will have you feeling like bopping across the room.

I initially bought it for Dans Ma Rue but quickly fell in love with all her other songs. There's not a song on this album that I don't like. A must-get.
on 24 December 2017
Great album that grows on you. Shades of Django R and Steffan G. An uplifting evocative work. Love it
on 1 December 2014
She's a unique sound in the Parisienne chanson tradition. She's up there and doing well so she doesn't need my endorsement. It's great to see a French artist getting some success in the English speaking world. I love hearing her in ASDA on the PA.
on 17 October 2017
I adore Zaz and this is a fantastic album, quick delivery 👌🏻
on 8 March 2017
Jazzy, upbeat and memorable from a great singer.
on 11 February 2017
Love her voice and vivacious nature