VINE VOICEon 20 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These earphones are the second high end pair I have tried. Upon opening out of the packaging, they look well made and quite smart. The ear piece is very different to what I have tried before. The silicon case completely blocks the ear canal when you put them in your ears and fit comfortably. It is easy to tell which is which by the 'L' and 'R' put on the respective ear piece. First impressions are that as soon as you try them, the background sound is reduced, even with no input playing through them.

The wire is of good length, so that you can put your iPhone/ iPod in your pocket with enough slack so that you are not stretching it too far. About 2/3's up the cable is a volume control, button and clip. The volume control is a slider you use to increase/ decrease the sound and is easy and responsive to use. The button when pressed and held will quieten the input sound and let you hear more of your current surroundings; particularly useful to speak to someone. The clip is a good feature that can be use to attach the cable to some clothing to restrict movement - a nice touch I haven't encountered before.

The actual input you use from the earphones is the unique apple connector found at the base of the iPhone/ iPod and not the 3.5mm jack. This is so the earphones can use the power from the player to activate noise cancellation speakers. At first, I was a bit dissapointed because I thought it would drain the power ridiculously, but I have to say I am impressed because it seems to use almost no extra battery which is fantastic.

Listening to music through the earphones is joyous and they produce a brilliant sound. However, (and a big however), the sound can easily be distorted quite badly when using them on a day-to-day basis. Because the earphones work on an active noise cancellation speaker, the try to produce the negative of the sound in the background and trying to cancel this out, hence noise cancelling. However, wind can play a big problem and you soon get a loud howling in your ear. Other such things as touching the earphones to push them back into the ear and even walking can produce an unwanted sound!

The earphones come with a nice sturdy case with meshing inside to hold it in place - it will take a lot of impact to damage the case! Different earbuds are given which you can change to personal preference.

Overall, I would say the earphones are good, but have a potential to be better. They are fantastic when using them when you are sitting still, but using them with any movement such as walking it interferes (they are useless for running with). Because I use earphones when I am out and about pretty much all the time, I will stick to Klipsch Image S4i Headphones -with built-in mic (iPhone Compatible)
on 26 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wrote a review about this already, but an Amazon bug dealt with it... so here is, again, a round-up of my thoughts.

So I like these headphones - excellent sound quality. The phones are of a type I never saw before - they are literally in your ear, with an air-tight fit. There are 3 sizes of ear cup supplied so you should find your ideal fit.

There is a handy control switch which hangs at stomach level, with a slider volume switch and a music mute button which quiets the music and uses a little microphone to let you hear the outside world.

The phones are definitely very good, but I think the price is a bit high. I think this product is for enthusiasts - I'd be quite happy to make do with the Apple supplied phones. But if you want the best, then these might be for you.

A nice surprise was the little zipper case supplied, which holds the earphones and your ipod.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I first realised how much money was being charged for these earphones, personally I thought it was a bit of a joke... but really the joke was on me.

I tried this on both the iphone 3G and a normal ipod; with the iphone 3g I received a message stating that "This device is not made for the iphone and MAY cause noise distortion", I think this is because it's not an OFFICIAL Apple product, however just click dismiss button. On my ipod however it did not come up with a message.

The earphones come with a really smart case where you can store the earphones, it also fits my iphone. It comes with both small and large earbuds, which are probably the most comfy earphones I have ever tried.

Now it came to actually listening to the music and my god, I was blown away, I've never heard music sound so good before, it's one of those things you have to hear for yourself, the sound is very smooth/clear and the bass I got from it was fantastic.

While playing music on the iphone I couldn't adjust the music via the phone, you have to use the slider on the earphones which wasn't a big deal.

You also have a button on the slider where if you HOLD it, it will mute the music so you can hear people speaking to you.

Overall this product is absolutely brilliant, although the price is very steep if your the type of person that wants to fully appreciate sound quality and will use it a lot, then this item is definitely for you.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These headphones are excellent - sound good, fit well and have a proper volume control that takes over from th ipod/iphone one.

The usual message comes up when you plug them into an iphone 4 - about them not being optimised for the unit - but they work flawlessly.

Truthfully the best headphones Ive used with my iphone and ipod classic (also tried them on a touch and they were fine again)

So the problem I had? Well I have my phone in a case on my belt most of the time and I can't do this when they are using these headphones as they use the dock connector and not the headphone jack - phone had to go in my pocket.... Not a big deal but a pain none the less.

Overall - recommended - and my hassle won't apply to most users.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using these headphones for commuting to work and to aid concentration at work. The headphones come in a hard box which can also hold an iPod which is a nice thoughtful detail. The headset themselves aren't very bulky at all. Instead of a headphone jack it is has an iPhone connector. This is a careful choice, Steve Jobs himself said that a product is often defined by what is left out. Using the power of the iPod means that you don't have a bulky battery pack, but aren't as versatile.

I personally think that this was the right call. The middle module on the headset has a volume control and a kill switch to allow the ambient noise back in. This also seems to be where the microphone is for the electronics to measure the sound and cancel it out. More expensive headsets have a microphone on each headphone, but for 89 quid I think you get your money's worth.

The headphones themselves have an unusual shape which looks uncomfortable but works really well and they are held in with a silicone casket.

So do they work? In terms of cancelling out noise it is effective unless its directional, this is because there was only microphone in the device. In terms of the sound that comes from these headphones, its a little bright and on a couple of tracks, notably the introduction to Hellalujah by The Happy Mondays you hear high-end distortion.

What you need to remember however is that BlackBox came up a set of great value noise-cancelling headphones.
VINE VOICEon 15 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Until now I have been a Sennheiser user firstly the MX 550 in ear then the PX 100's headphones as the in ear ones kept falling out. I have always been happy with the sound of the Sennheiser's and they have always been better than the phones supplied by manufacturers.

The Blackbox i10s noise cancelling earphones are more expensive and I wondered if they would be worth the extra money when using an i Pod.

The results were great after a little burn in time the bass was deeper and the soundstage a lot more expansive than the Sennheiser's and the whole musical presentation was the best Ive heard with earphones/ earplugs when listening to the I Pod.

That said I'm not sure there would be a great difference if not using lossless which I do, as the clipping and compression of the music takes a lot of the top and bottom of the music away, thus you would loose the benefit of these phones.

The noise cancelling worked to certain degree, as you could still hear the aircraft engines above the music, and to me the sound quality is more important.

They come with 3 sets of ear plugs, which you change to suit the size of your ear and a box to fit the phones and pod in, which is great for transporting it due to its neat size.

All in all a great sound if you use lossless and enjoy music.
on 11 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Plugging these into the base of my ipod, played a classical quiet track on a train journey and...pure bliss - minute background noise but these headphones certainly did cancel the background out and they are highly recommended. I found the comfort excellent and the build quality is evidently quality too.

All in all these will greatly enhance your listening pleasure not just the noise cancellation, but also the high quality sound produced.
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can honestly say these headphones are some of the best I've ever had. They are comfortable, look stylish and most importantly, have good sound quality. The noise cancelling is the best feature, it makes listening to music much better especially when on public transport as it drowns everything else out. I wouldn't suggest wearing these if going out a jog though as you won't be able to hear any traffic!

The headphones come with a good range of adapters for your ear, which is brilliant as I've never found any which truly fit my ears before so these are a first for a very comfortable fit. Usually earphones always fall out of my left ear but these ones don't. They are quite heavy which is a slight downside, and would probably cause problems if you use them in the gym.

When using them with an iPhone you WILL get interference as they aren't made for iPhones, but switch your phone into airplane mode will solve this problem.
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a music geek but have an ipod and enjoy using it. To be honest it wouldn't have crossed my mind to upgrade the earphones. However I got these and I have to say I'm blown away by the difference a decent pair of earphones makes. I'm hearing stuff on the tracks that I've never noticed before. They're more comfy in the ears as well.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Blackbox i10 Active Noise Rejection (ANR) headphones by Phitek are probably an audiophiles dream.
I have been sampling and reviewing headphones of various type and price range, quality and build, for some time. This is an iPod specific product, complete with the well known 30 pin connector.

Phitek are experts in developing electro-acoustic technology products for the airline industry. Based in New Zealand they were formed to provide solutions to the air passenger listening experience - in particular, noise reduction.

The Sound:
Rich punchy bass and crystal clear treble. Tembre - the ability to distinguish different instruments in a busy mix of sound, is noticeable. Volume can reach much higher levels than many headphones, without any distortion.
I sampled using a range of audio including folk, country-rock, speech and pop.

The Noice Cancelling Technology:
Phitek own the trademark Active Noise Rejection(tm).
The ANR works by measuring noise and generating an "anti-noise" response. Anti-noise is an inverted copy of the noise itself (generated by one microphone in each earpiece and one in the medallion for monitor function). The Noise Cancellation is up to 22 decibel and passive isolation up to 35db.

But does it really cancel noise? Yes, and the best part is - no additional battery pack or power charger is required. The noise cancellation is stated at being up to 22db. This is pretty similar to the average level of a pair of foam earplugs.

I tested the headphones by taking a pencil and tapping it on a wooden surface near me (while playing country-rock, at medium to high volume). At first I can hear the tapping, but the sound miraculously begins to deaden as the microphones located on the earphones and volume control panel pick up and allow the cancellation to take place. Then I compared to a conventional pair of high quality in-ear `noise isolating' (not cancelling) phones, at same volume. While both pairs performed well, the difference was noticeable.
I tested in a similar way, by clicking my fingers, tuning a radio to create white noise and flicking a light switch. Interesting to note - if you place your finger tips on the headphone sockets while listening, you can hear the sound adjusting itself to the interference. Therefore proof that the product is alive and working well.

Summary:
At under £100, less than the price of other well known Sound Isolating Headphones you get an excellent listening experience and a hard carry case for your iPod too. They feel well made, coated in black rubber/silicone, surely able to withstand day to day use, in and out of pockets and bags. Recommended.