Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 March 2010
This is the second film based on the books by Stephanie Meyer - New Moon - and it is definitely the Team Jacob film with Edward and the Cullen's appearing significantly less in this film than in the previous ones.

Continuing on where the first film ended follows the romantic entanglements of Bella Swan with vampire Edward Cullen. This film features more of Bella's relationship with local boy and childhood friend Jacob Black.

Once again I have to confess that I came to the film without reading the book, in fact I watched Twilight and New Moon back to back in the hopes that it would help me understand what was going on. I have just finished Twilight and am about to start New Moon (the book) - Twilight having filled in so many gaps which the first film left me with I hope the New Moon will do the same.

For example: I don't understand is why Jasper would kick off at a drop of blood when at the end of the first film pints were gushing from a severed artery and it had no effect what so ever - but I'm new to this series and from what I see I'm sure that someone from the great fan community will be able to explain the why.

This is one of those times when it is extremely important you read the book in order to understand the characters and their backgrounds. So much is left out that for those, like me, who came to the series with no knowledge of the background the films can seem disjointed. Once the books have been consumed the whole story becomes clearer, therefore, I recommend to anyone who has not already read the books that you do so - it makes the films much, much clearer.

I have to admit that I'm with the people who are questioning the change of Director between films - and it wasn't just the association with Twilight as I always question a change of director in a series of films. One thing Chris Weitz did was bring out the best in Kirsten Stewart (Bella) and Taylor Lautner (Jacob). Miss Stewart finally came across as something other than the vacuous, sulky teenage brat and was able to portray the deeper desire and obsession with Edward that was missing from the first film. Unfortunately for Mr Lautner his part in the first film was minimal and did not show off his great acting talent.

Michael Sheen is superbly (and charmingly) creepy as the head of the elite Italian vampire family.

I thank the people at Amazon for getting this out to me for Saturday before the official release at midnight on Sunday; I've spent the last 36 hours watching the film, film with commentary (how about commentary from the actors next time - note to Mr Weitz: keep your hands off other people's burgers)

This was a great follow up to Twilight and I look forward to reading the next book and watching the next film.

--- for information ----

Language options - English only
Subtitles - English only
Running Time - 127 minutes
on 26 July 2017
I love the twilight saga, don't think this is my favourite of the 5 movies hence I've not given 5 stars.
on 5 June 2015
I absolutely love this the twilight saga new moon it contains a few collectable treasures to good for kids to mess around with.a must for any twilight fan im very happy with it worth every penny absolutely beautiful :-)
on 11 June 2017
good but it felt like it connects the first with the third
on 13 May 2017