on 17 May 2012
This processor was recommended to me by the review site tomsharware.com, it has a vary high clock speed and is easily overclocked (Not recommended with the stock cooler). The processor itself runs cool even with the cooler in the box and I find it easily handles multitasking. I play a lot of games and find it to function fine and rarely get hot, you should be able to play all modern games on this with a good GPU. The cooler that comes with it is quite loud but functions well and if you wanted a better cooler would be quieter and allow overclocking.

Overall the Athlon II x3 455 has great performance for the price.
on 29 November 2012
I bought this processor for two reasons; firstly, my machine was a bit sluggish and I thought an upgrade from a 2100MHz Athlon 64 X2 to a 3300MHz Athlon II X3 would be worthwhile and secondly, I had 4GB of DDR_3 memory which required an X3 processor to work (the machine only had 1GB of DDR_2 which was a real bottleneck).
What can I say. It all works and yes, there is a big improvement. Even the increased power consumption from 65W to 95W isn't a problem; the provided heatsink and cooling fan seem perfectly okay (and not too noisy).
My Asrock motherboard allows for core unlocking and using this function converted the processor to an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 (Quad Core) which appeared perfectly stable except for one very annoying problem. When I sent the pc into hibernation and then tried to restart it I got the "Blue Screen" which produced a load of gibberish and a comment that there had been a hardware error. I think the BIOS forgets(?) how many cores there are! Normal shut down and start-up, no problem.
Anyway, I'm quite happy with the original three cores but, it's nice to know there's a fourth if I really need it.
A good buy? I guess so. My pc now runs much faster with 4GB RAM to boot. Start-up now only takes about 25 seconds and shut-down is considerably faster. Mind you, the total cost with the memory upgrade was over £80 and it wouldn't have been worth the effort without it.
on 7 August 2014
Bought this item to replace an ageing Sempron 145 processor in order to be able to play the soon to be released Elite Dangerous. This was the fastest processor I could source that my motherboard was compatible with ( I didn't want to go through the expense and hassle of upgrading my motherboard at this time), and although the recommended specs for ED were for a Quad Core processor this Triple Core combined with a graphics card upgrade have been able to cope with the beta admirably. Installation was a simple swap, and my PC was up and running again in less than 10 minutes.
on 11 December 2012
It was an interesting result for the AMD Athlon II X3 455 when compared to the AMD Athlon II X4 645. The AMD Athlon II X3 455 is 32% cheaper than the AMD Athlon II X4 645 and we wanted to find out if the AMD Athlon II X4 645 was worth the money. The Power Requirement for the AMD Athlon II X3 455 is 22% less than the AMD Athlon II X4 645 at Idle and 8% at Load so in that respect the AMD Athlon II X3 455 is cheaper to run. For General Use the AMD Athlon II X4 645 is 8% faster than the AMD Athlon II X3 455. For Games Use the AMD Athlon II X4 645 is 6% faster than the AMD Athlon II X3 455. The problem for the AMD Athlon II X4 645 is the price which is 32% more than the AMD Athlon II X3 455 which is why the winner of this review is the AMD Athlon II X3 455 which is a bargain. We should also mention that some AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processors can be unlocked into AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processors which will give you a huge speed boost. For more interesting reviews please visit [...]
on 17 December 2012
replacement for faulty processor easy to fit does what it says on the tin speeds are faster than my old 1.6GHz
on 12 August 2014
Fantastic!! Bought an Athlon II triple core and unlocked it to a Phenom II quad core. It took my windows experience from 6.8 to 7.3 and runs great.
on 22 June 2013
I found this processor to be very good. I did try to get it to go quad core but mine would not have it. I have to regrets with this in my computer.
on 20 May 2014
Bought for my sons computer has and is working well. Only complaint would be the noisy stock cooler, though it doesn't bother my teenage son!
on 11 July 2015
With a click you can turn this into a four core but it gets a bit hot so make sure you have good aftermarket cooler.
on 21 July 2014
Works very well and stays surprisingly cool when under a heavy load. Great for the price.