on 2 September 2010
I've been using these speakers daily for about a month, and I'm pretty impressed with them. I have spotify on my phone (android) and I mostly use the speakers to listen to spotify without booting up the computer etc.

The sound quality is really good over bluetooth, and also I have connected my TV to the speakers via the line in socket, because they sound way better than the TV's built in speakers (5 year old sony Bravia).

When you connect a TV it doesn't disconnect bluetooth, you can actually play music over bluetooth and sound from the TV at the same time, so to switch you just mute or turn off one of them. There is no volume control for the line in port on the speakers, I use volume control on the TV remote for that. There is volume control on the speakers for bluetooth sources though, but I just set that to max permanently and then adjust volume on my phone.

I've taken the speakers outside for a barbecue a few times and they worked really well outdoors on batteries too.

The only negative thing I can think of is the speakers are bigger than I thought - less portable than my Creative travelsound speakers which these replace. But the sound quality is a lot better because of this (and there is some bass). Overall they have been a great investment.
on 14 March 2011
I strongly recommend you know what you want before buying.

I wanted a portable (ie rechargeable or at least, battery powered like the D100) dock for my iPhone 3GS. I also like bass and good clarity with reasonable volume, so after reading many reviews I went for this one by Creative (I will add that I have bought Creative stuff before and always been impressed, so that was an influence).

Within half an hour of plugging it in, I was re-wrapping it and preparing to return (which went through without a fuss, excellent service Amazon). Reason: bass was too weak and volume too low - for MY tastes. The other side to this is that the D100 cost £49 and for that money it's very good; I simply recognised that I got what I paid for, that I needed to up-budget, and have since bought the Logitech s715i (also from Amazon) for £99, and it blows me away - a fantastic piece of kit. My pros and cons of the D100:

* handy, portable
* good sound for what it is, ideal for things like picnics or as an enhancement to laptop speakers
* bluetooth set up was a doddle and painless
* some funky colours, though I went for boring black
* reasonably solid build, Creative make quality kit

* bass isn't up to my reggae and soul favourites (if you crank up the bass, this isn't the one for you)
* volume is okay for a small-medium room but no more, I was at "10" a lot
* contrary to other reviewers, I found the shape irritating - it kept slipping out of my grip

Overall: for £49, an excellent buy but note caveats above
44 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2010
The Creative D100 Bluetooth speakers provide good volume and sound quality for their size. Even the bass is sufficient unless you like your music to boom. The wireless bluetooth connection works well and was easy to set up on Windows 7. I can use these speakers in the bathroom when my netbook is in the lounge, which are separated by a 2 foot thick granite wall and a breeze block wall! I can also just about use them in the bedroom separated by 2 wood-panelled walls about 8 metres away.

The unit uses 4 AA batteries which I think is much better than the built in rechargeable batteries that come with some wireless speakers. Rechargeable batteries only have a life span of about 3 years and proprietary, built-in batteries often cannot be replaced or are very costly. Standard AAs are the way to go.

However, there are a few problems which prevent me giving a positive review. Firstly, the volume control is quite poor, being controlled by 2 small fiddly buttons on the front that you have to press quite firmly (although you can control the volume from the media player if you wish). As a result you have to hold the speakers at the same time to prevent them sliding backwards. A simple slider or knob would have been better.

Also, the on-off switch and aux-in are on the back so if you have the speakers up against a wall on a shelf you have to lift them away to access these. These would be better placed on the side or front of the unit. A carry handle would be a nice addition too.

Unfortunately the bluetooth connection cuts out if I try and turn the volume up high (to about 85% or more) on my computer when the speakers are running on batteries. When using the supplied AC power supply this does not happen. I have not tried it via the aux-in port yet to see if the problem occurs with that as well (it may just be that power output is limited when driven off batteries).

After running on batteries for a while the speakers periodically (every minute or so) sound 3 beeps. There is nothing in the documentation describing this beeping but it seems to be related to the amount of charge left in the rechargeable NiMH batteries I use. After approx. 6-7 hours of use after installing freshly charged batteries the annoying beeping starts up, even though the batteries have enough charge left to deliver perfectly adequate volume. If I plug the unit in to the mains or top the batteries back up the beeping stops.

The documentation provided is poor - only a quick start guide is provided and it is very hard to find any tech support/trouble shooting help on Creative's web site.

Overall, while the sound quality is good for portable speakers I expected a better all-round product for the price.

Summary
-------
Pros:
Good sound quality
Compact, light and portable
Uses AA batteries rather than non-replaceable built-in batteries

Cons:
Controls are fiddly
Positioning of on-off switch and aux-in port could be better
Can only use to about 85% of max. volume when running on batteries
Sensitive to level of charge left in batteries
Poor documentation
44 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2010
Creative make nice sounding speakers and this is no exception.
It has a better bluetooth signal than my old AE 29 bluetooth speaker , i can actually have the speaker in the kitchen and leave my laptop in the lounge and it still retains its signal where as my last one did not.
Battery life is incredible! They say its 25 hours and there not far off.
Sound Quality is good,a very well rounded sound with enough bass to keep me happy.
Would recommend this speaker no problem.
on 28 May 2011
I looked around a lot before purchasing these speakers in May2011 and have found it absolutely what I needed. Here are the good points:

-I use it via bluetooth with an Iphone 4 and a MacBook early 2010 model and it works perfectly.
-Good quality sound, way better than built-in iPhone 4 speakers (which are not too bad in itself). I listen a lot to internet streamed talk radio on my iPhone and the Creative speaker makes for a smooth listening experience.
- You can choose whether you listen from the speaker or from your device by adjusting from your device, e.g. iPhone, without disconnecting bluetooth. They do not interfere with each other. Brilliant!
- You can adjust volume from your device and/or from speaker.
- The speaker can be used from the mains or from 4 AA batteries. When I am using rechargeable batteries, they are lasting a very long time. Please note, when plugged into the mains, it does not charge the batteries.
- Easy to pair up bluetooth devices.
- Also works with anything via the speaker's AUX IN input. (Have not tried this yet, as I don't have the jack link).
- The advantage over 'docking' speakers is that e.g. a smartphone can be used with this speaker remotely (bluetooth) with the smartphone in your hand that you would not be able to do if it were docked in position on the speaker. i.e. answer the phone without having to go the dock.
- Feels like a quality product, light but no way flimsy. Does not move about once on a surface due to 4 rubber pads.
- It even comes with interchangeable plug ends for the mains, UK 3 pin and Euro 2 pin, how thoughtful.
- The blue colour I have looks really good, not too flash nor too serious like black. (That's very subjective of course).
- Excellent price for what it does. There may be better sounding speakers but they are also 5 times or more the price. These ones you can take anywhere with you, as they can run on batteries.

Cannot recommend more highly.
P.S. I have no link to Creative, I just love this product and want to help others looking for a similar product like I was.
on 22 September 2011
I use this D100 to connect to my laptop and phone in the kitchen. Great device - clean n clear sound and acceptable base. I've also taken it camping on battery power - during which lasts several hours.

I also bought a D200 and cannot begin to justify the extra cost over D100.
on 21 July 2012
I now own this product for 2 days. The sound is good. Pairing the bluetooth connection was surprisingly easy. We have used an Ipad, an older phone, a nokia N8, a half broken laptop running on Ubuntu. Streaming worked just fine. That is, while it was running on batteries only.

Working on batteries it deserves all the praise I have seen in the other reviews here.

But when I only used the flimsy power adapter, the bleutooth connection always failed after a few minutes. That it did again and again after about 4 minutes in use, for all the devices mentioned above. So the cause must be the power adapter. In my opinion the power adapter is too cheap. It comes with 2 handy travel connectors though, UK and Europlug. You click either one on the socket.

Update: I returned it and got a replacement product. The new power adapter works just fine. It should remind you however that this and most products like this are of a cheap and light construction.
on 16 June 2012
I saw a wireless bluetooth speaker at my friends house several months ago, and his was the Bose unit. Looks and sounds great but at £250 it should. I liked the idea but could not justify the Bose price and found this Creative one as an alternative.

I was a little hesitant at first and this was due to the price. My thinking was that it couldn't be very good as it was so reasonably priced - how wrong I was! The speakers are superb, a little bulky maybe, but the volume is more than adequate and sound quality is great.

I run mine off 4 rechargeable AA batteries and it seems to last quite a long time without recharges, easily over 12 hours. You can tell when the batteries need recharging as the unit makes an intermittent, but regular beeping noise. It is easy and quick to pair up, and when paired the green power LED changes to blue.

It feels quite solidly built, and has a separate audio input on the rear of the unit for those MP3 players that do not have bluetooth.
on 8 August 2015
This is a long-term review for the Creative D100 Bluetooth Stereo Speaker System.
I bought this out of sheer desperation when I was working renovating a house a couple of years ago that was situated next to a commercial kennel - the sound of 30+ dogs barking all day was starting to drive me potty! ;)
Normally my phone is clipped to the neck of my T-shirt (I play music from that), and the in-built speaker is usually plenty loud enough.
Scene set, on with the review...

DESIGN:
I personally think that the case is pleasing to look at. It is easy to keep clean, and the material covering the speakers seems to stay remarkably clean despite all the horrible things I've done to it in the last two years.
The front panel has minimal controls - Just a Bluetooth Connect button and separate Volume Up and Down buttons. The rear of the D100 has just an On/Off slider, an AUX IN socket and a 5VDC power socket.
The four AA batteries are held in a compartment under a slide-out panel on the underside.

BATTERY LIFE:
It says that it will run for about 25 hours on a set of AA batteries, but a DECENT set of alkaline batteries will probably last much longer than that before you will start to get issues. By 'issues' I mean that if the volume is right up, on loud passages, the bluetooth connection might drop out. If you have no more batteries with you, just drop the volume a bit and carry on listening. You can always plug in a mains adapter of course.
It deals admirably with NiMH and NiZn rechargeable batteries. Lithium batteries turn this into a Zombie-Device - it will seem to go on forever before requiring new batteries (Lithium primary cells are usually considered to be between 4 and 6 dimes the energy density of normal alkaline cells).
Note: The supplied power supply does NOT charge the internal batteries. It is a battery-replacement only.

BLUETOOTH:
You can connect up to two discrete Bluetooth devices and it will remember them both.
To connect (pair) a BT device, press the BT connect button on the front of the speakers for three seconds. The speakers will emit a two beeps indicator LED will be flashing blue. Turn on BT on your phone/iPod and put it into search mode. When the D100 is located, Select "Pair" on your device, and if necessary enter the code 0000 if requested. If the pairing is successful, the LED on the front of the speakers will turn a continuous blue colour.
To pair a second device, make sure the first device you connected has its BT transceiver turned off, and pair as before.
To clear the onboard BT device memory, press and hold the BT connect button for at least ten seconds. A long beep will signify that the speakers are ready to pair a new BT device.
The speakers do not auto-connect after pairing, but when a paired transmitting device is within range, a one second press on the BT connect button will establish a connection.
Another one second push will toggle between the two paired devices (if they are both transmitting that is).
I've found that the range in 'free-space' is up around 10 metres, but inside a house, with walls and furnishings between speakers and paired device obviously diminish the range. Around 7 metres is about average.
The good news is that if you move out of range for a few seconds, the speakers will reconnect automatically. The bad news is that anything more than a few seconds will require a manual reconnection via the front panel BT connect button again (Not helpful if you are up a ladder, etc).

AUX IN:
There is a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the rear of the speakers that can be used to directly connect devices that do not have BT capability. This socket overrides BT connections.
The volume from the speakers when using the 3.5mm jack is controlled solely by the connected device - the front panel volume buttons are disabled.

VOLUME:
For such small speakers you actually get quite a loud and clean sound from them, even when turned right up. The bass is a bit lacking, but for 3.5-inch speakers, it's actually better than I would have expected.
When using the front panel volume buttons, the speakers beep when maximum and minimum volume limits have been reached.

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS:
I use the speakers almost exclusively with an ageing iPhone4S via a BT connection. I have found that it is more convenient to have the speaker volume set at maximum and use the volume buttons on the phone to control the speaker output (it's easier to push a button on the phone than climb down a ladder to reduce the volume on the speakers when someone is talking to you).
There is very little distortion noticeable, even with loud music, and there is no buzzing or other mechanical sounds (such as cone resonance or rattling) from the unit either.
I do have one complaint and I consider it to be a major omission - it needs a carrying handle. It really needs one. Seriously.
This is sold as (quoting from the Creative website): "Portable Wireless Speaker for Outdoor Parties. Portable wireless Bluetooth® speakers that come in four exciting colors to match your unique personality. Bring it to parties or for a day at the beach!"
- Not if you want to be able to carry other stuff to the beach with you!
I take this D100 everywhere with me. It is used at home and at work, but when you are carrying other gear/stuff around with you, the best you can do handle-wise, is to stuff your fingers into the speaker reflex port in the back (OK for thin fingers, but if you have sausage-fingers, not so good).
At 1kg it's not particularly heavy, just awkward to carry, especially as the body is a truncated-wedge shape. When you have lots of other gear to carry, it's a very real annoyance (I fitted a handle to the top of mine in the end).

DURABILITY:
These speakers have been used in light rain, dropped off a step-ladder (several times), been carted all over the south of England in a van, and generally used and abused on a daily basis for two years solid.
And seeing as they were bought as a 'cheapo' speaker system and was only needed for the duration of one job (a week), all I can say is that this is one of the best purchases I've ever made.
The only thing to go wrong was one of the little rubber pads (feet) came off after the first year, but that was easily replaced with a set from Maplin.co.uk
Like I said, my only gripe is a lack of a carry handle, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Speakers - 2 x 2W(RMS)
Bluetooth® Version Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Bluetooth® Profile A2DP (Wireless Stereo Bluetooth), AVRCP (Bluetooth Remote Control)
115.0mm x 336.0mm x 115.0mm (4.53" x 13.23" x 4.53")
1kg (2.2lbs)

INCLUDED ITEMS:
5V 1A (Centre +ve) Power Supply
User Guide
(Note: The AUX cable is not included)
on 14 May 2012
Cute speaker system. Produces great sound for listening to music, watching DVDs etc... and comes in a great colour too! I love the green, but I bought it coz my Brother had one and he loved his (and he's much more discerning than I when it comes to technology) - and he has the blue which is also awesome!

So easy to use and conveniently wireless (though my computer needed a bluetooth adapter).

Brilliantly light, genuinely portable, has a well designed hand-sized hole in the back for carrying and feels rugged enough that you're not scared of breaking it if you bung it in your car.

Perfect! Especially given the price!

(I'm not sure that I've ever given a review on Amazon before, but felt that this product waranted it!)