on 11 August 2010
This is my first Sony laptop/netbook and comes after more than a fourteen years of using/owning Dell computers. I have been using this product for just over two weeks and here's my take on it.

Why did I buy this product? It seemed to tick all the boxes that I had: portability, HDD size, build quality, features, and price (£299 when I bought mine). Although perhaps more expensive than other products of a similar spec, they aren't 'a Sony'. Everyone who has seen this mini-VAIO has commented on how cool it looks, is surprised when I show them what apps/software I'm using (mine came bundled with a 60-day trial of Office 2007 Home and Student, but as I already had a copy of it all I had to do was type in my key-code to get it to be a permanent feature), is very impressed with Sony's bundled software and apps, such as VAIO Gate, has asked me where I bought it and now want to buy one of their own! Now, people wouldn't say that about a Samsung, would they?

What would I change with this product? Well, I would have preferred 2GB of RAM as there is no way to upgrade it, and at around 4 hours, the battery life isn't as long as other competitors - but the AC power cord/transformer is small enough to throw in a bag without adding too much extra weight. I also bought an external DVD-ROM drive, the HP DVD556S-H02 8x External USB Slimline DVDRW Lightscribe drive off Amazon and it is useful for burning stuff when you need to. Mind you that why netbooks aren't laptops - because they don't have built-in DVD-ROM drives - so that's not really an issue.

That said, the keyboard is 90% of a full-sized one (actually I typed this review using it and I've got big hands so it's not that bad); I find the keys quite bouncy but solid, and responsive. Although I read many reviews talking about the touchpad being not that responsive, after owning three Dell laptops that appears to be the nature of the beast. Me? I use a bluetooth mouse, the Logitech V470 Wireless Bluetooth Laser Laptop Mouse (Blue) with it when I need extensive mouse usage and it works fine.

No, it's not as powerful as an Intel i3/5/7 laptop as it uses an Intel Atom processor, but then again if you wanted one of those you would not be considering this product, would you? This product has made me consider a larger-screened Sony VAIO as opposed to Dell for when I replace my current 17" Dell XPS laptop - that's how satisfied I am with this mini-VAIO.

All-in-all, I am very satisfied with this product and would highly recommend it without hesitation over its current rivals (as of mid-August 2010).
on 11 August 2010
Sony is just first class in almost everything. This netbook is fantastic - stylish, light, powerful and extremely well put together. The keyboard ( importantly) isnt too small, so typing is almost as natural as a normal full size! No complaints whatsoever, and with Sony build quality I dont expect to.
on 22 December 2014
the worse netbook maybe on market. i own this 2 years now. when i bought it had a massive problem with motherboard which made it crush all the time. sony didnt replace but sent it form cyprus when i was then to the central sony 3 times and brought back with no fix. the 3rd time they found the motherboard at last and change it so it was working but the camera didnt! after that they just stopped responding . so i bought a new product that never worked properly. after i changed on my own the ram because it was slower than a turtle it seemed better but after a year or less started crushing again. avoid sony forever
on 3 July 2013
I bought this present as a gift for a family member and it was a success. Its lightweight, portable and so far has worked as expected. Pleased with the seller, the item and the time taken to deliver. Very good value for money! Recommended.

See one answered question