Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2010
i saw this at the cinema - the reviews were terrible but I'm used to critics "not getting" bollywood and humour.
it was a bit slow in places - with panoramic sweeps of the city etc, but clearly that is to be of interest overseas. The plot was good, the one liners were superb, and the black humour very funny. Yes its about murder, but humourous murder - who could quibble about that when there are so many vile violent films out there ?
and the food fight - if you can call it that, was very funny indeed, the slowmotion poppadoms shattering everywhere, the sag aloo splattering down, very very funny, very arty and yet had an inner dignity
still giggle at the vegetarian ghost who complains that she has been murdered with a meat skewer - you could have used a paneer skewer she plaintively cries.
my only negaitive remark is that some of the minor characters were rather one dimemsional - the police are UK police but they behave just like indian police would in a film, so again I'd guess that is for the export market
I'm ordering the DVD so my mum can watch it with me, she is going to love it too
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2010
I was put off watching this by all the negative reviews and totally regret that now because it is a fabulous movie.
on 31 March 2017
Hilarious black comedy about a woman desperate to get her daughter married off. Mrs Sethi is so devoted that she takes to murdering people who are unkind about the daughter's marriage prospects, then finds herself being haunted by their understandably annoyed ghosts. My favourite line comes from Zoe Wannamaker as the Sethis jewish next door neighbour Mrs Goldman - asked by Mrs Sethi where Jews go when they die she replies 'Willesden - the jewish cemetery.' Things get more and more hectic as more people die and more complications arise, and there is a very messy climax. Great fun.
on 19 January 2011
I went to see this movie after returning from my first visit to India and feeling very 'homesick'! It had me laughing throughout. It is a bit silly and bizarre in places, but overall is really entertaining, with a lovely feel-good ending! Relating to some of the Indian phrases/food/jokes, etc, I picked up on holiday there, made this film even more funny and personal! Would definitely recommend.
on 5 February 2011
Not a good film, I think I set my hopes too high because of some of the comedy names and actors in the film. But it was boring and very much B movie level. The 'special effects' and 'ghosts' make up look like they were made out of flour and water. The whole effect of the film? It had potential to be what it looks like on the cover, be in actual fact, its not very good!
on 28 December 2015
I liked this movie very much, even though I had not heard of it before I stumbled upon it on Amazon. It most probably did not have widespread popularity in Australia where I live, unlike Bend It Like Beckham which was popular in Australia; and which was also directed by Gurinder Chadha. It has an International romantic lead character in Sendhil Ramamurthy, who I had also seen in the American TV series “Heroes” and “Beauty and the Beast”. It also has several other well-known actors such as Mark Addy, Sanjeev Bhaskar and Zoe Wanamaker. I thought that the homage to “Carrie” in it was inspired and very funny. The very slight “horror” aspects in it slightly put me off, as every time Sanjeev Bhaskar’s insides kept sliding out through his stomach it made me cringe on its first viewing, even though I did get used to it on repeated viewings. It also comes with a “making of” featurette which sheds light on the making of this movie. Overall I liked it very much and have shown it to my friends and family.
on 4 March 2013
I read about this film online and thought it looked good so I boughton the off chance what I had read was true. It was! I really enjoyed the film, from the comedy to the romance. Good acting and funny story, wish there were more movies like this one!
on 3 May 2012
Shaun Of The Dead meets East Is East meets Ghost Town in this humourous comedy. If you enjoyed any or all of those movies, then this is definitely worth an hour and a half of your time.
on 27 September 2010
You keep waiting to laugh but it just never comes and I can usually watch just about anything. The trailers are much better!
on 23 November 2013
Unfunny, predictable, stereotypical drama about an attractive chap, who is inexplicably single who meets a pleasant but not too attractive woman and they end up together. It is set in Southall, Ealing and Denham, but characters refer to 'the temple' when gurdwara would have been used and would not have used the word 'the' as there are several gurdwaras in Southall (the large one in Havelock Road is shown). Having said all that my wife thought it was very good, so clearly it is a matter of taste.