Customer reviews

My son is most happy.
on 22 July 2017
My 9 year old loves it.
on 21 August 2017
The best series I've read so far. Thoroughly gripping and entertaining. Must start from the beginning of the series.
on 30 July 2016
Read every book in the series.
on 30 March 2015
Great read.
on 31 August 2013
An amazing book I couldn't put it down, until I had finished it
Got sucked in and immersed into the action!
on 25 April 2010
Skulduggery Pleasant:Dark Days is the fourth book in Skulduggery Pleasant series. Dark Days starts off the second trilogy in the series. The book starts off with a bad guy Dreylan Scarab being released from prison and Valkyrie missing Skulduggery. But there's a bright side, because Valkyrie and gang have found the one item that will get skulduggery back, his skull. The owner of the skull is contacted by Valkyrie's new 'friend' Caelan. When they get there they realize the skull is a fake. Now they have to get the skull, get Skulduggery and stop some old villeins from destroying the Sanctuary before Sunday's big game.

This book is brilliant in all ways even the romantic bits! Valkyrie's having a bit of boy trouble(very funny).
We've got some new heroes, some new villeins and a lot of people who want revenge. This book is the best yet in the series. A ten-out-of-ten, hilarious, fast, pacey, action-packed book. Recommend for 12-15 year olds.
VINE VOICEon 20 April 2010
Ohhh, How I adore Derek Landy. His books are a pure piece of escapism with wit, sarcasm and irony thrown in for good measure. I find his writing absolutely hysterical (sarcasm is kind of my thing *grins*)
You should always read his dedications as they are pure genius, they have never disappointed in making me laugh like a hyena, lol. J and I have come to the conclusion the Skulduggery Pleasant is the fictional manifestation of Derek Landy himself, enabling him to say and do exactly what he chooses within his imagination.
I must warn you that the Skulduggery Pleasant books are not stand alone, you have to read the previous books in order to fully appreciate the characters and their interactions. All the characters are extremely well developed and have the most marvellous personality flaws you will ever come across.
As the central female character, Stephanie/Valkyrie, matures the storyline develops to accommodate the stages of life that would accompany aging. An example of this would include the development of the love triangle between Stephanie/Valkyrie, Caelon and Fletcher. The depth of the relationship between Stephanie/Valkyrie and Skulduggery is still unfathomable, adding an extra dimension to the storyline.
There is an HUGE plot twist within this book, so thank goodness I only have to wait until September for the next installment, I think I would go mad if I had to wait until next year :)
on 28 October 2014
WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS... AND A LOT OF FANGIRLING.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...
"Valkyrie, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your friend is most likely dead."
"Of course he's dead. He's a skeleton."
Skulduggery Pleasant is gone, missing, taken, held hostage by the homicidal gods known as The Faceless Ones.
Valkyrie Cain will go to any length to get him back – including risking her own life.
But meanwhile criminals that Skulduggery and Valkyrie put away are gathering. Their plan? To destroy the Sanctuary – and Valkyrie Cain.
Things are looking grim.
Grimmer: the mysterious and dangerously powerful Darquesse, whose only goal is to destroy the world... And on top of this, they can trust no one at the Sanctuary.
Yup, things are looking pretty damn dark...
If only they had Skulduggery to help them... Cue foolish planning, now...
God, I adore this series! I've seriously forgotten how much I love it. Even on my second or third reading, it's just so damn good! Dark Days was action-packed, hilarious and just as magical as all Skulduggery Pleasant novels. I literally can never get enough of Skulduggery and co, and Dark Days really didn’t disappoint me – in fact, it was better than the three that came before it, which I thought impossible. How Derek Landy always manages to completely outdo himself with each new book is beyond me, but he does, and it's awesome. Also, totally addictive. I can't wait to continue my reread in the big run-up to the final book! But God knows I'm going to be a snivelling mess by the time it's done!
Ok, Valkyrie is getting to be soo awesome! She's growing up a lot, you can just see the difference, like her getting crushes. I was really impressed by how natural and subtle Derek made her growth feel – Val really does seem so much like a real person, albeit one with magic, razor-sharp wit and more strength than a million elephants. And even though I know where she's going, I can't wait to see it!
Skulduggery: I love him so much. I really wish people would stop saying mean things about him (in the book) 'cause I adore him. He's funny, bonkers, snarky and smart and is my favourite ever detective – and this includes Sherlock from the BBC TV show, so that's sayin' something!
I loved Fletcher too – he was so cute and obsessed with his hair! However, I always see Jedward whenever I think of him... Don't ask... Tanith was, as always, brilliant (I do so love the kickass girls in this series) – as was Ghastly (brilliant, I mean, not a kickass girl). I also really like China, even if she is a bit... creepy... Oh, and Finbar is amazing – that guy kills me each and every time!
The villains in Dark Days were epic. You had the Revengers Club (or Vengeance Brigade, depending on who you ask), who were made up of familiar and new faces, and then there was the mysterious Darquesse... My favourite (though I probably shouldn’t have a fave villain) was Billy-Ray, purely because he cracks me up. But all the villains were pretty awesome.
And damn, I love the writing in these books – the dialogue in particular! The characters never lack a snarky thing to say, some witty and brilliant comeback. I love that. I also love how amazing Derek's writing is: reading his books is like watching a film inside my head, which is awesome. These books are just the perfect escape for reluctant readers, in my opinion!
As for that plot... all the twists, the turns, the action, the murder, the excitement... It's enough to hook a girl for eternity. And as for the ending: cliff-hanger alert! I mean, I saw it coming this time, but the first time I ever read Dark Days: serious jaw-drop moment.
And I really quickly have to mention the world in these books, because it is awesome – seriously, awesome! Magic, monsters, mayhem, awesomeness… I want to move to this world and become a sorcerer so badly!
I also want to say how much I appreciate Derek writing to please everyone. There's magic, science, adventure, suspense, humour and friendship in this book, appealing to a wide audience. I also love how it's not aimed at boys or girls. I mean, Val's a girl but Skulduggery plays just as big a part. Boys and girls alike love this series – and some not-so-boys-or-girls too – and they're all so very right to. Skulduggery Pleasant is one hell of a series and everyone, everywhere ought to pick it up. Right now. I'll be waiting.
Oh, but before you go I want to and this: Dark Days was dark in the most delicious way. It left me wanting more, as always, and I seriously can't recommend it - all of the books actually - enough.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go read Mortal Coil and those of you who haven't read Skulduggery Pleasant need to go read that ASAP.
Happy reading!
on 5 August 2017
4th instalment as awesome as the first 3. As usual leaves on a cliffhanger and seeing Skullduggery and Valkeryie relationship develop and more key players enter the arena, it's definately on a roll and I purchased book 5 literally minutes after finishing this one. Highly recommended!