on 20 July 2010
This is a lightweight, self-help book for wanna be photographers. It's a mash-up of groundbreaking ideas from the likes of Thomas Friedman, and cheap 'wisdom' from the pop business 'gurus'. In my opinion, it doesn't give enough credit to those with whom the ideas originated.

Digital photographic technology has created myriad opportunities for people who want to break into the industry. Reading this book might make you believe there's a quick route to success, but it won't give you an ounce more talent. There is no fast track to success in any creative industry. If you want a better read, and you want to forge a sustainable, long term career as a creative, try Mastery by George Leonard.
on 23 April 2011
This book is packed full of useful facts for photographers looking to set up business as a professional. The information is practical and easy to follow and covers everything you need to consider. This book will make a difference in how you approach going pro. I have found it to be invaluable!
on 5 May 2017
Very good book that makes you seriously consider what kind of photographer you want to be and why you should brand yourself.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 May 2011
Dane Sanders has done a brilliant job of giving sensible, thought through advice and comparisons in this wonderfully useful book. I have yet to finish it, which wont take long as I can barely put it down. But i suggest you do and give yourself time to digest and reflect on the ideas and suggestions within.
It will certainly make you stop and question your business practises and is a model for todays business environments - Well done Dane!
on 3 July 2010
Fast track photographer is a book focussed on the 'skill of being a photographer', rather than the skill of photography. I believe it is a unique take on a business-orientated book, guiding your development by helping you think for yourself and shape your own unique path. This 'greater self knowledge' is something many shy away from, especially if they have trained for a particular path, and I trust that many will benefit greatly from being brave and reading this book with an open mind. Dane's writing is charming, honest, personable and a joy to read; I felt that I was in conversation with him, which is a real gift.

I am in my late-twenties with a full time academic position. I see in my own profession, and those varied professions of my peers, that the world is changing - we are no longer able to succeed following the formula that those before us devised - it is clear that we will need to write new rules to succeed in this new climate. The principles Dane lays out in this book are of value to a much wider audience than aspiring photographers, and I urge you to read it. If you, like me, have been searching for your place, then this book is for you - it asks thorough and difficult questions about who you are and what you want. With excellent guided exercises, it has given me great direction, not only in the business of photography but in a general approach to both my professional and personal life.

The book comes with free access to one round of the online assessment tool `pDNA' - 150 multiple choice questions, the outcome of which is a breakdown of your personality traits as a photographer. This is designed to help you recognise where you are starting from, and it is suggested you take this test once a year to follow your development. You can also join the online forum to connect with other photographers who have used `pDNA' - another invaluable resource. I would strongly suggest that you take the test when advised to in the book (not before reading or when you finish the book) and follow the exercises through as directed, to explore your results and get the most out of it. Take your time with this book - I believe you will feel empowered by what you learn about yourself.

Read `Fast Track Photographer' with an open mind and Dane's considered guidance will arm you with an incredible set of tools to allow you to flourish is what is undoubtedly a changing world. Read this if you don't have an open mind, and find your cynicism softened by Dane's honesty and genuine desire to help enable the success of fellow creative people. Whoever you are, I believe that you will take away something which will beneficially alter your perceptions.
on 24 May 2014
Listen the clue is in the title. He says "leverage" in that stupid way some people do. If you can stomach that then you deserve this book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse