Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 25 July 2010
When you've been listening to bands for 50 years you might be forgiven for saying of a current band `Ah reminds me of....' Or `Influences from ....' And so forth. Now that doesn't mean the band in question are copying or unoriginal, in my book it means either `Yeah very nice but I've heard it all before' or `Carrying on the tradition in their own way...'
So I'm new to The Coral, and I'm judging an album and not a band, though on the basis of listen to `Butterfly House' I think I might have to do some investing in their earlier work.
The first impression I had was of a band using the UK folk tradition merging in with electric guitar rock, songs of relationships and landscapes framed in stories, voice not drowned out by music, merging nicely together. Then there are echoes of the sort of work produced by the US 1960's band the Byrds in their first four albums, particularly in `Two Faces' though The Coral have an easier more rhythmic way, I'd put that down to being a more stable and focused outfit.
OK I'm going to stop rambling on about comparisons in case I do this band a disservice by suggesting they've just hung about and copied. They've obviously worked hard at forming their own sound, lyrical guitar work complimented by a keyboard moving in and out of the music, clear and easy to relate to intelligent lyrics (which means they an't heavy in metaphor and cod-metaphysics) and very worthy harmonies. This is band not afraid to break the pattern either, nice guitars break in `1000 years' and `North Parade'.
This is a band I wish we'd had around in the late 1960s before UK music sort of slipped into indulgent solos, obscure lyrics and concept albums, they might well have shaken up the scene into getting back to clarity and music for listeners.
My only regret, I didn't buy the limited edition album.
So folk of a `certain age' here's a band carrying on the finer traditions and honing them to their own style- well worth having.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2017
Love early Coral but found this album not as instant to like as previous stuff. Maybe it's a grower and needs loads of play to get into...
on 4 June 2017
Thanks
I love the Coral me. I was first made aware of them around the time of the Shadows Fall EP - ten years ago! - via the Shack message board. I've enjoyed the ride since and yes, like most bands, they've had their ups and downs, their highs and lows, but I must admit I thought we'd seen the best of them.

And then what do they do? Release this stonking album chock - yes chock! - full of beautiful harmonies and melodies.

The album itself is a wonder, it really is. Of course The Coral will always be labelled with the old "West Coast" tag and rightly so in some respects, but they're much more than a Scouse Byrds. The tunes and harmonies on here are really second to none and I haven't played an album on rotation so much since I bought "The Beautiful" by Hurrah! way back in 1989.

There are many highlights, the aforementioned "1000 Years", the beautiful "Green Is The Colour" and the killer first track "More Than A Lover". In fact, on first listen you don't think the next track can get any better, but it does, there really is absolutely no filler on here at all. They are the kind of songs that are so catchy that even after one listen they seem like old friends.

The albums is west coast, yes. And a little Byrds, a bit of Beatles and maybe just a light sprinkling of CS&N.

However, it's unmistakeably The Coral. Roll on the next album.
on 11 November 2010
Without doubt this is a band who in Butterfly House have found what they've been striving for.

They've succeeded in fusing late 60s American west coast whimsical sounds of the Byrds et al (and more recently Fleet Foxes and the Last Shadow Puppets) with their traditional Backbeat sound.

Interestingly, we also find Skelly with a similar tremor to Richard Ashcroft, which in itself seems to add another defined instrument to the ensemble.

Make no mistake though this is a Coral sound. For sure they've been influenced by previous genres I mean who doesn't like the Backbeat sound? but they have worked really hard at integrating it all plus some and not afraid to go left field with raging psychedelic bridges.

Yes you'll hear some familiar percussion sounds and chord changes and riffs, but it all hangs together more professionally, with purpose. I understand this took two years to produce and it shows.

Without repeating Rob Webbs intro, the bookends to this album really set the scene. Now, it's vital to say don't even think about putting this album on shuffle, its been skillfully crafted as a complete piece with very well defined movements, pivoting around the album title.

I don't want to isolate any particular track (they're all stunning) but personally I'm freaking out just how good North Parade is. For fans of Paul Wellers' solo work then this is the killer song Weller never made, but should of, but since splitting with Stevie White on drums will never accomplish since his arrogance has got worse with age, anyway I digress.

I'm not one to normally comment on or otherwise criticise other reviewers, at the end of the day music is very personal. Yet I am often dumbfounded when people elude to new pieces of work as not as good because its not their early albums. I don't buy music to listen to the same stuff, I buy it to be challenged and excited, if I wanted their old albums I'd put them back on my iPOD. In reality I fundamentally disagree with Mr Sanderson, this album is in fact a natural progression for this band it has many similar characteristics of their previous finest but just factored up by a hundred, I mean we are talking awesome.

I'm sure the boys who make up Coral are very proud of this record and rightly so, they have all grown together and matured in away that has finally arrived and culminated with their finest work. I just hope it's well received and they are justifiably rewarded in a way they best see fit, and if I never buy another album I'd be more than satisfied with my last purchase.
on 10 September 2010
I have all of their previous albums (they are all good albums full of well crafted songs). BUT...These guys have went a step further here, this whole album(after a couple of plays)just sticks in your sub-concious like a classic album should (I can't bear to take out of my car CD player!!). The melodies are fab and the playing is well up on their previous efforts. Just try "Walking in the Winter", "Green is the colour" or the superbly sublime "Falling all around you",the best song I've heard this year by a country mile! Buy it now (and their hits) pack and get totally Coral-led!
on 29 September 2010
A melodic, psychedelic insight into a vision
comparable to the likes of Simon and Garfunkel,
The Beatles, even Kula-Shaker.

Simply awesome,
there is no point talking about it any longer
just listen to it for yourself and see.
on 23 February 2011
I loved The Coral's earlier albums. Whilst the album is very professional it is somewaht forgettable. I wanted to like this and I have played it many times and still feel the same. If you are new to this band try the first two albums, much more memorable and catchy.
on 11 October 2010
I still remember the excitement of listening to the first Coral album. Since then they have struggled with repeating that surprise.I love them as a band. They are such great musicians. I think what is missing still, is the sense of humour and sheer hutzpa of possibilities. Butterfly House is still without the humour but it works on other levels. It captures emotion in a way few bands can achieve. These are real songs from the heart. I just miss some of the old madness and experiement. Maybe they should give up the guitars for a while and see what other instruments they can work with.

Butterfly House
on 14 January 2011
I was aware of The Coral and knew many of their songs but had not delved further into their music. I then happened to catch them live and was astounded at their harmonies, melodies and sheer professionalism so instantly ordered Butterfly House. It has not disappointed. A west coast sound, reminiscent of many 60s bands but with their own distinctive sound. Beautifully produced, catchy, but the depth of sound and lyrics grows and you hear something new with every listening. It has been played continuously for the last few weeks and other Coral albums are on order!