Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 23 November 2013
This is an old favourite! I have it in book form and usually read it once a year around Christmas, so was thrilled to get it as a 'Daily Deal' for my Kindle and can now read it if I'm travelling. I think Rosamunde Pilcher's book are lovely, you get drawn in by her characters, and want to live the story they are in. A bit old-fashioned by now I guess, but that suits this OAP down to the ground!
on 2 June 2015
What an lovely book! To my shame - this is the first Roasamunde Pilcher book that I have read, but as so many have said....definitely not the last. Winter Solstice is a gentle, enchanting tale with characters so finely drawn that I at least, felt that I had been watching the film rather than reading a book and was a little sad top let them all go. No bad language, absolutely wonderful and well worth a rare 5*
on 8 November 2010
This is a typical Rosamunde Pilcher book which I found myself engrossed in and couldn't wait to get back to reading about all the characters who take the lead in varying chapters throughout the book. Yes, it is a light read but that is what I enjoy rather than a serious challenge! The only criticism I have is the mix up between anti-freeze and de-icer in one chapter when the windscreen of the car was iced up - oh dear where was the proof reader?
on 5 January 2016
Got recommended this as a Christmas book, I'm a sucker for Christmas. I'm more of a Sharpe, Flashman, historic fiction type of guy. But this is a great read, described to me as comfort food on a page. Couldn't agree more, leaves a very warm feeling.
on 1 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book, my most favourite of Rosamunde Pilchers is Coming Home which I read time and time again. I love how the characters grow throughout the book entwining and coming together. Her descriptions make you feel you are there and I find I can't put my kindle down I get so engrossed. I was very sorry to get to the end of the book.

The story is based around a handful of characters who come together through circumstance and build wonderful relationships, set mainly in Scotland but a little in Cornwall and London the book winds and weaves.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 23 November 2013
I've re-read this at this time of year ever since it was first published, as it really gets me into Christmas mode. Although I obviously know the story very well by now, I didn't feel it was predictable when I first read it. I like all the characters and am somewhat mystified by some reviewers who found them undeveloped; there was sufficient background info provided about each of them and the Scottish element of the story only evolves over a few days, so how far can a character develop in that time!

Rosamund Pilcher's frequently uses an old fashioned turn of phrase but, contrary to some reviewers' views, I feel that is a considerable part of the charm of her style of writing. And what's the problem with that anyway; at least she can spell and knows her grammar and syntax! I do read books from a wide range of authors and there are some very good ones emerging. But I have great respect for all the captivating books by both Rosamund Pilcher and Maeve Binchy and it's sad that we've come to the end of their era.

I shall read this particular boom again in 2014 and have no doubt I'll still enjoy every page!
on 2 January 2014
I've always loved the Shell Seekers since I read it many years ago, but have never read any other Rosamunde Pilcher books until this one. I found the main characters very likeable and cared about where the book would take them. The descriptions of both Cornwall and Scotland made me want to return to one and visit the other. Once all the main characters had been introduced the plot was fairly predictable but this didn't distract from the book's charm, a lovely easy Christmas read. I will certainly be reading more of her books in the near future.
on 16 August 2014
This was my first book by this author and the complete opposite to my usual crime/thriller books. I just wanted something light and cheerful and this book was an excellent choice. I enjoyed all of the characters very much, very heartwarming and entertaining. A great book to get lost in when it is chilly and dark, very happy that I bought it
on 23 November 2013
I read Rosamunde Pilcher's books many years ago and forgot about how good a storyteller she is. I was checking through Fantastic Fiction and noticed this book as one I had not read. It was on offer at Kindle Deal of the Day I think, so I downloaded it. What a wonderful rounded story full of people with character, from young to old. The story full of joy, sadness, tragedy and love, blossoms into ways of life that people find in dealing with what life throws at them. It is a real page turner and I could not put it down and was sad when it ended. I hope she writes a follow on novel to let us know what happened to Elfrida & Oscar, Sam and Carrie, Lucy and Rory and all the delightful inhabitants of Creagan in Scotland.
on 18 December 2013
I first read this year's ago and this is the third time I have read it. It would be amongst my top ten favourite books of all time. The characters are wonderfully brought to life and like old friends to me. The area of Sutherland is beautifully described and you can easily bring it to life in your head. The story is a story of tragedy, love and hope. I am sorry to have finished it again. I never want the story to end.