on 27 July 2013
Most people buy this game thinking it's going to be another Grand Theft Auto type game- it's not. LA Noire is all about being a detective and working for the LAPD. Anyone who complains about the lack of shooting, flying, free roaming (etc...) obviously have bought the wrong game, because this isn't that. So before buying this game, make sure you know what you're buying because it is very different to Grand Theft Auto.

Now that that's out of the way, LA Noire is a unique game with good graphics and I admire Rockstar for introducing new technology to their game. Every single case is different and the variety in them certainly keeps me amused. I enjoy being able to inspect a crime scene and use the information given to be able to interrogate people who may have been involved. I love how you can use clues against people and can choose whether or not they are telling the truth (even though at times it does get very difficult).

Although I have never felt the need to free roam in this as much as other open world games (purely because the storyline is too intense), the map is of good size and I love the fact that it is set in 1940's Hollywood as the cars and buildings are fascinating.

Driving could be slightly more realistic and perhaps a longer story would have been better (along with a much needed multiplayer in my opinion), however the above have clearly not been big enough issues to change my mind about what a brilliant game this is. On saying that, one of my main issues is the ending; not just the last mission, but certainly the last few missions building up to it. I will not spoil it for those who have not played it, however I found the ending quite disappointing and I felt as though it could've have ended much better and with much more effect.

Nevertheless, I am so glad that Rockstar have produced a work of art like this and I hope to see more games like it in the future.
One person found this helpful
on 22 May 2013
L.A Noire is a unique and amazing gaming experience. I struggle to find games that hold my interest, and I find most xbox games are typically shooters. This, however, is a breath of fresh air. It's about 70% detective work (finding clues, doing interviews and tailing cars) and 30% action to break it up. It has free roam where you can drive round, discover landmarks, respond to dispatch calls and push pedestrians over. Always amusing. The cases hold your interest and it is visually stunning, especially in HD. The whole game is brilliant, and completely unique. Also, Cole Phelps is sexy.
So to conclude, if you like playing detective and solving gritty cases and driving round in 1940's cars, get this game!
One person found this helpful
on 9 May 2012
This is an unusual review. Because I wish i could judge it on what it is, rather than a game. If i judged it based on its accomplishments and contribution to gaming - 10/10. Its great that Team bondi are branching out into a sector which demands the player think and focus. Its a successful combination.

however, i do have to review it as a game - and it fails on many aspects apart from its starring "gimmick". The combat is poor - very very poor, (GTA poor), and the driving and "investigations" are dead boring.

The game is just so slow sometimes, that it paces itself a bit too much and makes me lose interest. I wish it didn't, but it just does. I love the 40s 50s era because its so classy, and its a great choice, but I was expecting much more.

That said, you have to play it to see the realness of the character's faces.
on 4 October 2016
A great interactiv movie, but as game it is not so great. The actors, the story, the sounddesign is really great, The facial animations are stunning. But the gameplay (shooting, driving) isn't as polished. The openworld is nice looking, but a little bit lifeless and useless. I think the game would work better without the openworld. But that is my opinion. Don't expect an GTA in LA of the 40s.
on 2 October 2015
Good fun, travelling around as a cop solving murders. Having to drive the car was the funniest thing I have ever done and requires more skill than I have to keep it off the pavements. Still, the running pedestrians made it funny and mowing down streetlamps is quite satisfying. The game is good, different and requires no especial skills, which is great for a 54 year old woman.
on 17 January 2013
I picked up this game as a "spur of the moment" thing as I'd gotten bored of many of my other games. I'd seen some of the footage of the amazing facial animation, the dialogue and the general idea behind the game and sat there thinking "alright, I'll give it a go.". Afterall, if worst comes to worst I could always trade it in for another game or get a refund, I thought.

Wow. Just wow. The graphics are incredible. The voice acting (using a huge cast of well-known actors) is absolutely sublime. The facial features are damned realistic for a game to the point you genuinely start to feel like a super-sleuth before the end, able to read even the slightest twitch of a person's mouth or the slightest hint of a glare. It's a wonderful break from constant shooting, hacking, slashing and general anarchy that goes on with many other games (I'm looking at you , Call of Duty!). The interrogation processes are beautifully done too - constantly forcing you to look beyond what a person is saying to try and dig for the truth and the consequences if things go wrong. The story line is superb and covers several people who all converge into the same story with enough intrigue to feel absolutely amazing. In one case file, going from one murder case to the other, knowing that something is wrong but you have no choice but to arrest the wrong guy as you keep clutching straws over the identity of the real culprit - magnificent.

But it does have downsides. The shooting/fighting action is stiff, slow and sometimes tedious. However, expecting L.A. Noire to be excellent at high-action gameplay is like asking One Direction to grow some facial hair - you're looking in the wrong place and expecting the wrong things. The evidence finding process is perhaps not as in-depth as I would have liked. I like games like CSI for the fact that you have to scrutinise your environment for evidence - and even then, it doesn't mean you've found everything. With L.A. Noire, you're basically just walking around until the controller vibrates and then twisting some evidence until it reveals itself. The driving as well is a little weak, but those faults together don't do enough to ruin the quality of the gameplay.

Let's be honest, if you want a high-intensity action game, a beautiful stealth game or anything like that, you're in the wrong place horribly. If you're looking for a far more cerebral game with far more to character interaction than any other game in the market right now - this is the one for you.
on 2 October 2014
This game looks pretty nice, the dialogue is snappy, and the cases are quite interesting, but I struggled to give it even 3 stars.
The gameplay is, in my opinion, clumsy. At times, you are forced to repeat interactions ad nauseum, saving is a bit awkward, and don't even get me started on driving!
I haven't completed the game and unless we have a long wet winter I don't suppose I shall.
on 27 February 2013
I bought this a while ago now and still haven't completed it, mainly because it can get a bit samey, but that said it's a great bit of escapism, and if you get stuck on the chases etc you can skip them as they are not integral to the game. Pretty much something for everyone though, driving, chasing, shooting and looking for clues as well as interviewing people and making decisions about whether they are telling the truth or not.
on 9 May 2014
Not game enough to be exciting and not puzzle enough to be taxing. Laid back investigations, bit 'good guy in vice city'. Too much pat on the back praise yourself blah blah for me. Loads of film clips between stages. Got to disc 2 by day 2 still yawning.

Supplier gets 5 stars as arrived brand new & on time
on 24 April 2013
Really enjoyed this game. Was worried with all the forums of this game saying crashes and overheats your xbox but no issues, completed game in full and didnt crash once. Good story and well made and not just violence for the sake of it like GTA games from Rockstar. Cut scenes do have a lot of swearing so keep you kids away..