Customer reviews

Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation 3|Change

on 22 July 2014
Having read a recent interview with one of the game designers from this game's developer YAGER and the statement, that the low and disappointing sales of the game would prohibit YAGER from ever even considering a sequel compel me to write this review more than two years after the game's release.
Spec Ops – the Line is a 3rd person anti-war shooter with plenty of style and action that in fact managed to impress me in ways that only the Metal Gear series had before, and that in itself is a huge compliment. The game's storyline is absolute powerful, haunting and deeply meaningful, the whole tone/vibration of the setting in postapocalyptic Dubai is groundbreakingly executed. Both the visual/artistic style and art and the sound/music pull the player deep inside the terrible events the game portrays. The game as well as it's characters feel absolutely genuine and real and I have rarely found playing a game as impactful as having completed Spec Ops – The Line multiple times. While many critics and players critisized some of the rather „casual“ gameplay mechanics I on the contrary found that very aspect of not having to study the control scheme that extensively to be rather accessible and polished. I am a hardore gamer and by no means a casual gamer by the way, but I believe gameplay should be accesible without multiple hours of getting into it.
Summing it up and referencing aspects of the aforementioned interview with one of the game's producers obviously video gamers seem to prefer simple and in fact rather idiotic stories that add nothing to the gameplay experience itself because they are rather perceived as a waste of time anyway. I know I will always love and cherish this game and measure future games to its standard just because it broke the conventional formula as well as the fourth wall and held a mirror to my face as a videogamer: it made me think about myself and my actions within the game's context and it showed me the ugly side of war and human conflict without lecturing me or providing easy answers for me to swallow. I am proud to own this game and very few games can claim to have a similar impact on a player willing to not just be entertained by a game but to actually get a meaningful experience out of playing it. Thanks YAGER, I guess in the future that aspect of videogaming will have to be handled by Kojima productions and their intensely genius Metal Gear series that explores similar aspects of the human cost of war alone...
on 16 June 2013
This is an awesome games that has been a great game for me to play as I have had about 6 months away from gaming. In the opening 20-30 minutes there is little to differentiate it from other generic shooters, but give it patience and you will be rewarded with a cracking story line. My only gripe is that the camera control is a little schlonky and could be improved (such as in the outstanding GTA4). I found that the action is a little OTT at times but the storyline is a deep and interesting narrative that borrows heavily from Apocalypse Now and Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. This is a refreshing change from the balls-out shooters that have been churned out from Activision and I wouldn't mind playing this game again in a few months time.
on 17 December 2015
I'm no longer a huge gamer, and rarely play games for more than a couple of hours before losing interest but I absolutely had to see this one to the end, then replay it again doing things differently.
Starts off like a bog-standard war game but soon becomes far more engaging and immersive than your standard blast-through-the-levels affair.
Forces your hand, making you act on impulse, then live with the consequences.
Impressive gameplay centered around controlling a small team, and giving orders with a couple of basic tactics that are suited to different scenarios.
Wish more games were this engaging and thought provoking.
on 5 March 2013
Just played through this one and I gotta say its an interesting take on the third person shooter. Gameplay consists mostly of killing enemies, with some variation, i.e mounting heavy machineguns, grenade launchers etc. And there is a gameplay segment involving white phosphorous.....

Controls, feel of the weopons and all that is good. If you take away the story you would have an little above avarage 3rd person shooter. But the story gives everything another layer so to speak. The game have a bit eerie and Apocalypse now like atmsophere.

Havent tried the multiplayer much, seems to be quite generic but OK.

If you want to play a third person shooter with a very high body count and an interesting story on top of that, this game is for you.
on 23 July 2016
AMAZING story (complicated at times but still), good gameplay.
on 16 March 2014
Just buy it, this game is not what it seems. Oh, you thought this game would be like that? Well, it isn't. BUY THIS GAME. I was absolutely shocked by the surprise it gave me. Cheaper then a Freddo and is on Par with most of the more popular games. Great story. Argh, I'm going to be quiet so you just buy it. Enjoy!
on 13 June 2013
Brilliant. However this game is NOT meant to be fun, It's Harsh and Brutal story is reflected through a fantastic script and becomes so immersive that opportunities arise where you must decide What the right thing to do and the better thing to do.
on 8 July 2015