• UR
  • Customer reviews

on 17 July 2014
Amazon Kindle might have paid for this one and we may argue this is not the King's best story...but King is still doing his magic.

He takes an everyday mundane object (a Kindle) and connects it to the surreal. Afterwards he explores how an average person like most of us would respond to the supernatural events. And the question of free will, fate, time paradox and all universes intertwined comes in the end, but remains unanswered.

I gave it 4 stars because to me it felt like a draft for a bigger and deeper story.
One person found this helpful
on 7 December 2012
Everyone asks "what if..." at some time or other, and one man receives a Kindle that gives him the answers, but sometimes the only thing worse than a question is the answer.
Not a long book, & not a major Stephen King thrill-fest, but certainly worth a read. Some have said that it's essentially a very long Kindle advert that you pay for the privilege of reading, and maybe it is, but one I'm glad I took a chance on, and if it were made into a short film I would willingly watch. Yes, it plugs the Kindle many times, but until mine's untimely death a week ago at the paws of 2 Bengal cats, I had a Kindle keyboard and was so happy I should've been on commission from Amazon as a number of people were persuaded to buy by my enthusiasm.
on 27 October 2017
I liked the idea behind the story and how it 'grows'. As a Stephen King fan I was looking forward to reading this book and I was not disappointed. However I did find the ending a little too abrupt; which is the reason I gave it 4* and not 5*
on 29 March 2011
Pretty typical fare for a Stephen King short story. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE SK fan - and this holds it's own - I guess I'm just waiting for something spectacular from the master.

Worth reading as a first ebook on your Kindle because it's ABOUT a very special Kindle...(We now have 3 of those in the family and we love 'em!).

Overall - I'll hold onto the fifth star for when SK re-Kindles his mojo!

(BTW - if you like SK you probably also like James Herbert... But have you tried Dean Koontz? Try "Fear Nothing", the first "Odd Thomas" book, his take on "Frankenstein" or - for the longer read - "False Memory". You're welcome!)

- Doombar.
on 8 April 2013
Before downloading it into my Kindle, I read the reviews and, despite this story seems to be a blatant publicity on the kindle product, I think it stands up alone for its originality. Actually, as long as I was reading it, I started to look at my own kindle in a suspicious way and trying to locate the ur botton! :) Of one thing I am certain: it was pretty hard for me to interrupt the reading, because it was very entertaining and put my kindle down!
on 25 July 2014
I always have high expectations of Stephen King stories and UR was not to disappoint. Taking only around an hour to read, Stephen King manages to successfully draw the reader in and create a memorable and thought-provoking story which I thoroughly enjoyed. The story, whilst being purely fantastic in nature, manages still to be believable. The characters are developed well and the plot well paced and not completely predictable as so many short stories seem to be. I would recommend this story to any Stephen King fan as it is every bit as good as his other short stories, such as those found in the likes of Different Seasons or Hearts in Atlantis.
on 25 February 2015
It was so good to realise that this book was connected to The Dark Tower stories. The ending was a surprise, the story so good. Well done to Stephen King for finding another angle and to meet the low men again. Im just so sorry the book wasnt twice as long and it made me want to read the Tower books again for the third time.
on 31 May 2015
Loved it. Brilliant Stephen King book. I have waited so long to read this as I have only recently got a Kindle (refused to read on the computer lol), well worth the wait, just wish it was longer (but then I hate it when a good book ends!).
on 12 January 2013
I have just read this on my kindle and I enjoyed the story, I wasn't aware the story was about a kindle (a pink one!) so that was a nice surprise as I have just bought one, original idea, perhaps would have been good as a novel too, a good story line that could have been made into much more I feel. Would recommend, I would not however waste money on In The Tall Grass hated it!
on 2 January 2013
As you have come to expect from this writer, you always think, what if? This short story did not disappoint, and you never see the twists in the plot coming. As the second book read on my new Kindle, it was a bit eerie, but very well written. I hope that this will be included in another of his short story books, so that the readers who have not yet 'given in' to technology can enjoy it also.