Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

The Shell Seekers
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 29 September 2017
Like Coming Home, it is heart-warming novel, mainly focused on the family, love, longing and memories of England during the Second World War. The book is the type of book where you read to be entertained, and perhaps to search inside yourself, what to do want out of life? Have you worked hard enough to earn it? And what kind of effort did you make for love? Moving in places, but it's too descriptive, a little heavy, too detailed without it being necessary to, and not gripping enough or succinct enough like the great classical novels such as Hardy, Dickens or as human enough as Henry James or E.M. Foster, or the recent books I read by Paul Gallico - short, moving and succinct novels, which tell you much about humanity as this novel does, in a much light-hearted way. I think it can be much better written. I got bored with it a third way in, and pretty much skimmed read it to the end. I think in this sense, the film did a much better job even though the story was changed quite a bit, but was far more condensed and portrayed each of the characters clearly enough without so much long description. It's the kind of book that you read and forget about, you don't really learn anything deep by it, or acquire much knowledge about the war or life. Just an entertaining type of book, don't expect too much.
on 19 July 2017
This is a really heart warming story. The sort of book you want on a cold damp winter day while you are lying on the world's most comfortable sofa in front of a coal fire, with perhaps a large glass of wine. This is a story really well told, with characters that come to life and become people that you feel are almost family.
It is a very long read but that just adds to its worth.
There are books that I am happy to read on my kindle, that get filed away probably never to be seen again, and there are books that I really want to own in their physical form. This is one of those books, and I will keep it forever.
on 23 June 2017
Slow in places, but very soothing. Reading it for the second time as literary sedative. I find myself this time very jealous that the characters expect to have people to help them clean. This patch has also been a bit low energy and a cheerful cleaning lady is exactly what I need.
on 3 September 2017
I became quite absorbed by the characters in this book, but I must admit it was a bit of a slog through the middle. I think the publisher should have encouraged more cutting. In addition I found the main character unappealing in so many ways.
on 25 May 2017
Really good book couldn't put it down brilliant characters lots of background information on each character made it more interesting.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 September 2016
Read this year's ago but no longer have the book. Saw it on offer on kindle books and got it. So glad I did. A charming enchanting book, made perfect holiday reading.
on 14 June 2017
An amazing story of a young girl's life and family throughout the war years until she became an old lady. Penelope father was a prolific artist. Just how well known and valued was his work affects the whole family. A must read
on 28 August 2017
I loved this book, along with other books written by this Author.She has a way of writing that makes you feel you are involved in the story, and as always no swearing and a good clean script. A Joy,
on 8 May 2017
Having read most of her books now I would say this is the best. Everything is just right, a lovely story and evocative scenes inhabited by proper characters. A most enjoyable gentle read.
on 7 October 2017
A story that took me to the sun kissed
beaches and wildness of Cornwall. A beautiful story of love lost, interwoven with family dramas and lasting friendships. I have lived the book with each page turned and was sorry to say goodbye to all of the characters at the end. Beautifully written and a must for anyone looking for an escape from everyday trials & tribulations. I am looking forward to reading more books by this author.