on 30 September 2014
I’ve bought a few items from Amazon Basics range to date and so far its been a wholly positive experience, so I had no hesitation in ordering this carry case for my new WD My Passport 1TB USB 3.0 High Capacity Portable Hard Drive for Mac - Silver.

Upon its arrival I noticed that it had been shipped in ‘frustration free’ packaging which was indeed frustration free. I had it open and in use within seconds. On initially feeling the case I was pleased with the strength of the hard shell and after examining the case stitching and general manufacturing quality I was wholly delighted.

This case fits my WD My Passport perfectly and I like the interior mesh pocket that holds the USB cable when it is not in use. In the pic I uploaded here you can see that I am backing up to my new drive with the drive sat safely inside the case. I then simply unplugged the USB cable and closed the case. Easy.

I feel totally happy with this case in every way, why pay more for a branded product when this case from Amazon Basics is just as good, if not better. Its certainly cheaper and I don’t mind cheaper at all as long as I am not compromising on quality and with this case there is no compromise whatsoever.

RECOMMENDED!
on 6 September 2017
Great and sturdy so hard drives feel protected in this casing
One side has an elastic strap for your hard drive and the other side has a mesh pocket to put the hard drive wire and other things (e.g. pendrives)
My hard drive is on the thicker side (not the newer ultra slim models) but still fits well
Packaged nicely as you can see in the photos
I ordered two cases for two hard drives and both are fine
review imagereview imagereview image
on 19 November 2017
Got this for my Seagate backup plus slim (2tb). For such a cheap item it feels very decent quality. There's a mesh pocket one side for the drive, and a strap the other for the cable. The shell feels solid enough, but on the whole it lacks the padding of other cases. Still, for the price it's fine and will work well enough to stop the drive rattling around in a drawer or backpack.

Also I ordered this in the morning and received it the same day, so well done amazon
review imagereview image
on 22 February 2013
Fits the passport range of external hard drives. Used for 500GB and 2TB drive sizes, fits like a glove. Material is hard wearing and rigid enough to protect the drives and has room for cables. Excellent value for money and feels robust enough to withstand most knocks and drops, had one for a fair while now with no problems. Great product.
on 28 July 2014
After investing in a WD My Passport drive for my travels abroad, I decided that I needed a protective case to save it from the knocks encountered as it bounces around in my day sack. The reviews for the official WD case suggested that their official product was little more than a soft bag, hence not what I needed. I thought this Amazon Basics option would tick all the boxes:

Sturdy
Compact
Cost effective

Ordered at 1730 on a Monday evening, arrived Tuesday morning after 10 am. I love Prime! Anyway, after liberating it from the 'frustration free' packaging, I found it to be ideal and indeed, all the boxes were ticked.

The zip is strong and the double clam shell design is strong enough to protect the drive from bumps and thumps. Internally, on one side there is a horizontal strap to secure the drive in, and the other has a mesh insert to keep the cable secure separate. There is also plenty of room for adding extra memory sticks and cards inside.

Less than £5 to keep all my memory storage together and prevent it from damage. Bargain!
on 8 August 2012
Until now, I put my Buffalo Ministations, the HD-PCT1TU3 type, in an IOMAX case. Works fine, but I hate it when there's still too much movement possible 'cause the case is just a bit longer than the drive.
I also had one other brand case that fitted perfectly - but is just a bit too thin to nicely hold the cable in the other compartment when the station is in.

So, when I found this AmazonBasics case, I decided to try one, after carefully judging the size of the My Passport Essential it mentioned (why are the inner sizes not explicitly given?) and reading the reviews. The fact that some reviewers tell us that their older MyPassport drives are too big for this case was an encouraging sign: I own some of those too and the Buffalo Ministation are definitely smaller!

It arrived quickly, and the Buffalos fit perfectly! Just some "wriggle" room left to the sides. Standard short cable fits nicely in the web compartment as well, it could easily accomodate two cables, or a few additional memory cards next to the cable, or so. The result is something you want to carry your external HD around in, or put it in a bag or a suitcase and feel safe. The inside is (orange) linen, the case is much like other "EVA hard cases" found on this Amazon site. No "steel" in it, but a reasonably hard and sturdy cover.

I'm a happy buyer, and I'm going to order three more today!
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 October 2015
I already have a number of similar cases for storing my hard drives in, mostly from the Case Logic range like this one Black Case Logic QHDC-101 Hard Drive Case. I ordered this one because it was cheaper and I wanted to see if it was as good, particularly since the Amazon Basics range is normally very good in my experience. The case is good and easily fits my hard drives from Samsung, Seagate etc and is also pretty well-made, even if not up to the standards of the Case Logic version. Would I buy more of the Amazon Basics ones instead? Probably not, but if cost is an issue this one makes a good alternative choice.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 January 2014
After going through some reviews, (I tend to look at the one star reviews too), I was a just slightly concerned that this case would not fit my WD 2TB USB3 HDD, yet proceeded with the purchase as I have a zillion uses for this case anyway.

So I was pleasantly surprised that that this case not only fit my USB drive, but also the USB cable. Who knows, maybe I got a larger or revised case.

For the price, I honestly have no qualms as regards the build quality of the case. On the contrary, I do think that the case is of great quality, and the hardened sides offer great protection for my drive.

Kudos Amazon. Definitely highly recommended for storing, protecting drive whilst travelling ... or any other item which fits.
on 21 August 2013
I purchased this to protect my WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black, which I have reviewed separately.

It is an excellent fit, just large enough to take the drive without having to fiddle or force it in, yet not so large that it moves excessively within the case when closed.

The elastic retaining strap holds the drive securely. The mesh pocket on the opposite side of the inside of the case is large enough to take not only the short USB3 cable supplied with my WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive, but also my Satechi smart pointer and its USB dongle.

The case exterior is hard, but not rigid, and coated with a cordura-like material. The interior is lyrca-lined. The material between is very slightly compressible, hence adding some shock protection for the drive inside whilst in transit. The whole construction is durable, very lightweight and compact, making it all the more appealing for regular use.

For those who might be concerned by the low price, don't be. This is an excellent quality, well-designed case which does its job perfectly.
on 16 June 2014
As a mistake I bought the overpriced Western Digital 2tb Mac passport hard drive, with the pretty aluminium case that matches my macbook pro, and it doesn't fit in this.

As a rabid downloader I also bought the Western Digital 2tb passport hard drive ( so now I have 4tb of storage) with just a black plastic case, and it does fit, although its tight.

Its cheap, its built cheap, but it seems to sort of do its job. If you actually cared about you hard drive, you'd buy something from case-logic, or that beautiful neoprene in aluminium waterproof case of lust from Western Digital. Pretty Amazon basics rubber zip pull though, you cheap b**tard.

My recommendation, is buy this, then take it to Currys, to choose your hard drive based on what will fit, then come back to Amazon to actually buy the hard drive. Even if you don't actually want a hard drive, go on be a pain in the arse at Currys, they are hateful people and DSG is a hateful company.