on 18 October 2009
If ever you needed a really good lift to your spirits, then this is the book to read. It is packed full of fun and frolics that can't help but cheer all but the most miserable of creatures.
Such is the mastery of Victoria Twead's writing, that not only can you be enthralled, but you can `see' and `feel' everything. Laugh with them and empathise when things go awry.
You would be sadly missing a damn good read if you bypass this magnificent book. I heartily recommend it. Not to mention it being a ruddy great plus, having Spanish regional dishes included.
A great laugh and cookery book all tied up in one gorgeous little parcel.
on 9 October 2014
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this whole series of books. Victoria Twead is an excellent writer who shares the experiences of herself and her husband who moved to a village house in Andalucia. Not only are the books hilarious they are also a fascinating read about life in a Spanish village in the mountains, the interesting local villagers who befriended them and the Twead's absorption into the local culture. I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions in often inappropriate places such as full hospital clinics and while travelling by air and sea. I hadn't realised that chickens had such interesting and funny characteristics and oddly find myself wanting to read more memoirs from those who keep chickens. I didn't want to finish any of the books and plan to read them all over again. I can't wait for more in the series, (no pressure Victoria :-) )
on 17 October 2009
What a pleasure this book was! I didn't really know what to expect but it had me laughing all along. At the beginning when they forgot Great Aunt Elsa and then knocked over the village fountain... LOL! I felt I was right there with them all the time and I loved it when they got their first chickens. I could feel the Spanish sun and the characters were just hysterical. I think this is even better than Driving Over Lemons, much funnier with better characters.
on 14 September 2014
Since I live in Spain I could relate to many of the happenings in this book. Sadly the pictures did not show up well on my paperwhite. The author's descriptions of the people who live in the village were humerous and quirky and you get a clear picture of where they live. I would have preferred to learn more about the renovations to the house, and I am still wondering where the mules are. That said, I did enjoy Victoria's style of writing, it's an easy to read book. Personally I would have preferred a longer story and fewer recipes.
on 19 November 2013
I enjoyed this funny tale of 2 British people relocating to a small Spanish village,complete with eccentric English people in the next village and some pretty eccentric Spanish ones in the village they moved to.It was a light read with plenty of humour and even some cute animals,some not so nice ones eg Jellyfish,and overall I enjoyed this light read in between some of the darker thrillers I mostly read,I would recommend it.
on 26 March 2017
Whilst this was amusing , it was also quite repetitive and at times it seemed quite random, as it is a series perhaps it gets stronger as it goes along. I won't be trying a second though.
on 17 August 2014
What a lovely opening book. Great tales, of life in an Andalucian village. Just as I imagined it would be having been going to Spain for over 25 years. Clearly lots of hard work, not just Veeky's writing but all the hard work in adjusting ti and dealing with the Spanish culture. Wonderfully written, a joy to read. Made me laugh out loud.
on 25 March 2017
This book brought a smile to my face each day as I picked up my IPAD to read it. We are seriously considering a move to Spain and this book has not hindered our thoughts. If we do go I will certainly try the recipes - an added bonus in the book
on 11 April 2016
A tale similar to "A year in Provence " by Peter Mayle. An enjoyable read about an English couple moving to Spain. Light reading. Uncomplicated story telling. I enjoyed the read so am reading the sequel.
on 29 October 2012
One of the few books that I will read again.. simply delightful and gives a good idea of what it would be like to move to Spain and live the village life.. how many of us have wondered.. if only ?? I loved the chickens and the characters in the village.It had its sad moments but on the whole a book to read if you need cheering up .