on 21 March 2014
I love Tony - don't get me wrong. I read Kitchen Confidential and laughed like a drain. I cried reading the chapter about looking for his father in France - while I was at the place in the book. But Tony Tony Tony - what is this? Even the swearing seems tacked on. We love the bitter cynic. We loved that you appeared to want to napalm Mario. This is, is well no spoilers but it's Kitchen Confidential from 15 years away. Minus a lot of humour and with lots of grovelling and name dropping. It was hard to read Tony - I nearly gave up. Still love you but can the next one be more Tony and less TV presenter lovey? Please?
One person found this helpful
on 3 November 2015
Bourdain is not always to everyone's tastes, but he and his shows were an almost constant companion on my own time overseas, and I enjoy his outlook on food. His voice develops with his shows, and he has a deep appreciation of food, and what it represents to different people and cultures. This book reveals more of Bourdain's past, parts that I was not familiar with, and it is interesting to see how he arrived at where he is today. It does have sections that are him lambasting others, and getting the last laugh, which I didn't enjoy as much as the rest of it. If you like Bourdain, and don't mind some strong language, then you'll enjoy this.
on 7 January 2011
If you like this guy don't miss his latest book. My husband and I are hooked on everything he does - he's a bit edgy, treads paths others don't and, for me of course, he is simply gorgeous! This opens with quite a bit about his interesting personal life......but, I'm not going to spoil it for you. Buy and enjoy!
on 27 March 2018
Could not get enough of this book. Bring me more Anthony Bourdain please.
on 12 June 2014
If you enjoyed Kitchen Confidential you'll enjoy this. A slightly more nature Bourdain reflects on a foodie world of fine dining, food TV and life as a minor celeb. Loses a star for the references to chefs who are unknown in the UK so some of the references were lost on me.
on 22 October 2013
i bought it for my husband so cant say much apart from my husband loved it and would recommend to all
on 4 February 2015
A.1.
on 10 January 2014
You are only going to read this if you have read the original kitchen confidential, therefore reader will know what to expect.
I did enjoy the additional after notes scribbled in the margins
on 19 September 2014
Intelligently scabrous !
on 27 September 2013
I am very pleased with my purchase. It was delivered promptly as always and I have all of the other chef related books by this author and so I know I will enjoy reading it.