Top critical review
57 people found this helpful
Good as a compact portable device
on 14 March 2011
I strongly recommend you know what you want before buying.
I wanted a portable (ie rechargeable or at least, battery powered like the D100) dock for my iPhone 3GS. I also like bass and good clarity with reasonable volume, so after reading many reviews I went for this one by Creative (I will add that I have bought Creative stuff before and always been impressed, so that was an influence).
Within half an hour of plugging it in, I was re-wrapping it and preparing to return (which went through without a fuss, excellent service Amazon). Reason: bass was too weak and volume too low - for MY tastes. The other side to this is that the D100 cost £49 and for that money it's very good; I simply recognised that I got what I paid for, that I needed to up-budget, and have since bought the Logitech s715i (also from Amazon) for £99, and it blows me away - a fantastic piece of kit. My pros and cons of the D100:
* handy, portable
* good sound for what it is, ideal for things like picnics or as an enhancement to laptop speakers
* bluetooth set up was a doddle and painless
* some funky colours, though I went for boring black
* reasonably solid build, Creative make quality kit
* bass isn't up to my reggae and soul favourites (if you crank up the bass, this isn't the one for you)
* volume is okay for a small-medium room but no more, I was at "10" a lot
* contrary to other reviewers, I found the shape irritating - it kept slipping out of my grip
Overall: for £49, an excellent buy but note caveats above