VINE VOICEon 14 December 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a great fan of Philips products, although usually good value they can be a bit variable in quality, but my wife's used these several times now and she seems quite pleased with them.They heat up very quickly,although her one criticsm is that she feels that they get a little too hot for comfort at times and need to be used with care.The digital display is nice and clear,which is a bonus for those with poor eyesight,especially as she doesn't want to have to be putting on and taking off her reading glasses to use them.In terms of hair straightening,they certainly do the job.My only reservation is that although they automatically switch off after an hour, at the temperature they reach you could burn the house down by that time.Otherwise,they're a good quality product.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Phillips ProCare Keratin Hair Straightener is good quality and straightened my hair well. The 3m swivel cord, quick heat up time and handle lock are all great features of this model. The digital controls also look very good and I like how you can vary the temperature in 10 degree increments to suit your hair type. There is also a touch up button to re-style your hair later in the day at a lower temperature. The automatic shut off after 1 hour and the carry case are also good ideas.

The main problem I have with this product is that the buttons are placed in the exact place where you would hold the straighteners and thus you either have to hold it further up in a more uncomfortable way or else risk pressing the buttons and changing the temperature. When looking in the leaflet it also explained how to use the straighteners but said that in-between each section you should wait for 20 seconds so that they don't overheat. In a product of this quality I would expect you to be able to style your hair quickly and without worry. Whilst I liked the accompanying bag, I think it would have been better to cover the insides with a heat protective mat.

Overall this is a decent pair of straighteners at a good price. However the problems mean that there are better straighteners out there. I would recommend the BaByliss 2098U Elegance Straightener - Metallic Purple as an alternative as the design is much better.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 October 2010
I think these are a good budget choice (compared to something like GHD) for straighteners.

Philips claim that the keratin ceramic plates give "smoothness, shine and instant manageability" and my hair certainly does feel smoother and the straightness lasts all day. With my previous straighteners I would not have the same straightness at the end of the day, there would often be a little more wave in my hair. There are some unusual options with functionality of the straighteners. There is an option to turn on the "SonicPulse" which makes the plates vibrate when they are pressed against the hair. The vibrations are intended to improve the gliding of the plates against the hair. I've found that using the Sonic setting does make for easier styling.

The heat setting is a wide range from 140 up to a maximum of 230°C. You can tailor your temperature to your style and hair type with variable temperature settings in 10°C increments. You can also use the "Unique Style Refresh" setting so you can touch up your hair without needing to re-style with full heat.

There is a "ready" indicator which flashes while heating and the remains steady once at temperature. It heats fast and takes less than 30 seconds to get to full temperature of 230°C. If you leave it on by accident it will automatically shut off after one hour. You can lock the plates together with a simple lock at the base of the handle. The power cord rotates 360deg in the base so it doesn't get tangled during use. It comes supplied with "luxury" heat resistant pouch - but mine was rather crushed in the box and doesn't feel particularly luxury, but it's useful nonetheless.

The only downside for me is the placement of the buttons to turn the temperature up and down - it's exactly in the place where my thumb goes when I hold the straighteners and I'm constantly changing the temperature by accident. I need to place my hand further up the device to avoid changing the temperature during use but it feel uncomfortable to use in that position. However, all in all it's a quality product and well priced too.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 November 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Philips Procare straighteners heat up amazingly quickly. There is what seems like instant heat so if you are in a hurry they won't let you down. In the box was a useful guide which lets you work out what is the best temperature to select for your hair. This along with the rest of the instructions were very easy follow; and as promised you can hear the ionic function when its on which is worth finding out about first. The procare straighteners glide easily over your hair and did left it feeling softer and looking shinier. I found the sonic function gave my fine (lots of it just fine) hair me a static look with hair sticking out everywhere. Philips have put a a lock and they will not turn on until a simple switch is pushed to the unlock position; so a degree of child protection but worth keeping away from investigative toddlers.

Like all straighteners you have to leave them on a heat-resistant surface until they cool before you can store them in the bag provided. They did cool down fairly quickly though.

Overall these Philips hair straighteners have very stylish design, fit easily into your bag when travelling and did a much better job than my older set.
VINE VOICEon 3 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Do these straighten hair? - yes slightly for 10 minutes but the results don't last in my experience. I've got fine, past shoulder length hair and I've tried this on my daughter's slightly thicker hair but we've both failed to get lasting results.
Good points - The straightening plates are thin and you can adjust the variable temps very easily. I like the lock closure option for storage which my usual straightener doesn't have. The cable is also extremely long which is really handy. There is a very nice storage pouch enclosed.
Bad points - You have an ionic and sonic option in use. Total gimmicks as far as I can tell and all that happens is the unit 'vibrates' when the plates are closed.
There are a multitude of buttons for the functions and no 'lock' feature so every time I use it I inadvertantly turn it off and change temperature leading to waiting for the ready flashing signal to calm down.
Stressful hair straightening with no results.
Highly recommend Remington S7902 Wet2Straight Hair Straightener instead.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So I'm looking at this grooming product from a man's point of view but ladies do feel free to take note of my review too. The reason I've highlighted this is that it is a common misconception that only women use hair straighteners.

Anyway I digress... this item is a top of the line product.

The positives are thus:
Handy Storage case (looks good and has ample room for more than just the straighteners)
Lockable (tongs can be locked together to avoid accidents and good for storage)
Auto switch off (good for forgetful people like me)
LED display
Adjustable temperature settings
On/Off in an easy to reach place (sounds odd but my previous two straighteners have had the on/off inside the handle close the heating element)
Sonic function (this cane switched on or off but allows a friction free glide)
Erganomic handle (easy to grip and good for short and long hair)
Keratin release (helps to keep hair healthy and not frazzled)
Heats up in seconds

The negatives were harder to think of but:
I would have liked it to beep when ready as it instead the flashing / non flashing ready sign does confuse me a little.

Ands thats it to be honest.... This is a brilliant product that matches any GHD straightener in the range and is well worth the investment and saving compared to GHD's.
on 17 May 2011
I was choosing my hairstraightener for quite a long time, since it was my first hairstraightener ever and I didn't want to burn my hair so it looks dead... This product grabbed my attention because it had ceramic plates (I heard that they help to save hair from overdrying), temperature switch, good design and of course it was quite cheap. It came next day after I placed my order and when I unpacked it I found a beautiful case inside and a hairstraightener in good condition. I've been using this hairstraightener for quite a while now, and I can tell that I really enjoy using it! It heats up quite quickly (I usually use 170 degrees mode), works without any problems, straightenes hair and keeps it in good condition (no birds' nest on the head or anything like that). I was hard though to get used to the handle at the very beginning, because of the temperature switches, which r situated right where my hand wants to hold the hairstraightener, but I soon got used to it. I keep it in the bag provided, which is really comfortable and I didn't have any problems with this product so far! Good choice for u if u r looking for medium price and good quality hairstraightener, but u also don't want to damage ur hair.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 December 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am lucky enough to have hair that is easy to manage and style but I'm very low maintenance about it - I don't use a hair dryer and although I owned a pair of the very expensive Corioliss hair straighteners I used them only a handful of times before giving them away. I am delighted with these hair straightener and have already used them more often than the others, partly because they feel more comfortabe to use. I did consider knocking off a star for the nuisance factor of the temperature button placement but decided that they still deserved full marks:

Pros

* Heats up to full blast within 30 seconds
* Clear temperature display
* Good design - looks good and they are light enough to aid styling
* Sonic button seems to help with the smooth functioning of the plates
* Quick to use
* Styling last all day
* Turns off automatically after an hour
* Useful storage/travelling bag
* Fantastic 3m long cord and swivel plug so you can twist away

Cons

* poor placement of the on/off button and temperature control buttons means that I inadvertently adjusted the controls when styling - but it's quickly fixed so I didn't knock a star off
on 22 December 2011
Philips HP8361/07 ProCare Keratin Hair Straightener

Wow, I have only used this item once so far but wow!! its sooo awesome i did one pass on my 4b/c relaxed hair and my hair stayed straight- its still straight and that was over a week ago. ive kept my hair in pin curls since. Im very cautious about putting heat on my hair and i have to say that these straightners are just heaven sent! because of the vibrations my hair didnt get any tangles it has shine and feels healthy as opposed to burnt and fragile after usiing them. Any ladies on their HHJ- i recommend this flat iron right here!it is a MUST have
on 26 November 2011
I brought these straighteners a week ago and to be honest think they are a total waste of money. Not only do they struggle to straighten the smallest kink, they pull at your hair and have a vibrate function which is just as useless. I have used numerous different makes in the past and none have been as bad as these. I thought due to them being a well known, trusted brand that they would do exactly as stated. Do not waste your money or time trying these....
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse