on 27 December 2011
Good points:

Magimix do everything in one package and quickly with no fiddly or time consuming attachments to worry about that invalidate the whole point of using a food processer in the first place. SPEED OF USE. Why anyone would take a minute of two to burrow through cupboards and assemble fiddly attachments when that time could be spent chopping a single onion on a board is beyond me (unless you are arthritic or for some other good reason). These attachments come in a box.

They also cope with cake and bread preparation every bit as well as a kitchen machine does - although I do think some hand kneading is required after bread dough is removed from the bowl to get good results because the MM tends to gather and glue the mix together rather than knead it properly to activate the glutin. Think of the calories you'll burn doing the rest by hand.

The egg white and cream whisking blades aare perfectly fine with enough air incorporated to be fit for purpose. It may take a tad longer than a kitchen machine would though.

The smallest bowl is ideal for making mayonnaise, particularly if you use the non-standard oil drip feed tub pusher instead of dripping it from a jug into the open feed tube, which can take the best part of 10-15 minutes, and this can be tiring on the arms. Fast addition of oil just makes mayo go too runny and greasy tasting. So it's a slow job greatly assisted by this little gadget.

The larger XL feed tube is ideal for dropping whole veg, like pototoes, provided that you feel it is essential to use whole sliced spuds instead of pre-halved tube fed sliced potatoes, which is more than adequate for potato dishes requiring sliced potatoes, I find. For those wondering whether the XL model is worth the additional expense over the standard feed tube equivalent, ask yourself this: does anyone really examine how potatoes are sliced underneath the neat whole spud sliced top layer if you've just presented them with Potato Dauphinoise I doubt it. They're too busy tucking in to care. For top layer whole spuds, use small potatoes that will fit in the standard tub, don't spend extra on the XL model unless you really need to.

These are fantastic machines and stable when in use without being too heavy to shift around. The power cord is long enough to move the machine if you normally store it under low hanging cupboards.

Not so good:

The large bowl can get food soiled from smallest bowl overspill. But a quick dunk under the tap sorts that out.

The bowls will go cloudy if you clean them with abrasive clothes or harsh dish washing machine detergents. Best to wipe them by hand with washing up liquid dunked soft cloth and warm water. They are too pricey to replace too often.

Magimix don't come with an ice cream maker, potato peeler attachment, pasta cutter and blender attachments, like some of the top of the range the Kitchen Machines do. But in my view, sausage making is an art and buying good quality bangers is probably better than shoving a pile of pork mince and chopped sage into sausage casings and they probably taste as bad as they sound; My italian friends swear by good quality dried pasta to fresh pasta; and do you want to eat near liquid ice cream instead of firmer textured bought in premium varieties that add essential stabilisers to keep it from crystalising? Do you want to get fat as well or take up precious freezer space icing your bowl for hours on end? Frankly, I doubt that these extra attachments add more to your quality culinary repertoire than they do to your waistline.

The smallest bowl is not that good for chopping very tiny quantities: a garlic clove, a sprig of herbs, a handful of nuts. You need a more sizeable quantity to get it to work well otherwise they just get chased around the bowl. But, hey! Do you really want to use a machine to chop up such tiny quantities? By the time you've fished out the small bowl, got out the small blade from the attachment box and assembled it all, you could have chopped a single onion or a few parsley leaves on a chopping board.

Some tops of veg and final bits of cheese can get caught up in the disks and left unprocessed once you've finished pushing it through the feed tube. But this is a minor inconvenience, and the unprocessed bits can bagged up and given to the pet rabbit or dropped into soup mixes (or bagged up for cheese on toast or re-processing later on). Not worth making a fuss about unless you're a perfectionist.
on 10 February 2011
Unfortunately I have a small kitchen. This means I have to put my Magimix 5200 away between uses and as it is a heavy beast, this works against it.
This is my only complaint. It's brilliant otherwise- strong, quiet (compared to other food processors but not compared to say, the cat), good accessories, easy to clean, capacity (it's huge-no need for batches of soup), quality durable materials.
Perhaps this model wouldn't be ideal if you were always going to live with a small kitchen but ideal if you could keep it on the bench top. I wouldn't recommend a smaller model if you can avoid it.
77 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2011
This is the third Magimix food processer I have owned over the years. I love them for their reliabiliy, durability and efficiency. My last one had done eight hard years, and this is the most recent version of this model. It has a large capacity, and the smaller bowl is excellent for chopping small amounts of for example, herbs, nuts or garlic. I am delighted with it overall.

It is however taller than its predecessor, and only just fits under the wall cupboards on my worktop. Another half-inch and it would have been difficult to fit in. The new wider feed slot (not shown in the photo) is brilliant for slicing things like cabbage for coleslaw or potatoes for scalloped potatoes. However, this makes the handle of the lid bulky to remove, and difficult to do single handed.

This model also has a better selection of accessories - the previous model had several which cluttered up my drawers and were never used. One of these is a parmesan grating disk which is brilliant. Another is a gadget which sits inside the bowl for processing things like soup - it pushes the liquid back down into the bowl and makes it much more efficient. It's a shame, though that the new accessories box, although better designed than its predecessor, only has room to hold three of the four disks supplied.

If you want a really hard-working, reliable, durable professional quality food processor which copes with large quantities of mixture, this is the one to go for. It's really worth the high cost.
on 8 February 2013
the original magimix grand famille at least 20 years old still works perfectly. i upgraded it to a later model and had to replace blade and spindle twice. decided to buy the latest thinking with all of the bad feedback i had read that they might have put some thought into up grading the quality of plastic used not a bit of it. I have had it for 6 months and here we go again. i have returned it to amazon and purchased a cuisinart which seems a much sturdier piece of equipment.
on 15 September 2013
Originally I left a good review for this item but time has led to wisdom and I am now very disappointed in this Magimix. In fact I only use it for making things that use the 'rubbing in' process then after the fat is rubbed in I find it more successful to place the flour/fat mix into a bowl and manually add in the liquid if used.

In hindsight I would have been better spending my money on a new Kenwood Major, their shredding and citrus attatchments which would not have been much more costly and are a lot more efficient + have the option of later purchasing more attatchments. The Magimix Citrus Press is not as efficient and more difficult to fit than the Kenwood one. The slicer shredder unit for the Kenwood is less wasteful and when processing large amounts like when making coleslaw or preparing vegetables for preserving does not need continually emptying as the Magimix does as it has a continual exit for the shredded/grated food.

Cleaning of the unit is not as easy either as it has right angles and narrow crevices that are difficult to get 100% clean. Also if put on the top shelf of the dishwasher the base as a 1" lip which needs to be manually emptied as soon as the programme is ended as it not only collects water but debris as well.

As far as chopping nuts I find it useless, chopping onions with the main blades either very uneven or a pulp if left to get rid of the large pieces amongst the finer slices and not worth trying to blend soup etc as unless a very, very small amount leaks. It goes under the blades, upwards and then down the gap around the motorised 'pin' and out under the bowl then over the machine base .....

My gripe with the Magimix is when using the smaller bowl inside the larger one is they all get dirty and all 3 bowls have to be washed.

I have given this Magimix a really good trial before writing this report and it is honest opinion it does not live up to my expectations. I did have a very old model before which worked better but still had cleaning problems so I was prepared for those but this new model read as if it was much superior and was not.

I have since replaced my old Kenwood and it has only convinced me more that I wasted my money on getting this Magimix processor.
33 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2011
This is the best food processor ever made .its not unknown for me to cook for 20 or even 30 people and this copes with just about everything. Don't waste your money on the cheaper ones .
on 10 January 2011
Yes it is expensive but as always you get what you pay for, I was not aware of the Magimix brand until I read about them in Jamie Olivers 30 minute meals book then went shopping for this but would definately buy other products manufactured by them, very robust, very powerful and does everything you''ll need.

Also comes with a great recipe book, I have used the pancake recipe from it which is amazing also. Highly recommended
on 8 September 2014
Love this mixer, bought it to replace my very old mixer which was slowly giving up. This one is very sturdy, chops more finely, has three different bowls (the little one is good for baby food, the big one is a good big size if you like entertaining etc and the medium one is for grating and does a good job). I was a bit chuffed to spot this model on the Great British Bake Off! My husband paled at the price (as did I really) but we bought it on a Warehouse deal which made is slightly better and once we'd seen it we felt pretty confident it will last a long time like the old one and be worth it. Minor downside - the big bowl fits over the spindle and so when you lift it off there is a risk of dropping whatever you've mixed down the hole but once you know about it it's not too hard to avoid and probably makes the spindle stronger (the old one's spindle was giving out). Definitely recommend. Think most people (e.g. a household of just two or whatever) would be fine with the smaller models but this one is lovely and big if you cook/entertain a lot.
on 22 June 2013
I did look at a lot of options before buying this, but I'm so glad I did. It's super quiet and never feels like its labouring. A lot of reviews have pointed out that it's a pain having to wash all three bowls if you only use the small one, and that is a niggle but it's not always an issue. Definitely recommended if you cook a lot.
on 31 August 2013
I am a serious cook. this replaced the twelve year old previous one that I had worn out. The large chute is a great addition. Value for price - yes because they last