Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£20.00+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 8 April 2010
Stephen Hawking's Universe is a 2010 science documentary TV mini-series written by British physicist Stephen Hawking. The series was created for Discovery Channel by Darlow Smithson Productions and features computer generated imagery of the universe created by Red Vision (not to be confused with the 1997 PBS series by the same name and slightly different content )

An original soundtrack was composed for the series by television and film composer Sheridan Tongue, combining symphonic orchestral recordings with electronic and sampled elements. The score was recorded and mixed in 5.1 surround sound for HD broadcast and DVD and Blu-ray release. It is narrated by the British actor Benedict Cumberbatch ( Hawkins in the BBC series , Atonement and Starter for 10 ) and Professor Hawking .Of note is his superb sense of humor that add a light touch to the series ( aka Brian Cox and his Rock and roll image ) .

Episode 1 - Aliens: In "Are We Alone?"

This is the weakest episode of the series ,by trying to produce clever graphics to illustrate possible life forms in the universe the series looks more appealing to the American market with strong visual effects . Hawking considers one of the most important mysteries facing humankind - the possibility of alien, intelligent life. He leads us on a journey from the moons of Jupiter to a galaxy maybe not so far, far away. We will meet possible aliens and wonder at their form, we will delve into the very principles of what it is to call something alive, and we will calculate the likelihood of 'contact' being made.

Episode 2 - Time Travel: "Is Time Travel Possible?"

A more enjoyable episode with a great explanation of all we know about time travel .It is very reassuring to know that it can only happen in one direction .Examples of how it can be possible are easy to understand .He explores the world's favorite scientific 'what if?' He explores all the possibilities, warping the very fabric of time and space as he goes. From killing your grandfather to riding a black hole, we learn the pitfalls and the prospects for a technology that could quite literally, change everything.

Episode 3 - The Story of Everything: The Story of Everything.

This is what the series is all about , the real story of the Universe from the Big Bang to today and the possible outcomes of our Universe .Running over 2 hours Stephen Hawking's brilliance comes at the end of the episode whrn he explains the differences between "Creationism " and " random evolution " . He explains how life can be possible in our planet but before that took places many planets , solar system , galaxies and even Universes have occurred before . The ideas that the Universe was created by design are dismissed and replaced with the his theory which I can only describe as the galactic equivalent of Darwin's Evolution .

I would recommend the DVD to anyone who wants a basic introduction to the history of the Universe. Is not as watchable as Wonders of the solar system but it comes close second.
33 Comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2017
ok
on 9 August 2017
Great.
on 20 May 2017
Reasonable priced and received item in good condition
on 2 June 2012
We found this really interesting. So much so that I bought a second copy straight away and sent it to my brother!

Well written by Stephen Hawking and very well narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch, and very good graphics to go with it.

There's a two 43-minute episodes and one 86 minute episode (174 minutes total time) on alien life, time-travel, space-time and universe.

I've also seen a similar BBC series called "Wonders of the Universe" with Brian Cox, and it wasn't anywhere near as good. So I would definitely recommend Stephen Hawking's Universe instead.
on 24 November 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this and even more on blu-ray. I've watched other documentaries on the exact same subjects that are described in this feature but Stephen Hawking's Universe has that extra little something. When watching other documentaries about how gravity works in the universe or how we can manipulate time, I can't help but get lost and over confused ( I might add that I am a bit of a simpleton ). However, the way that Stephen Hawking illustrates his theories really makes it easy and simple to take in, in other words 'Perfect mind candy'.

Also, you really get a feel for Stephen's personality as every word said in this stunning documentary is his own. He comes across as very down to earth ( I know, ironic isn't it? ) yet quite open minded to extreme ideas and my favourite trait he has is his humour.

Overall, I really felt this documentary reached out to me and answered lots of those questions I'd been asking myself whenever looking up at the stars. It's a great educational buy.
on 25 August 2013
Well presented and entertaining, good CG to make it more interesting to the noddy like me, very thought provoking - enjoyed it.
on 10 November 2010
Time travel is possible! Scientific genius Stephen Hawking makes the history of the universe both intelligible and fascinating to the layman. Benedict Cumberbatch's narration is also an appropriate guide on this breathtaking visual journey. I'm new to this reviewing caper so I can't think of anything more.
on 18 October 2015
Interesting and insightful documentary and well pitched to the ordinary person. Morgan Freeman is probably the perfect choice to narrate a documentary like this as he is easy to listen to and puts thing in easy to understand language without being patronising.
I think the previous reviewer has covered the contents pretty well, so I'll just add that I bought this DVD for my A-level studies students who have to study 'science and society'. They are going to love it---all the wonderful use of colour and graphics to explain such difficult concepts. And no maths! Even those students who think they loathe science will be fascinated. So, I'd recommend it for teachers.