on 16 July 2012
This software so far seems very good and if followed with plenty of practice should help you to play better. A word of warning though, on some computers the latency (the time between hitting the key and hearing the sound) is so bad that the software is unusable! This is NOT the fault of the software but is down to the version of Windows that you are using (especially Windows 7) and the configuration of your computer. For that reason it is better to use a keyboard that has its own loudspeakers and then there is no problem.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had hoped this was a better buy than the Piano for Dummies (PC/Mac), but all that is different is the box art. Here's my review for that title:

"Nice looking box, but there's only a disc and a piece of paper in it. I thought there'd be at least some sort of booklet to accompany the software, but no. Also you'll need to purchase midi cables or a midi-to-usb adaptor if you want to utilise the interactive parts of the program. They also aren't included in the box, but are not expensive to buy.
For an absolute beginner, this software is useful for finding your way around the keyboard and experience the fun of actually playing some recognisable songs, though if you're already comfortable with reading music you would be better looking elsewhere. Maybe even piano lessons..."

If you still think this is a good idea, go with the Dummies Guide, it's way cheaper.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been having singing lessons since late 2010 and as a result I've needed to brush up my knowledge of musicality and notation, so I thought that this, allied to my need to play an instrument, would be perfect. Like many 'Teach Yourself Music' CD ROMs/systems it's inherently flawed - maybe it's because I'm not a particularly diligent student? Who knows? The American notation aspect really annoyed me, but that's not the only problem as far as I'm concerned.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first impression upon receiving it is that this software is significantly overpackaged. A single disc in a paper sleeve packed inside a 2 inch wide cardboard box is unnecessary.

The product itself, however, is pretty good. This is the first time I've tried using software of this type and, having been rather sceptical about the concept, I've been pleasantly surprised. The software was simple, straightforward and quick to install and was ready to use within minutes of popping the disc in to my Mac.

The lesson plan seems (to a beginner like me) to be pretty comprehensive. There are over 300 individual lessons, subdivided into a series of chapters and there's a good deal to work through. I'm still in the early stages, as I only received the software a few days ago, but so far it seems clear and easy to use and I'm quite optimistic about the progress I'm making.

Trial versions can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website - so you can try before you buy.
on 11 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product will teach you the basics of music and how to read it and as it says will teach you overall how to play the piano. However whilst doing this in my opinion as a piano tutor you must be taught different songs as you progress and the fingering is very important. This program will not provide this exercise as it most definitely has a limited number of songs which it teaches you not allowing you to progress as quickly.

In my opinion this is a good program to teach you the very basics of how to play the piano but will teach you far more about music theory.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll be honest, this is not the first Piano Tutorial package I've tried. Whenever I approach a keyboard of any kind I start out good, then get nervous as I'm just waiting to screw up, then I crash and burn. Despite years of determination I've never been able to get good. I need the letters to be written on the keys, I've never been able to do it otherwise. And I always strike two notes instead of hitting just one. I blame my fat fingers.

I AM, however, very good at 'air piano'. Go figure!

There are plenty of lessons available in this package, but someone of my level needs them to be even more basic. It's classed as 'kids to adult', but when I look at musical notes my heart just sinks. I just can't get it! The production design of the entire product is kinda flimsy and simple. If it were more cohesive and thorough I'd probably be off to a better start. I'll stick with it for a little while longer though. If I improve it's entirely because of eMedia. If I don't, it's just my lack of talent.

Well, back to mashing the keys for me...
VINE VOICEon 13 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was very easy to put onto the computer and very easy to use. I am an older learning and found it easy and simple to follow. Think it would be good for a wide range of age groups.
on 25 May 2011
review image review image review image
on 19 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not going to pretend that I ordered this piece of software for a child - I ordered it for myself. I bought a decent quality digital piano around three or so months back - one which has the full 88 key keyboard - and installed and ran this tutor. I can't afford £30-a-pop for piano tuition, so I was hoping this would be a good low-price alternative.

And it is! Containing over 300 lessons, the tutor allows you to learn at your own pace, monitoring your progress as you play and advising when you're playing incorrectly. It begins with the easy stuff and gradually teaches you slightly more advanced techniques, and because everything is displayed on-screen it's easy to sit and watch as you play your keyboard.

I can now play with both hands (but not particularly rhythmically yet - and only on easy tunes - but it is a start). Watch out for me at the Royal Albert Hall in 2015!

I don't want to do piano teachers out of a job, but this is very definitely recommended to beginners of all ages, and even to those who have already received some tuition on a one-to-one basis.
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an interesting idea and the prospect of being able to teach yourself to play piano in your own time, at your own pace, and without needing to find a tutor is certainly tempting. However, for me I found it didn't quite do the trick. I am an adult learner of piano (I have just started having both piano and music theory lessons) and I started using this software, and then found myself a tutor. I have made much better progress with the tutor so for me personally and my learning style, a tutor is better than this software. However, that might be just me and I do not want to be unfair to the software which is certainly well-designed. The layout is clear and easy to use, with a good balance of text and explanations, video and audio files. Concepts are introduced slowly which gives one time to assimilate and understand them. It's worth a try if you are the sort of learner who prefers to do things on your own.