on 29 June 2011
I agree with those who have said how disappointing they found the charge on the 'rechargable' batteries. I have charged mine for several hours, but as soon as I use it as a portable it gives up the ghost within a few minutes. Judging by the number of reviewers who got up to 20 hours worth of listening, I can only think either my radio or the batteries supplied are faulty. I shall be asking for a replacement or a refund immediately.
1515 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 March 2016
I like it, a great little radio. I mainly listen to speech on it, so I couldn't really comment about its musical performance, but it has a single 2 ish inch speaker, so its a trade off for weight, size cost and portability! But great for me for speech radio. To me it sounds fine, not boxy or tinny at all.
Good points:
A matter of opinion but it looks nice, better than in the picture, it appears and feels well made. The press buttons also feel good quality (I'm fussy!).
It has a proper volume DIAL no stupid pressy buttons for the volume.
On DAB it takes a very acceptable 3 seconds to start up.
In the pics the solar panel seems to dominate the design, it almost put me off, but again it looks absolutely fine in reality.
Reception in my poor recception area is excellent, previous radios failed dismally in the very same spots in my house where this beast works just fine, I occasionally have to pull the aerial out a bit but that is no problem at all.
The display is large, bright and clear, it illuminates for a few seconds when you turn the thing on and when you change the stations, a good idea.
I use it 10 - 30 minutes a day on speech radio mainly, set fairly loud (its a big room) its never going to deafen anyone but it can go well beyond more than loud enough for me without the sound deteriorating. I put it in the window facing south,and despite the winter daylight it charges from the available daylight just fine, I got it around december, use it everyday, and in mid March I have never had to charge it with the mains charger, the daylight it gets has charged it just fine! Obviously I don't know if I'm using 10% or 99% of the available charge.
The sound is nice and clear, some have said its a little bassy, but I haven't noticed that, there is no adjustment for bass and treble but I don't think its necessary on a unit like this.
I like the dial you can turn through the available channels on DAB and just press to select, and the autotune setup worked so well I don't even remember pressing it.
i PARTICULARLY like the "favourite" button, I have it set to a DAB channel and it always goes to the correct station even if it is on FM and not DAB. - nice touch.
I like the addition of the low battery LED. It hasn't gone flat yet but I appreciate the warning!
The display shows the station you are listening to and the time and date which i like, or a bit of blurb about the radio station.
Its small, light and portable, and I never need to charge it!
One major plus with Roberts radios in particular, it might not sound like much but on DAB the 4 I have dotted around the house are all in sync, that is, the audio does not have the irritating few second difference I used to get with other radios in the past.

Not so good but not really that bad points:
I'm being picky, but the "preset" took a little getting used to, but ok once I got used to it, with preset "off" the tuning dial goes through all the DAB channels, and with preset "on" (A big heart symbol on the display) the tuning dial goes through the stored presets only. After getting used to it it works well, and I suppose you can more easily have lot of presets stored (I don't know how many it can hold, but I have 6 set and thats all I need) and maybe its better than it brisling with preset buttons.
Thanks to probably clumsiness occasionally when I pick it up to wander around with it I hit the power button. Always at a crucial moment! Aaagh!
I wish they had said more clearly on the amazon writeup it has batteries in the box, on the amazon page it says "Batteries 3 Lithium ion batteries required" so I ordered them separately, and further down the page it said "Uses 3 x LR6 (AA size) batteries or rechargeable equivalent (included)" which I didn't read. Something like "Yes, it comes with batteries, stupid" at the top would have been handy for me.

Also if you use rechargeable batteries which I guess almost all will, make sure the switch inside the battery cover is set to the correct type. Not sure exactly what it does but what I know about batteries its important to charge them correctly.

I had a black model but wish now I'd been a bit more imaginative and got a brightly coloured red or green one! Oh well, i could always buy another one...
on 8 September 2017
Excellent little portable radio. I use it as a bedside radio. It's small and perfect for quieter listening, and I've used it 2 years in a row on my camping trips. The solar panel works extremely well, and the radio holds it charge for a very long period between charges. If I fully charge the radio on the mains then unplug it and move it around the house, it just keeps going (I think it's around 30 hours play between charges). Perfect little radio for my purposes. Clearly if you want better sound quality, then the size of the radio would need to be larger. I've got a large Roberts radio in the kitchen, which you can really crank up, and the bass on that set is brilliant (clearly on this small radio, bass and volume are limited). So over all I would recommend this if you want a mobile little radio which is solar powered. If you want something with more power, then you will need to go for one of Roberts (or alternative makers) larger radios.
on 4 August 2017
Very happy with this radio. The sound is good & it is great to be able to take it around the house & garden without worrying about an electricity point. My only slight concern is that it doesn't seem to charge via the sun.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2018
A nice looking radio and easy to use but, the solar charge doesn't last that long although you can mains charge it which does last a long time. What I don't like is the vibration noise it makes (like a tinny vibration sound) when playing people talking. I have tried sitting it on a rubber mat in an attempt to stop it but it doesn't make any difference - very annoying and it spoils it - I would not buy another.
on 7 February 2018
Sits in the bathroom window, needs a top up charge about 1 a month. It doesn't get much light, especially over winter, so no complaints at all.
Sound is good and loud for a little portable unit, reception good, fast to start up and easy to operate.
I went through a couple of different radios to find a battery powered bathroom DAB radio that didn't need to be charged every few days and this works a treat.
It's my second Roberts, the other works well too.
on 3 September 2016
This is a really nice radio. I use it in the garden during the summer months, and it keeps agreeably charged in the sunlight. But I keep the charger handy, and sometimes have to top up once in a while. The sound quality is excellent, and is very rich in the base, which I think is the reason why the battery cover vibrates when I have the volume any higher than modest-to-medium. A bit of a nuisance when I want to listen at higher volumes, such as when I am in the kitchen, and the radio must compete against the sounds of boiling kettle and microwave fan. When I press my thumb against the battery cover, the vibrating ceases, so I am looking out for a very thin bit of foam, which if positioned tightly under the cover, will stop the buzzing noises.

UPDATE. I used a piece of folded tissue paper to jam between the batteries and the flap/door thing. This is only somewhat successful, but does reduce the buzzing and vibrations that otherwise would occur, but does not suppress them for loud volumes. This is sufficiently annoying for me to get another radio for when I want louder volumes. Not a Roberts, though.
on 31 August 2017
Oh Wow!
Something I've had for about a year. I'm sure everybody knows that you buy something on say Friday
and you get asked to review it on the following Wednesday. I have things I would love to mention about
the idiocy of that, no doubt this this will be automatically deleted. Nonetheless,nil desperandum. I guess
I have grown to love my Roberts radio which is why I have given it 5 stars. It has given me nothing but
pleasure. It is not hi-fi but it's darn good. I'm off on holiday, to the the remote depths of Herefordshire and
Roberts will be going with me.I don't think I can add to that only by request. Happy radio listening!!
on 11 June 2014
This just arrived today. Opened the packaging, turned it on, and it was already tuned to my local favourite radio station?!?!?!?!

Impressed with the sound quality for a small portable radio. It's not a ghetto blaster, but it is certainly adequate for a portable radio.

It sounds good. It looks good. It performs well.

I got this to replace a Freeplay radio I've had for a few years. Freeplay has a winder, and I was concerned as I believed DAB radios had a much higher power requirement than standard FM radios.
The Freeplay was consigned to the bin after I lent it to a 'plasterer' who was working on my property, and it was returned in an unusable condition. As an aside, if you are in the Leeds area looking for a plasterer, feel free to check out [...].weebly.com/ for details of the poor quality plastering work.

But on with the review, this radio is extremely clear, easy to use, and I am really looking forward to using the solar part in my garden during the summer. The downside is that with the Yorkshire summer, I will probably only have this pleasure for the two to three days a year when it's not raining.

But this does not detract from the radio.

A previous reviewer commented adversely on the carrying handle, and I must concur with this. The 'handle' is not the best in the world, it is difficult to safely carry the radio with this moulded handle. Bearing in mind the light weight and compact size of the radio, this is a very minor annoyance, and I feel I am nit-picking by complaining about this.

Size of the radio is what I was expecting from the images, approx 200mm long, 125 high, 50 wide. None of these measurements have been taken with a tape.

Overall, very pleased with this radio, worth the higher cost over cheaper alternatives, IMHO.
on 20 August 2017
This is my 4th Roberts radio (the first bought in the 1960s). They seem to last pretty well. It's smaller than the others but produces decent sound despite the plastic rather than wooden cabinet. I keep it in the window of my bedroom where it gets daylight all day, albeit through double glazing. I had expected this to be sufficient to keep it charged despite around 4 hours a day of use on DAB. However the recharging light only comes on when very strong sunlight is beating directly on the top of the radio. A disappointment in our cantankerous climate.