Customer reviews

2,375
Style: N150 Nano|Change

on 26 April 2017
A nice little wireless dongle. If your PC or laptop does not have a working wireless card, this will give you a good basic connection to the router.

As an engineer, I find some people have a PC upstairs and (where there has been a problem with the internet) the router is downstairs. installing one of these will make your PC wireless.

the dongle itself is very small and only sticks out of the USB port by a few mm, which is handy if you need to put it in a laptop that will be moved around. Not too many years ago these were about 3-4 inches long and were a considerable pain.

Although it is possible to replace a wireless card in a laptop - this is a cheap and quick alternative that requires no real techy know how. Simply insert the CD that is supplied in the computer, install the software then plug the dongle into the USB port.
Bought this to add wifi to a old Raspberry Pi 2 I had lying about the house and it worked flawlessly with no problems at all so thought I would try it out on a Pi 3 and it was equally as good and just out of interest sake tried it on my Windows 7 based desktop machine and again it was plug and play without the need for drivers or any nonsense and I was able to use Windows network controller interface to control and use the adapter.

Speeds were good and I could see no difference between wired and wireless using this adapter for normal browsing. Granted I didn't bother doing a load of speed tests as ultimately it serves one purpose for me and that's providing wireless for the old Rasperberry Pi 2 that I use for a long running home automation job hidden up in my roof space.

My house was built in the 1950s out of solid concrete and my walls are at least half a foot thick as are my ceilings and floors.... it could survive a nuclear blast but as a result it can sometimes be like living inside a Faraday cage (meaning wifi and phone signals can get blocked) but this little device has done a superb job at getting through two floors of solid concrete and through a handful of walls to go from the roof space down to behind the sofa were the router is hidden which is pretty impressive given it's tiny size.

Excellent adapter would happily buy again if need be.
on 20 April 2017
I will keep this review live: Day 1: bought this to replace a failing Digitazz dongle in my greenhouse based Raspberry Pi model B. The Digitazz used to report a max signal quality of around 50% with continual drop-outs and problems. So far, the Edimax is reporting 97% signal quality! This is greater than the built-in wifi on my Raspberry Pi Zero W, which gets around 60%. I will report back in a week or two to tell you if the drop-outs happen with this dongle too.

Update - May 28th 2017: Far more reliable than dongle it replaced. Had a few drop outs, but happens far less frequently than before. Flashing blue light on dongle is very handy too.
on 22 March 2017
Popped the tiny usb into the laptop and installed the drivers that are included on the mini-d and within 30 seconds I was all fixed up and online.
I bought this because I took a new PC that had win 10 and downgraded to win 7 pro. The only way to get online is with this usb unit.
So glad it worked and can stay plugged in as it barely sticks out.
on 6 July 2017
Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano

Have purchased two of these. One to use in a raspberry pi and the other to replace a misbehaving wireless card on a laptop. On both occasions, it was literally, as easy as plug in and start using.
Regarding the laptop, it was much easier, than having to try and sort out the wireless card issues and possibly replace the wireless card. The fact that it is so small, also means, that if does not add anything to the footprint of the laptop.
on 19 September 2017
Cheap, very small and works well - I used it to give a desktop PC the power of the internet (as running Ethernet cables all over the place is a chore, and this was cheaper than a cable). It's worked really well - virtually no speed differences compared to with a cable (note that my PC is in the same room as my router though - not sure how its range is). It comes with an installation CD with the necessary drivers which was very easy to set up, can't really go wrong with it.
on 28 June 2017
I started having issues with my laptop's onboard wireless adaptor because the drivers weren't compatible with Windows 10 (so it kept blue screening me) and there was no planned upgrade. I was fully ready to splash out £400 on a new laptop then spotted this little devil. Saved me an awful lot of money! It's small, sleek, I barely notice it's there and the internet connectivity is great. I've not had any problems with it yet.
on 14 March 2017
Purchased this for a Windows XP machine so it could join the network.
No problems setting this up. plug in to usb, install disk, found and joined
the network, now able to go back online for updates of software etc.
in computer upstairs, has a speed of 72mbps and suits my purpose
solid connection with no drop outs, connected to network and to two
wireless printers with no problems. Recommended
on 3 March 2017
Had my doubts when I ordered this - it was so cheap in comparison to a branded mini dongle that I fully expected it to either arrive non functional or be useless. I am happy to say that it's been absolutely perfect from the word go - works exactly as you'd want it to and it's so small that I leave it plugged into my laptop at all times to save losing it. It's never had an issue connecting to my networks (which is more than I can say for my on board wifi adapter), and the speed seems to be comparable to my on board wifi adapter when connected. The only thing I will say is that it is noticeably slower when plugged into a USB2.0 port rather than a USB3.0 port but that is clearly to be expected.
on 11 July 2017
Didn't work for me, even though the PC was in the next room from the router. So I bought the ANEWISH Wifi Dongle AC Dual Band 5GHz 433Mbps Wireless USB Wifi Adapter for PC / Desktop / Laptop / Tablet, Supports Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac Os X 10.4-10.11.4 and 10.12.1 adaptor instead, which works well.