on 12 October 2010
Probably one of the best Indian recipe books on the market. Priced at only couple of pounds you only need four spices and two masalas to make most of the recipes in this book. All of them are quick and easy to make and I'm sure are as authentic as an Indian Housewife would make. I have bought this book as a present. I have probably bought about six in total to give as gifts along with packets of the spices as so many people have commented on how good the curries taste that I have cooked from this book. If you only buy one curry recipe book make it this one. Tim
on 6 December 2005
I bought this book many years ago and use it all the time.
The recipes are wonderful and work. Best thing is that unlike many indian cookbooks, Pat Chapmans for example, it doesnt requre you to pre-prepare 6 basic sauces first. Just pick up the book and cook.
on 4 November 1999
This is one of the best curry books on the market, no fancy colour pictures just good instructions with accurate timing info etc - and all really tasty-tastic !!
on 5 November 2012
I'm probably the worst cook in the world, but God knows, I try. Every time I go into the kitchen and put on my stripy apron (wife bought it for me - her idea of humour, I think) the family disappear. I don't know where they go but they have it down to a fine art now. I've tried locking the doors, but they always manage to get out.

I've bought all the books; Jamie, Marco, and Gordon have all tried their best to help me. Books by these wonderful chefs, all with detailed instructions, on-trend recipes, and fantastic pictures, have been strewn across the kitchen among the pots and pans and general chaos - all to no avail. You know things are bad when the dog slinks off and hides somewhere when he sees me moving towards the kitchen.

I tried to cook an Indian curry once. Of course, nobody wanted to be in the same room as it, let alone eat it. When I tipped the unwanted sauce down the sink it burnt a hole in the plastic outlet pipes. The repair bill was horrendous, making it probably the most expensive curry ever cooked, anywhere, by anybody.

And then I found 'An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book' by Laxmi Khurana. There are no extravagant pictures, just a preparation and cooking time, a simple list containing required ingredients and a method of cooking. And there's more than a hundred recipes to chose from. It actually looks too good to be true.

It isn't.

I picked out one of the recipes, 'Fresh Chicken Curry' - page 96. There are thirteen ingredients and just six stages in the method list. And then I waited until everybody was out and cooked it. The hardest instruction was 'stir continuously for five minutes.' Even I could manage that.

It was ready in about an hour and a half. I let it sit for another hour and then put it into a large bowl and wrapped it in kitchen foil. When the clan arrived home I told them our neighbour, Mister Lokhani, had dropped off a chicken curry. (He does this occasionally. I think he took pity on me after he heard about the curry and the outlet pipe thing.) They all dived in and devoured the whole lot in about ten minutes. The comments were excellent and I just sat back and smiled inwardly. They were saying things like, '..if only you could cook like this, dad.' And '...this is how a curry should taste.' And '...hey dad, ask Mister Lokhani how he does it.'

Even the dog came out of hiding. He just stood by the kitchen door, staring at me. He knew. Had he been a few years younger, he probably would have taken me down. Good job he's a benign Labrador and not a Rottweiler.

Can't wait to present the family with Mister Lokhani's next effort - 'Dry Bhoona Lamb Chops' - (page 82).
55 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2003
I have bought and been bought a lot of cookery books over the years - this is by far the best one I have. The recipes are very simple and clear to follow. They produce the best curries I have ever made. The ingredients can all be found easily in any super market.
I love it!
on 21 February 2009
This recipes in this book produce authentic tasting recipes, however an inexperienced cook might find the lack of pictures of the food a handicap
on 26 September 2011
This book is for the person who does not like to spend too much time cooking but does like tasty food, no basic sources are required and in most cases preparation time is less than an half hour
Supposedly 'curry' is now regarded by many as the national dish of the British and curry restaurants outnumber any other 'style' of eaterie. And yet few bother to naturally prepare and cook curries in their own homes, preferring instead to eat in a curry restaurant, buy a take-away, or 'contract out' by buying one of those preservative-tasting, ready made sauces that proliferate the shelves of every supermarket, and just bunging in the meat and/or vegetable.

There is obviously a belief that Indian cuisine is beyond the capabilities of most people, which is a misconception blown apart by Laxmi Khurana in her book "An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book". The author is an Indian housewife living in the UK, and her recipes have been handed down to her through the generations and cover all types of dishes, meat, vegetable and dhal, but also an array of starters, raitas, chutneys, pickles, and sweets.

In demolishing the myth that Indian cookery is difficult and long-winded, Laxmi Khurana shows it can be fun and simple. Going against the current obsession of a morass of coloured photography, this book just concentrates on giving over 100 traditional recipes which are easy to assemble ingredients for, and very straightforward and simple to cook. My family has tried many of the recipes, the end results of which are miles better than 'the bottled sauce' option, and much cheaper than the restaurant or take-away route.
on 16 January 2012
I have bought a lot of Indian cookery books over the years as I have always enjoyed eating Indian food, and wanted to learn to cook it. I got married two years ago to an Indian man from Kerala and received a few tips from my mother-in-law and now I have become quite good at making curries, and can cook something without even picking up a book.I bought this book because of the great reviews.and thought that I might learn something new. It is ok for people that have no idea about Indian cooking, but for people that really know Indian food, would realize that the recipes are not really authentic Indian recipes, and have been changed to suit the British taste. Most of the recipes are more or less the same and gives people the wrong impression about curries. India is a huge country and each region has its own way of cooking and tastes. This book lacks variety.
However,for people that want to learn the basics it is fine. It is not expensive and it is written in a clear, instructive way. But, for poeple that know about cooking Indian food and have been to India, will be quite disappointed with this book.
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2012
It may be plainly written - it may not have any pictures (in ebook) - it may scan a little old fashioned (it has been out for a while after all!) but oh my giddy aunt - the recipes' deliver! I bought this about a year ago and it has taken me a little time to use (see reasons above) but - oh my - you have to try this if you like to cook indian food. Just dished up the Chicken Vindaloo, the first time I have cooked this and only tried it because the other Vindaloo recipes I have take way too long (marinading overnight etc). Just to die for and - adjusting for taste - not mind blowingly hot. The author is too modest when she describes this a 'merely' family dishes - the recipes I've tried are better than any London Indian restaurant dish I've had. Go buy.