on 16 December 2012
Difficult to put together as the instructions and picture were not right. I think the makers have changed the fittings and not updated the instructions. My husband put it together and he is good at DIY! I couldnt have done it. When we put logs on the fire it is easier to unclip the sides and slide the guard away as the top is not really made to unclip and lift up easily. I like the fact that it is black. As it was a wide guard it goes right round the whole fireplace and is also good for stopping our grandson falling/tripping on the hearth and he cant touch any of the things hanging in the fireplace(lots of clutter!). It cost around £25 so for value for money and once its put together it does the job.
on 4 November 2013
The perfect fire guard, Strong, stable and easy to assemble. A good price and very quick delivery. thank you very much
on 13 December 2011
We chose a black one as we have a black gas burner and it looks just the part. All you have to do to assemble it is to screw on the four retaining plates in the places specified in the instructions. At first I just put them where I thought and found that the top of the guard sagged in the middle. Once in place though it is totally immovable by a toddler, yet easily moved for cleaning, great to hang the stockings on at Xmas and altogether peace of mind when the fire is alight and children are around. The only thing I would say is that the side panels could have done with the extending feature as well, as to fit snugly around our hearth, they overlap the edges of the chimney breast by about 4 inches and the guard would have looked neater with an exact fit. But then perhaps there is a standard safety distance the guard has to be from the fire. If your hearth juts out by 45cm,(17.5 inches) it would be the exact fit, ours is 35cm (14 inches) but overall very happy with it.
on 27 December 2013
Lightweight steel frame and mesh but reasonably robust when built though the clips used are not engineered very well and need to be deeper as they tend to flip open particularly when loading more fuel onto the stove/fire through the hinged top frame. Extends easily to a good range of widths to suit most fireplaces/hearths and is tall enough to accommodate the largest stoves, BUT the side frames do not extend to allow depth adjustment therefore if you have a free standing stove mounted away from a back wall the side fixing clips require extending and then there is a gap in the side protection between the end of the side frame and the back wall. The fireguard MUST be securely fixed to a back wall to get maximum rigidity and prevent toppling over if a toddler holds onto the front frame to watch the fire~ as they do! The wall fixings supplied and the attachment clips are totally inadequate and let down what is an otherwise useful product. Folds down flat when not in use.
on 1 June 2011
Like the previous reviewer I needed a good, sturdy guard to fit around our larger than standard hearth. This fits the bill perfectly. It was nice and easy to set up (once the drilling was done for the securing rings) and feels very safe now it is attached to the wall. Our baby has 'tested' it by rattling the guard with some gusto and it doesn't move an inch. Very happy with this product, and have now ordered a second one.
on 28 October 2011
I really delayed getting a fireguard for as long as possible as we have quite a small living room and I imagined that a fireguard would be big and ugly and would take up a lot of our valuable space. This one, however, is remarkably unobtrusive when put together. We have a mahogany mantle with a cast iron insert and the fireguard, being black, fits in very well and is not at all ugly.
More importantly (!) it is very sturdy and well made. It is neat and fits on the fireplace very well. I also found it very simple to put together. You don't actually really have to put it together - you just have to unfold the two sections, then attach them together with strong screwed-together clips (technical term alert) once you have decided how wide it needs to be. Compared with putting about (it seems like 30) flat pack pieces of furniture together, this was a doddle.
on 4 June 2013
Does the job it's supposed to absolutely perfectly.
Instructions on how to put it together are a bit wrong but we worked it out (it's a fire guard, i know, it can't be that hard to put together. I'm refering to some clips that hold the top down....they don't fit very good - we've ended up not using them)
Looks a lot better than a thought it would do, much nicer than the copper coloured ones.
Was cheapest one (including delivery costs) i could find after searching online and is probably same quality as all the rest.
Delivery was quick and the lovely delivery man, who i missed when he called in the morning to deliver, came back later in the day - as he saw it was for the baby - instead of having me re-arrange a new date or drive miles to collect it from the depo.
on 8 May 2012
This makes up into a sturdy and efficient fireguard. It was the best one I found for the height as it will clear the gas fire whilst standing on the floor.
Unfortunately it has to be taken to pieces for storage as it doesn't fold flat when the two halves are joined together, but it's fairly straightforward to do. I fixed the securing hooks into the fire surround (rather than into the wall using the supplied small rawlplugs). Because it is fixed by hooks on chains there is still some movement which the grandsons enjoyed testing to the limit! It might be better to fasten the unit in a less flexible way, but this would need some extra parts.
All-in-all a good product for the price.
on 22 December 2013
Fire guard arrived yesterday and it does exactly what I wanted but a couple of niggles. 1. The instructions could be clearer with better diagrams, but you will work it out OK.. 2. My main gripe is that I chose this partly because of the colour as the black would complement my fire place. It however comes with Silver coloured bolts and wing nuts, a minor thing but it does spoil it slightly and I will replace them with black bolts myself. If the manufacturer reads this then please put black bolts in, it can't cost any more and would just finish it off better.
Do not let this put you off buying it as it is solid, sturdy and does the job. Also the price is very competitive
on 10 August 2013
Would recommend this product. Fits well with plenty of overlap on the 2 sections if further extension was required. Attached to the wall and clips on securely in case you do want to remove it. Little one has pulled on it a few times to test that she can't drag it off the wall and it has stood up to that test! There is a handy lift up section so the grown ups can still access the fire and hearth, not investigated by our little one, yet. Does exactly as we hoped it would and to be honest she has now lost interest in the hearth and is looking for trouble elsewhere around the room! We just need daddy to fit the safety gate in the doorway now then I think we are all set.