6,716
Size: 8GB|Style Name: Standard packaging|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on 21 February 2011
Needing 8gbs in order to back up my system I chose Kingston because they have always suited me and came recommended by my IT Consultant. I like the slide over cover and the new addition of a flashing light whilst copying. So very well satisfied with it and your service. GB
on 6 July 2012
For well under a fiver at the time of writing (July 2012) this is excellent value for money, I think. Reliable so far when used with Windows XP and 7.

Two drawbacks, though:

(1) Like all modern USB drives, MP3 players, etc., this is not the stated size. Even allowing for the fact that the makers have, again, forgotten that you divide by 1024 (and not 1000) to convert from Bytes-kB-MB-GB-TB-etc., it's actually even less than you'd expect. It's stated to be an 8GB drive but it's actually 7.21GB. That's works out to a whopping 818.7MB shortfall! So long as you're aware of this and know 7.21GB will be enough for you then it's still good value for money (just a bit more misleading than usual!).

(2) The device comes with a stack of software pre-installed -- the annoyingly-named "urDrive" suite comprising music player, web browser, etc. This might be interesting for some, but as most of us will be running these devices plugged into machines with their own players, browsers, etc. and want to claw back some of the space we've been short changed on in the first place, I expect most people will remove it straight away. (By the way, don't bother running the uninstall executable -- just delete it all and have done!)

This review sounds negative but that's not really the intention. If you want a 7.21GB USB stick for under a fiver and don't mind spending a little time deleting some next-to-pointless software before using it for the first time, then this is worth it!
on 18 December 2012
This worked a few times but after a couple of weeks could not get to work. I contacted Kingston to try and find out what was wrong they informed me it was a fake and to send it back which I have done today.
If you buy this be very careful its not a fake like mine.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2013
I bought 4 of these drives in January and they've only been used a couple of times since then. All four have now failed completely leading to data loss and corruption. I had to re-copy data onto a number of smaller drives to get the job done. They got one star as Amazon doesn't offer a zero-star rating. I've had other Kingston drives which do work reasonably well, but a 100% failure rate in this batch makes me want to go to other makes and other suppliers.
on 7 March 2014
I already have a Kingston data traveller and this compared to the original is obviously a cheap copy.

I copied some movies to it and they wont play, but when copied to another usb stick they work.. I wouldn't buy
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2014
Unfortunately the memory stick did not work, my laptop displayed the message 'could not install driver' and did not allow me to put any files onto the stick.
on 20 February 2014
Just stopped working, tried with divers utility software for mac and pc, just dead... Kingston is usually reliable but I wouldn't recommend this particular item.
on 25 August 2013
Small: Yes. Cheap: yes. Slow: Yes.

Whether formatted for PC (FAT-32) or Macs (HFS+) this thing is mind-numbingly slow to write to. Don't buy this if you plan on getting things done quickly. I have flash drives that I've had for over 3 years that, after constant use, are still faster than this dog of a drive.

On the other hand, if you just want to use this to read from (maybe you're going to carry movie or music files on it) then you should be fine. It'll take you a long while to fill it to capacity, but if you don't change the files once they're on there, or add new ones, you should be OK.
on 1 February 2014
I've had two of these now, one sent back because of writing speed. The replacement was actually worse.

Using H2testw v1.4

Writing speed: 2.07 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.1 MByte/s

As a comparison I also tested a 8GB Sandisk Cruser - if only they still sold this drive

Cruser
Writing speed: 7.72 MByte/s
Reading speed: 26.8 MByte/s
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2014
I've used this design of memory-sticks in the past, but Kingston now appear to have made some design changes that make them utterly useless:

1. Speed - this is by far the slowest memory stick I've used, and is slower than a 2gb version of the same model that I got several years ago.

2. Non-Standard - this is not a standard USB memory stick: windows detects it as some kind of optical drive, not a USB memory stick; it cannot be repartitioned, even using MacOS or Linux & it cannot be used as a boot drive.

Based on these unadvertised and undesirable product changes - I will certainly not be either buying, or recommending any of their products again.