on 8 April 2010
I don't have an allotment but have always wanted to grow my own fruit, veg and herbs. This book is brilliant to show that you can grow practically anything in almost any type of container - from sinks to hanging baskets, in borders or wrapped around a pergola. What did surprise me was the variety of veg that are happy in containers - things like turnips and leeks or better still my favourite - beetroot. There is a whole chapter on herbs which would be a great help to anybody who likes cooking (never knew before that I could grow my own lemon grass!). It covers pests and diseases as well as tools all written in a simple to understand format.
on 8 April 2010
This is an easy to understand, easy to read guide to growing, "It does exactly what it says on the cover"
Mr Harrison explains everything you need to know in his own style without the need to use "jargon" or to make things complicated. Working from his own personal experience, he guides the reader through all the whys and wherefores, making the whole process of small/no garden vegetable growing seem as simple and easy as it can be.
Another great book from a great gardener.
on 29 July 2010
Brilliant book! For the first time I've found a book which tells me what I really want to know. So many gardening books only touch briefly on containers but this one deals with the subject properly. This is the first year I've had real success with container gardening and I'm delighted.
on 14 September 2011
As a novice gardener, with a small amount of space available for cultivation, I was looking for a book that would give good advice about where, when, what and how to grow veg and herbs in a restricted area. Looking at the reviews for this book, it seemed ideal. However it appears to provide little more than a list of which veg, fruit and herbs can be grown in pots, and which might turn out to be too large. Actual growing, planting and cultivation information is vague, intermittent and sketchy.
Perhaps the idea is to 'encourage' the purchase of the author's other book(s) to get a complete picture?
on 8 April 2010
This is a great book with the usual sound practical advice from John Harrison. I have an allotment but I grow quite a lot on my balcony at home, so this has been really useful. If you've anywhere you can put a window box or a tub - you really can grow your own, as this good value book shows. It's the right size to put in your pocket to read on the bus and a lot of good advice for not much outlay.
Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Growing in Small Spaces

John Harrison has done it again. Another great little book in his gardening series.

Here is a book for those with only limited space and it sets out many ways to grow vegetables fruit and herbs using a wide variety of pots boxes and raised beds. He gives straight forward information on what to grow, where to grow it and how to grow it. He also includes a useful section on pests and diseases.

A very practical guide for beginners and experienced gardeners alike. Excellent value !!!
on 26 May 2011
Its nice to have a book which is dedicated to container and small area gardening for once instead of just having it as a small part of a chapter. It was perhaps simplistic in places and skimmed over the surface of container gardening without going into too much depth. Fantastic if this is your first time gardening but if you have some experience its a bit basic, still not bad for what I paid for it
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2010
I just got some wooden raised beds for my small garden so I bought this book after seeing the lovely raised bed pictures on the cover of the book. Boy, was I disappointed when I open my amazon box and saw the book.

This is a small paperback book. There are NO COLOUR PICTURES (no pictures at all actually, just a few drawings/illustrations) in the book, so if like me you are expecting inspirational pictures then you may be disappointed. I nevertheless went ahead and read the book and was happy with all the info there, it's packed full of clear advices on what is suitable to grow in a small space, what is worth or not worth growing, how to make the most of the limited space you have.

The author is very passionate about gardening, and makes you want to become a better gardener. But I wished that he had included pictures of his own garden and of the clever containers that he talks about, and mostly pictures of the plants grown together in raised beds.
on 21 October 2010
Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Growing in Small Spaces

This has been one of 3 books i have read recently, Having a Very small Garden I found this to be the BEST one for General Advise, Growing Tips, Hints and Lots more thank expected for a cheap book.
Also the book is written in VERY easy to read format in PLAIN English and I praise John Harrison on the way he has presented this book.
For a Cheap in Price But NO corners cut on advise I MUST score this book as 100% it has been such an inspiration to read and VERY easy to put it into practice which I have.
on 28 July 2010
I have bought nearly all the books by this author - he is brilliant. Not only easy and fun to read but gives loads of help and information. Recommended.