on 4 October 2010
I got one of these (OCZ Vertex 2 120GB) for my 15" Macbook Pro, to replace a 7200 RPM Seagate drive. The difference is performance is remarkable, particularly application startup, Photoshop CS4 and MS Office are snappy, and XP on VMware Fusion is no longer thrashing my system.

xbench reporting the following for the OCZ Vertex:

Uncached Write 1254.45 132.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 411.11 131.61 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2207.93 15.65 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 859.00 159.39 MB/sec [256K blocks

To compare, the original Hitachi 5400 that the Macbook originally came with, scored the following:

Disk Test 33.74

Uncached Write 11.66 1.23 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 162.06 51.88 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 86.17 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 147.50 27.37 MB/sec [256K blocks
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2011
We all know SSDs don't offer the best £/space ratios but they are fast. This is no expection. I have been using this as my boot + application drive for a while now and it's refreshingly fast. You can look up the performance benchmarks on the internet, but in real terms it feels like when you upgrade a PC from having 1GB of memory to 4GB. Everything is more responsive and games load super fast.

For all those wondering, this gave me (a year ago) a windows experience rating for my "disk transfer rate" of 7.4 - impressive, especially when my 18 month old Seagate Raptor was a 5.4! But since then, it's score has actually dropped to 6.9. The way this rating system works is that the maximum possible score actually increases as time goes on to allow for faster hardware hitting the market. So an individual score should remain constant. For example, My CPU scores 7.6, which was the maximum when I bought it, and even though at time of writing, the current maximum is 7.9, my CPU score is still 7.6. So an individual score never changes even as better components are released, they just increase the maximum and the latest and greatest hardware gets higher scores.

So the fact that the score for this drive has declined this much leads me to believe that the performance is dropping significantly over time. And yes, I have tested repeatedly, under different conditions.

Despite that I've been really happy with the drive, and it's still super fast, I'm just not expecting it to last as long as a HDD, which is air enough given the comparable immaturity of SSD technology.

The drive itself is thesize of a laptop drive - 2.5 inch, so smaller than a regular desktop drive BUT it comes with a tray which you can use to fit it into a standard desktop 3.5 inch drive bay. It didn't work for me because of my case configuration as the tray didn't offer the screw holes I needed. But it should fit most PC cases. For those interested, I used the "mounting tray" that came with my Western Digital VelociRaptor (search for "ssd tray" or "wd velociraptor" for an example).

Overall I've been happy with the product, and when I bought it the price/performance/storage factors were great.
on 21 June 2011
In a technological world where new items come out every day, it's never easy to decide upon what to buy of a specific type (or at least when you're me and everything is thoroughly researched before purchase). After much deliberation, I decided upon this particular SSD.

I must say, I am very impressed with the performance of the drive; installing Windows 7 was a lot quicker than my laptop was (which I had installed recently) and the update speeds followed suit. Programs that are loaded on to this drive load with even greater speed than ever before, though I regret that my games and Steam collection are not installed on this drive.

With a variety of applications such as Visual Studio 2010, Adobe CS3 and Office 2003 and many others installed, I still have 27GB free on the drive. Just make sure when you buy this drive, or any other for that matter, that you make the relevant tweaks (TRIM, hibernation off, indexing off etc.)

With regards to this specific drive from OCZ, it came with a mounting plate, which is very useful; DON'T buy one separately! The item was received quickly, packaged sufficiently and no problems are to be found with the drive. OCZ are a very trustworthy brand, and based on price / performance, you wouldn't do wrong purchasing this drive over others.
on 11 December 2010
HI Guys/Grils,

Sorry but this going to be a lenghy review as I think this SSD justifies it.

Last week one of raptor drives I had in a RAID0 array popped and it was finally time for me to upgrade to an SSD. I ordered this drive on Friday 3/12 and in the mean time done a fresh install of Win7 64bit Ultimate onto a normal 7200rpm hdd. I timed this drive at booting up in 1 minute and 3 secs including POST (windows boots in about 43 seconds).

This SSD arrived on Thursday 9/12 which I was more than happy with, I installed this SSD as my main boot drive, then set my BIOS into AHCI mode and installed Win7 64bit onto it.

First things first, installing Win7 was straight forward and quick, I had completed the install in about 20 minutes. I then installed the main apps that I use on a daily basis (Microsoft Security Essentials AV, Firefox, SabNZB, Winrar, UTorrent, WinAmp). I then timed the bootup again and this time a complete boot up including POST took 1min 4 secs lol. I benchmarked the drive using ATTO Disk Benchmark and was getting write speeds of around 245mb/s and read speeds around 275 mb/s, so I realised the problem wasnt with the SSD. With a bit of investigation I discovered the problem was with Win7 drivers that were automatically installed for my motherboard chipset. I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them and then timed the bootup again, this time the machine completed boot including POST in 36 secs, Win7 booted in 16 seconds.

I am well impressed with this drive as most things I do now are snappier and quicker.

The size of this drive is not an issue at the sec as even with CoD Black Ops installed, I still have 26 gb free, and after xmas I will be purchasing a 2nd of these drives to put into a RAID0 array, which should give me around 110 gb in total, which is ample for my needs.

I highly reccomend this SSD and was more than happy with the service I received from AVIDES.

I will update this mini review again after I have had this for a month or so to show if there was any degradation in performance.
1515 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2011
I got one, it didn't work - Amazon were excellent and sent a new one. The second worked for about half a day and stopped working. Both of them just would not show up on the bus to format. I've been working with computers for 20 years have never seen anything like it.
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2011
If you are looking for a cost-effective performance upgrade for your PC, this could be it. I have gained more from this upgrade than anything else. Not only is my laptop now silent (no HDD noise), it's cooler and WAY faster.

SSD drives have truly come of age, and this one is a great choice. It's got the SandForce SF-1222 which is right up there in performance terms, beating even the mighty Intel SSD drives.

The drive also supports the TRIM command, which if you are running Windows 7, means that the disk is always in top-notch condition and does not suffer performance degradation over time (which other SSD drives without TRIM can suffer from).
on 13 September 2011
Being a relative novice at hardware upgrades, I opened my PC up with some trepidation to install the OCZ drive.

I needn't have worried - the drive slots in really quickly with the supplied bracket and plugging it in was simple (my motherboard supports SATA rather than SATA II, but this wasn't an issue).

My PC recognised the drive straight away and I was able to install Windows with the minimum of fuss.

It makes a great difference in boot up time (roughly half what it was before) and when opening programmes - I've only tried the basics so far, but iTunes loads in around 2 seconds (it was closer to 20 before) and any Office program appears instantly.

I'm therefore very satisfied and happy to recommend it to anybody to use as a system disk - when the price comes down on the larger sizes I will be upgrading my storage drive too and will definitely consider OCZ.
on 14 September 2011
I purchased a solid state drive after being informed by my son, that this is a new technology he informed me that it would make my computer run at least 10 times faster. I done some research and the ocz vertex seemed to stand out from the rest I use a program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking for dictating so I compared my internal seven 200 hard drive against a solid state hard drive. The solid state hard drive increased performance by 70% this is shown in how quick the dictation took from when I spoke to when it was printed on the screen. So really what I'm saying if you are going to invest in a hard drive there is no comparison a solid state hard drive is no way to go out of this has been a help.
on 10 June 2011
The actual product is as good as others have pointed out, it makes being on the PC a lot less of a bind, it used to take iTunes about 30 secs to load but now loads in 3. Just a couple of things to note, when I bought this it shows a 'buy these together' with a 3.5" adaptor bracket which I did, but the product includes one already. Also when bought through Amazon Prime it was delivered by our regular postman so no need to bother about missing a parcel delivery (I think that's why it says may take a couple of days extra).
on 25 January 2011
Bought this to replace a 500GB HDD in a mid-2009 13inch Macbook Pro. Moved all my video, TV shows and other large files to a 500GB external, left with 60GB system plus home folder. New drive installed easily, cloned the system over. With an SSD you are paying for increased performance in boot time and reading writing of files, initially boot time was not much better but opening apps and files was lightening fast. Eventually, after some research, I found that in system preferences you need to specify the new drive as the start up disk, when the old HDD was removed the system was having to search for the start up drive upon booting hence slow boot times. After I specified the SSD as the boot drive, boot time is 10 seconds to login. That's the sort of performance I paid for. Haven't noticed much difference in battery life or heat, although the laptop is now absolutely silent, no HDD spinning or platters searching. Is it worth it ? If you have the money, yes, definitely.